My son's first deer

castnblast

This was a really cool hunt. Saw all kinds of deer. I went with the intensions of shooting a pig, but they soon turned. My son wanted to try to shoot a deer - he's only 6, and I was not about to let him sling lead at bambi without him proving he could hit the broad side of the barn. He shot my 22-250 last year, but it was more just for him to pull the trigger. I didn't realize how much he's grown the past year, till my wife bought him new pants and they were a size 8! He's big for his age. Anyway, we got to the ranch and I was checking the guns to see if they were still on. He asked again to shoot. So I set him up a target at 60 yds. I was hoping he would hit it. He sure did. I had hime shoot a 3 shot group, and he actually shot a 1" group at 60yds off the bench. So He got the green light to take a shot. The first evening I made him wait. Deer were all over the place. We had a bobcat too. We watched lots of does, and a young 10 pt. He kept asking to shoot, and I was able to give him lessons about clear shots, what's behind the animal if you miss etc. No shots were taken Saturday. Sunday morning, same scenario. deer all over the place. Then a large, lone doe comes out by a feeder. (not my preferred method of hunting, but an excellent controlled environment for a kid) I told him to get ready. I put the rifle out the window and asked him to get comfortable, reminding him not to place his finger on the trigger until he is ready. I placed my rifle out the window to watch. I told him aim for the neck, and I'd tell him when he could shoot. The deer turned sideways and I gave him the o.k. BANG FLOP! Deer Down. I watched through my scope, went through the place the gun on safe drill, hand it to me, unload gun completely & we crawled out. High fives and I quote my son - Dad I NAILED IT!!!

I think he's hooked!!!

009.jpg

010.jpg

Gbro

Congratulations!
The way you related this story you did a wonderful job of guiding your son in the safety issues.
We start them out early here also, though it may take a few years to get the opportunity to raise the gun:(

grubbylabs

Great job!!! Mine won't be able to pull the trigger on any thing till he is 11 here in Idaho. So for know he just gets to go along for the ride.

James R. Burke

Nice job, and a big "Congradulation". It will know doubt build cofidence, and he will just keep getting better. Now comes the gutting part. Someone who never done it before I will show how once maybe twice, then it is all theres. Again nice job!

Countertop

Thats great!

I was in NY City today and took my 7 year old to the American Museum of Natural History. I love that place - and they have a great collection of Teddy Roosevelt stuff (his dad founded it) including a bunch of animals that Teddy shot.

my 7 year old saw the deer and asked when he could shoot one. I dind't think he was old enough yet, but this is a great post. Gonna take him to the range next weekend.

castnblast

yeah, The teeth will need to grow a bit! I called him the snagle tooth deer slayer. He likes that nickname. I have the feeling that picture will show up at a wedding slide show in the DISTANT future.:D

He watches the whole process - I'm not ready to let him slice a finger off just yet. In another year or two, We'll start w/ skinning, and take it from there. For the past 3 years, I've made it a point to take him w/ me and do a few blind hunts. I'm an avid bowhunter, and prefer sight and stalk, but these meat shoots are great for him to go on. He went bow hunting with me in the fall one weekend. He'll be ready next season to do those as well. We're doing a bowhunt for Axis this summer. He'll be with me on that one. as well.

I don't push them to go. I extend the offer, they decide if they want to go. My daughter age 4 got the invite first, but she didn't want to go. It was too cold. Collin was quick to offer his assitance. I want to make sure they both have the opportunity, whether they go or not. It's always their choice.