Name on government watch list threatens pilot's career

gc70

S832:
I don't know the correct answer to this question

There is a correct answer, but you have rejected it. The answer lies in the balance and tension between individual rights and government powers laid out in the Constitution. But you have already dismissed the Constitution because it does not guarantee you perfect safety from the things you fear. Instead, you embrace every government promise that the next liberty surrendered will eliminate the thing you fear today.

Franklin only observed the immutable truth of history when he wrote in 1759: "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Aristotle understood over two millenia ago: "The basis of a democratic state is liberty."

And George Bernard Shaw understood why men embrace security over liberty when he wrote: "Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

JuanCarlos

I for one would rather see terrorist attacks happen (even if it kills myself and my loved ones) than erode the liberties and premises that this great nation was founded upon. If that happens, they've won.

It sounds so trite, but it's also so true.

S832

Personal liberties aren't worth a whole lot if you are dead. "liberty" has obvious limits, rules/regulations/laws still exist to prevent society from crumbling.

I don't think you can use a rigid ideology to fight this new type of threat or move this nation into the future. I don't think being able to fly on an airplane is an essential liberty but I think there should obviously be recourse to sort-out any issue assuming you were wrongly placed on the list.

I wouldn't mind if the FBI had the list of guns I own, if they want to waste space keeping track of them they can, I don't lose anything. I even think if there was a way to permanently sign a gun with its serial number then it would defiantly be worth doing.

I personally don't mind Brady attempting to stop terrorists from getting guns, as long as the people on the list are considered real potential threats and there is over-sight and recourse to remove your name from the list assuming you were wrongly placed on it.

I see potential abuse of this list more prominent then the No-Fly list but with proper oversight and control it might be worth doing.

Its all a balance, I don't personally lose anything with either of these lists assuming they are implemented properly, I do have potential to lose my life if a terrorist could have been stopped by either of these but was not.

Don't get me wrong, the federal government needs to have oversight which it currently lacks, but assuming proper control and restraint is used when making these lists I think there is a potential for good to come out of them.

I really do see both sides of this argument, I want to be safe - but I also want freedom, I want the government to stay out of my life - but I also want it to remain in control and defend its citizens. I wish I could say "Government, stay out of my life! I don't need you!" but I understand the government is needed to keep the country safe and stable.

I know you can't have it both ways so it comes down to a balance.

What is everyones objections with a overhauled TWL that was implemented with more over-sight and recourse to prevent potential abuse?

miboso

Personal liberties aren't worth a whole lot if you are dead.
And living isn't of much use if you aren't free. Or at least, have the potential to be free. At this juncture, I believe that we still have the potential of regaining our freedom, so I will fight on. You sir, will obviously capitulate.

As i said in post 73, "The government cannot guarantee each individual's safety, but government's duty is to defend each individuals liberty."
You are going to die at some point. It's up to you whether you die while free, or, at least, striving to be free, or not.

S832

Tell that to all the people who have died to protect them.

I respect those who died in service to this country, but if alternatives are present and the alternatives aren't that bad(personal opinion comes into play here) then I see no reason not to take those alternatives.

Stopping some people from flying while their TWL case gets sorted out seems reasonable to me.

miboso

Stopping some people from flying while their TWL case gets sorted out
I "might" grant you that point IF they were indeed able to get their case sorted out. It seems obvious that that is not happening, thus they are in limbo, unable to get on with their lives as they choose.
With so much bureaucratic incompetence and corruption, why are so many so willing to give government so much power?

JuanCarlos

With so much bureaucratic incompetence and corruption, why are so many so willing to give government so much power?

Fear, of course. It's the one of the only things that will generally make people give up liberties.

alan

S832 wrote in part:

Its all a balance, I don't personally lose anything with either of these lists assuming they are implemented properly, I do have potential to lose my life if a terrorist could have been stopped by either of these but was not.

---------------------

Looking at the antics of government agencies, TSA in particular, but not thereto limited, the assumption mentioned by S832 strikes me as one hellishly large assumption, and additionally, based on history and past performances, more unwarranted than warranted. Just my opinion though.

IZinterrogator

I respect those who died in service to this country, but if alternatives are present and the alternatives aren't that bad(personal opinion comes into play here) then I see no reason not to take those alternatives.
Well, my family is German and I'm a Christian, so if the Nazis had taken over the world, I guess it wouldn't have been too bad for me.

Damn shame about my Jewish cousins, though.

And before you say that idea is too extreme, every step away from liberty makes the extreme more mundane, and therefore more acceptable to those who roll over for their safety.

BillCA

I wish I could find the link, but I can't recall enough details to make a good search.

Circa 1961, when people could actually board airplanes carrying a gun, a flight took off from the area of Detroit or Ohio (I forget which). On board was a 17 year old Cuban who had come to the U.S. with his parents who fled Cuba's revolution. The boy was utterly homesick and determined to return to Cuba. During the flight, he pulled a large knife and demanded the flight take him to Cuba. He used a stewardess to get to the flight deck to make his demands. Unfortunately, he'd never heard the Yankee idiom of bringing a knife to a gunfight. The pilot, a Pacific Theatre veteran, pulled a snubby Colt .38 and the flight engineer disarmed the boy. [Contrary to today's environment, the flight crew allowed the boy to remain in the cockpit and the flight crew talked to him until they landed. At that time, the boy told authorities that what he did was wrong, but he'd never thought about really hurting anyone, he just longed for his home in Cuba. Two of the flight crew even stood up for the boy in court.]

My father related that his former navigator & drinkin' buddy was on flight from Denver to Phoenix in the early 1950's when a sizeable man tried to storm the cockpit of the Western Airlines (remember them? "The only way to fly!") DC-4 they were in. While flight crew and passengers grappled with the man (and he was winning) Hawthorne reached into his briefcase and withdrew in 1911. He pointed at the man and told him to "Hold it!" and that settled the affair. The unruly passenger had his hands tied (in front) and sat in the back with Hawthone riding guard until they reached Phoenix. The guy was simply despondent over a divorce and wanted to "end it all".

Today, the gov't won't trust you to get on the airplane with a pocket knife or a large bottle of shampoo. :rolleyes:

S832 said:
I see potential abuse of this list more prominent then the No-Fly list but with proper oversight and control it might be worth doing.

That's the rub... who decides on what oversight is done, how much and the rules? As it is now, the list is supposed to be excrutiatingly top secret - you can't inquire if you're on the list in advance - and no one outside of the gov't even knows how people get on the list or exactly why. Nor is the gov't able to articulate those things which by themselves or in combinations will get you on the list (though we think we can figure out some of them, there are obviously other "details" the gov't can't/won't disclose.)

S832 - You are willing to allow the government considerable leeway in dictating to you what you must and must not do in your life. Many of us are willing to abide by sensible laws that deter people from killing each other, stealing and other sorts of crimes. But when it comes to the gov't "caring for our safety" those same people would rather have that care in their own hands, where it belongs.

If you don't think you're losing anything because the no-fly list/watch-list exists, think again. Any time you need to take a last-minute or "emergency" flight, you may be prevented. This would include flying to your gravely ill mother's bedside; attending the birth of your first grand-child; flying with your critically-ill child to a major hospital's care; flying home because it may be your Dad's last Christmas. Or it could be losing your job because you suddenly can't fly to Dallas for that important client/customer meeting. Or losing a job because it requires a lot of travel and the company doesn't want to risk you not making your flights.

How long might it be before they link observation "traffic" cameras to the watch-list? Imagine driving to work and, because your name (via your license plate) is on the watch-list, as you head towards civic center, you find yourself pulled over, held and your vehicle searched -- making you late for an important business meeting. Or worse, arrested because Police find three boxes of .308 ammo in your trunk and you (properly) refuse to answer any questions.

Are you getting the point yet?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Today, the gov't won't trust you to get on the airplane with a pocket knife or a large bottle of shampoo.

That's certainly true but I hope people realize the rationale. 9/11 was perpetrated with box cutters that were not prohibited items at the time. That scenario would not play out again. The first 3 planes were in a pre-9/11 world so people didn't fight. The 4th plane was an example of post-9/11 mentality while still in the midst of the tragedy.

It's really a terrible case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't..." A person can be trained to kill with a ball point pen but we certainly can't stop every pen from boarding an aircraft. People are angry about letter openers and nail files until there's an incident, then it'll be "Why didn't you do more to stop..."

miboso

Actually the question should be "Why did you let only 2 or 3 guys armed only with box cutters take over a plane loaded with people? The 4th plane's passengers fought back. If they had fought back earlier, some may have lived. If passengers on all of the planes had fought back, the towers would still be standing.
Now, I'm not blaming the passengers, I'm saying that that was the mindset at the time. To just do as you were told. We know better now, I hope, and if someone ends up armed on a plane now the results would be different.

IZinterrogator

Is everyone else is watching The Flight That Fought Back right now like I am?

They realized that the government was not going to help them. Their only chance of survival rested within themselves, not the government. The F-16s that were supposed to protect D.C. didn't even know that there was a fourth hijacked flight in the air heading towards them. They did what they felt was necessary and no one would say they did the wrong thing. The only thing that went right on 9/11 was that the Americans on Flight 93 acted like the Americans the founding fathers intended them to be and did what had to be done.

That's how you conquer terrorism, not by taking away people's careers or harassing kids trying to fly to see their grandparents.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Sounds a lot better than "The tree of safety must be refreshed from time to time with the tears of cowards and the indifference of subjects", doesn't it?

S832

I believe in assigning specific tasks to specific people, I don't want a Auto-Mechanic performing brain surgery so why do I want some random people in a plane responsible for my safety?

Those who are trained in a specific field are usually best at it and should be the ones to do it.

What those individuals did was certainly brave but, they shouldn't have to be the ones responsible for security failures.

IZinterrogator

S832, I work for the U.S. intelligence community and I order you to never post on this thread again in the interest of national security.

If you think your banishment from this thread is an error on my part, please contact me and I will reinstate your posting privileges to this thread as soon as I get around to it. Please include affidavits from others not yourself verifying your location at all times during the period from 1992-present.

That should be about as effective as a no-fly list is in combating terrorism, I think. :rolleyes:

S832

Looking at the antics of government agencies, TSA in particular, but not thereto limited, the assumption mentioned by S832 strikes me as one hellishly large assumption, and additionally, based on history and past performances, more unwarranted than warranted. Just my opinion though.

I have no doubt that the TSA has gone overboard and is out of control, it needs to be reformed to focus in on probable threats instead of bothering random people to look like its doing its job.

With a few reforms I think the agency could do its job better and and not be as zealous in its actions.

S832

That should be about as effective as a no-fly list is in combating terrorism, I think.

Proper implementation is the key, I am not saying adjustments are not warranted - only that it has the potential to do its job well.

IZinterrogator

See, that wasn't effective at all, even though I do work for the intel community.

And since the 9/11 hijackers were using fake IDs, how exactly is this no-fly list supposed to protect us?

"Well, we can implement the Real ID Act."

Uh huh, and what if they get their hands on one of those Real IDs?

"Well, we put a chip in you that identifies you."

And when they cut one out of a dead guy?

"Well, we'll just put GPS in the chips and arrest you whenever you deviate from a routine we determine in advance."

And when I demand my Constitutional rights to travel wherever I please?

"Well, then we just shoot you."

Thanks, all I needed to know. See how this slippery slope of reduced liberties works yet?