My small collection

44 AMP

Staff
Must have?

There are no must have handguns, except the ones you want. Some have suggested a 1911, and I do think any handgun shooter ought to have one. Just get a good one, and the price tag has little to do with it. I have had many over the years, but the one I have hyng on to is a 40+ years old Colt Govt Model. My son just recently got a S&W 1911PD. very nice, shoots well. I don't care for the tac rail myself, other than that, very nice.

Another suggestion I would make, and one not given so far is, get a Single Action Revolver. A big bore (.40+) or a .22LR it does not matter,although a .44 or .45 caliber SA is a lot of fun. Go with a traditional Colt SAA look, or go with the adjustable sight models for best shooting utility (like Ruger Blackhawks), your choice, either way, it will open up a whole different realm of handgunning for you. Rapid fire and rapid reloading are not the be all, end all of handgunning.

And, if you are really willing to open a can of worms, go and get a T/C Contender. Single shot, interchangeable barrels, you can collect quite a lot, all on the same frame, with the same grip and trigger pull. I have barrels in .22LR, 9mm, .357,.44mag, .45Colt, .22Hornet, .222Rem, .30-30, and even .45-70 for mine.

So go with whatever floats your boat, more of what you have, or something new. Either way, welcome to the hobby, be safe, and enjoy!

halleen1018

Great start. I don't see a single action in your group. Ruger, Uberty, Taurus, and others would work. Hey man, the sky is the limit. Start at one end of the store and work toward the other. When you can't carry them all out the door it's time to quit for the day. There is always tomorrow.

Silvanus

That's a perfect start for a well rounded collection IMO. A classic semi-auto like a Browning HP or 1911 would be a nice addition.

ragwd

Excellent start on your collection, is it hand gun only or will you expand into rifle also. If its handgun only then 1911, or a h and k. If its rifle also then a good shot gun for hd, ak, ar-15. I guess it really doesn't matter because you are prolly bitten by the bug and will continue to buy guns into old age.

Kreyzhorse

A snub or a 1911 would be the perfect additions but a nice collection as it is. You have all the basics covered (revolver, semi, 22lr).

Sins-of-Mosin

Ahh, another IL prisoner. Even worse is that you are up in the Chicago area.

My main advice to people who are getting started in this hobby is to really think hard before you buy unless you plan on selling it or trading it in the near future.

I tend to think of my next gun as what do I need. I think you need a shotgun or a rifle.

MWM

As I read it, you shoot at the range, not so much carry. What about a nice
'murcan made single action .45 colt ? Ruger Vaquero or Colt SAA, estas MUY man-cool, vato!
MWM

Attachments

• vr_5929.jpg
    vr_5929.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 23