mysteries of 22lr--part2

Dale,

If it was long enough ago, Remington made some fine stuff, especially their Match ammunition. I have a little Winchester model 57 sporter that was my grandfather's and that I learned to shoot on at 5. As an adult, I noticed the trigger return spring had plenty of room in the middle for me to drop a carefully trimmed brass rod inside the spring's hole in the trigger to serve as an overtravel stop, and that made the little rifle a perfectly serviceable casual target shooter, as well as up to chasing down even small pests like mice and chipmunks.

One day, in the mid-'80s, I decided to learn what this simple rifle might like to digest by way of ammo. I went to the range with the usual suspects, plus a box of Eley 10X and some Federal match ammunition of that time (before they came out with the dimpled case ammo for the '92 Olympics), plus one ancient box of Remington match ammo from the '50s or 60's that I'd inherited. Everything shot the same 0.5" at 25 yards except the Remington, which cut that in half and moved me out to 50 yards, where it stayed under 5/8". I don't know what the magic was, but at some time in history, Remington really knew what it was doing with 22 LR ammunition. They probably had some legacy know-how that got dropped in an ownership or management change at some point or else simply retired out.

FrankenMauser

I looked up the Lapua testing recently. I was surprised to see that it was under $100. (I believe one of the test centers only charged $50.)
However, the wait for an appointment is quite long and one of the test centers is currently closed for renovation - making the wait even longer.

As for Remington:
One of my favorite .22 LR loads of all time was 1977 production, packed in tins. Just Remington Golden Bullets. My father and grandfather bought it in bulk, in '77 or '78.
Super consistent. Super reliable.
I loved it.
As the supply dwindled, I held that back for special occasions.
About 10 years ago, there was one tin left, with only 20-30 rounds.
I sat down with my 77/22 on a bipod, in a gully in Utah's west desert, and picked Juniper berries off the trees for a little while. It was a sad but fun send-off to an old friend that never let me down.

I've also wanted to try their Polar Biathlon ammo. It's the only one with a slightly different bullet shape, having a tapered shoulder, and the drag function for it shows a very, very slightly higher BC at extreme range. Not enough to matter, but since the shape is different, I thought it still may worth seeing if one or another of my chambers prefers it.
I managed to get a box of the Polar Biathlon earlier in the year, as well as some of the standard Biathlon.
Super slippery! Crazy slippery. Beyond Eley's already super slippery lube. It is like handling ball bearings covered in calf birthing lubricant. :D

I was very disappointed in the performance of both in my 77/22 and Marlin 880.
That same day, I shot multiple sub-MoA 10-shot groups at 50 and 100 yd with both rifles. Wolf Match Extra and CCI Std were winning the day.
But I could not get the Biathlon or Polar Biathlon under about 2.5 MoA.

I know the average shooter is going to be quite happy with a 1.25" group at 50 yd. But we're not talking about average here. I want a one-hole 10-shot group! ;)

The next range trip had an old Stevens 66 come along to test some experimental sights - a tiny post insert of my own design, and an aperture so small that you lose color definition.
Both Biathlon loads shot about the same there - about the same as Aguila SE 38 gr HP bulk pack - 2.5-3" at 50 yd. (Pretty good for me, for iron sights and bulk pack.) But, again, CCI Std was better in all rifles present.
To end the day, I shot some S&B 40 gr RN from the Stevens 66, to finish off the box, and had a 3/8" 5-shot group looking back at me (50 yd).

Since it hasn't shot well enough for further testing, I have not taken it to longer ranges, or even fired it over the chronograph.

The Biathlons just don't like my rifles.
But that's okay. It just means I can save money and use cheaper ammo.

FrankenMauser said:
Super slippery! Crazy slippery. Beyond Eley's already super slippery lube. It is like handling ball bearings covered in calf birthing lubricant.

You owe me for the perfectly good Guinness Stout you made me spit up with that!

That slippery stuff is undoubtedly to be sure there is slick feeding in cold weather. The tapered shoulder seems likely to be for feed, too. I'm guessing a special chamber profile is in the biathlon rifles. The 50m prone center is only 1.8", so they'd have to be able to shoot better for biathlon competitors than your conventional chambers were doing with them. But I'm too lazy, so I think I'll take your experience as a caution and not bother.

FrankenMauser

Give it a shot.
You never know what any given rifle will like.

And the more I work with the 880, the more I think it has a Bentz chamber. It is way too tight for a sporter chamber.
(I only picked that rifle up this year, and have not cast the chamber to verify.)

Sorry about the Guinness. ;)

stagpanther

I have a 22lr match barrel with a tight chamber; it's proven to be a pain to headspace for even minute variations in cartridges and also can affect extractor's ability to grip the rim. I think if I settled on just 1 type of ammo I would use it more often, but otherwise have found I get the most satisfaction out of the stock sporter chambers.

tangolima

Everything about biathlon is weird, including the rifle, now the ammo.

Mr. Panther. Would you consider putting barrel tuner on your rifle? You may able to tune your rifle to your ammo and kick more butts. I am itching to do that myself.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

stagpanther

Mr. Panther. Would you consider putting barrel tuner on your rifle? You may able to tune your rifle to your ammo and kick more butts. I am itching to do that myself.
I do in fact have a compensator on my long-barrel jaguar--I've shot it extensively with and without and I do notice a slight consistency advantage with it on. I don't think the gas exiting the muzzle is a factor--though it could be for faster ammo that is at the transonic transition zone, more likely the weight alone of it hanging on the end of the barrel helps a bit--possibly. But the barrel is a thin sporter type barrel 28" long--my uneducated guess is that a tuner is not needed on bull/varmint profiles that are thick and barrel length is short; but I can't say for sure since I have no experience with them.

Notice FrankenMauser's mentioning of his tight chamber above. I've experimented with different makes of ammo in a custom match chambered 22lr barrel. I've found that the tighter tolerance difference is enough that it can possibly result in a headspace change between manufacturer's ammo based on minute differences in case/rim thickness, this in turn can result in stuck cases and failures to extract. As velocities and pressures mount, this also raises the probability of failure of the case at the rim--I've blown dozens of them experimenting with hand-loads and faster cartridges. Some manufacturers like aquila expressly warn (or should) of using their super velocity ammo in non-sporter chambers due to differences in case dimensions.

Last edited:

stagpanther

I'm familiar with what they are and how they function--I assumed your question was have I used one and are they worth it on a 22lr. The majority of "top tier" 22lr barrels these days appear to be very thick profile barrels in the 18" +/- range, in that application I don't see what improvement a tuner would bring to the table, longer/thinner barrels maybe so. Sounds like you're volunteering to buy one, test it out and post results.;)

If I bought a Cortina tuner I would be seriously tempted to send him a picture of a 5" group at 25 yards after mounting one (jk).:D

Last edited:

tangolima

I want to try but not to buy. I'm too cheap to fork over hundred of dollars for a hunk of metal. I'm going to improvise with something else.

There are demos on YouTube people put those things on top grade rifles. Certainly they all show favorable results. I thought it would be a way to improve your results further.

-TL

tangolima

Yeah I quite like the idea of tuning the rifle for the ammo, instead of searching for ammo that your rifle likes. Fits well with philosophy of a cheapskate like your truly.

-TL

stagpanther

That second video is by Elijah--he used to post great 22lr stuff on this forum a lot but has faded away in the past couple years. He was the one who really got me going as a 22lr addict with his on-line contests.

FrankenMauser

Thanks for that--shows you how behind the times I am--didn't know their use was common in the 22lr world.
Very common now.
I even see them showing up on stock 10/22s, RPRs, and Savage Mk IIs for NRL22 and ARA Bullseye. Which is self-flagellation in my mind, since it pushes people from Base class to Open, in NRL22. They go from having a chance at a class win with ~40-45 target impacts, to needing 50-54 to even make the top 5.

---

One of our top local shooters put together a new Rim-X for his wife in April. As usual, super heavy barrel (1.2 diameter, by 24" long, I believe). And, of course, ridiculously expensive scope, Arca rail, bag rider, levels, multiple dope card holders, bells, whistles, everything. Very expensive and 'fully loaded' rig.

She shot very, very poorly in the April match.
In my opinion, the rifle was fine. It shot great. Her problem was probably just the weight of it. In that form, it weighed TWENTY NINE pounds. She is a petite little thing. And we had some pretty terrible shooting positions that prevented using bone for support; you had to use muscle.

He decided that it needed a barrel tuner and installed one.
He had no time for testing before our match in May. So he decided to use the rifle himself, set the tuner to the same setting that he used on his own rifle, and hoped for the best, while assuming he might have to tweak it during the match.

He won the match without any adjustment. Shot 70 impacts out of 76 possible, with one target not attempted (timed out, due to a short magazine and no spare loaded*).
I had a front row seat to the show, since I was in the same squad. It was impressive to see the rifle go from "shoots great" to "always puts the bullet in exactly the same place."

She won the Ladies' division with the rifle in our July match, but she was obviously struggling with the weight of it -- and almost exclusively only scored impacts from stages shot prone or leaning over a bench.

Rifle shoots great! And the tuner made a difference. But she'd get more hits if it weighed half as much.

*It was comical to watch him fumble and try to get a loose round into the chamber - especially since he was laughing about it while doing it.
Short magazine had been the spare on the previous stage, where he had a failure to fire. Which was surprising, because he was shooting Lapua Midas+. He forgot to top off the mag and had loaned the other to another shooter for a 12-shot stage requiring a mag change. (At the time, the AICS and Zermatt mags were in short supply. There was a lot of mag sharing.)
So, he had 9 rounds loaded for a 10-round stage.

tangolima

I put a shaft collar on my marlin 81. Moved it up and down the barrel near the muzzle, and shot 3-shot group at each position. Definitely the poi moves and the group shrinks and grows. This rifle shoots 1" to 1.5” at 100yd with Aguilar ultra extra hv. For the first time in my life I saw it shot 3 rounds touching! I will bring more cartridges and a ruler to range next time for a more precise test.

Fingers crossed.

-TL

tangolima

I think my poor man's barrel tuner helps. Not exactly shots-touching good when I fire more rounds, but definitely has shrunk the group size.

Today I did a test run with the good old soda can on 150yd berm. My hit rate used to hoover around 50%. With the tuner, I got 75% if I single loaded, or 70% if I loaded the tube magazine. I fired about 20 rounds each test. That's improvement.

-TL
009d3e900eeaafcdc9c60409873648c2.jpg
d9fb9834e0d39c8b6e921be40689ff37.jpg

Last edited: