My Review: Walther PPK/S vs. Bersa Thunder 380

Flight Medic

Came across this thread because I was wondering how the Thunder compared to the other .380s I was considering buying. With PPK's running $800+ and P238's running in the $600's, its making the Bersa (at $250) VERY appealing!!

Also, tried the Ruger LCP, but just found it too small for my hands.

(yes, I know this is an old thread, but still very relevant)

Last edited:

Laz

I like Bersas. I am ambivalent about their ILS. I do not like their aluminum feed ramp, though many would say that is no cause for concern. I would prefer a steel feed ramp. I have a Smith-made PPK/S-1 that has been flawless and side by side is actually a tad smaller than the Bersa CC model, though considerably heavier. Anyone would be well-served with a Bersa.

BWM

I have had Bersa for years Mod 85 380 and thunder 9 MM this is my second 9 in the thunder both are full size

PSP

If I were in the market for a new .380 I's also look at the Walther PK380, the various Kahr offerings, perhaps a used Beretta 84 or 85 or used Sig P230/232.

If I were to look at a Bersa, it would be the Thunder Plus, which feels much better in my hand,

zincwarrior

If you're in the .380 market for Bersa/Walther sized:

1. The wife and a friend had Bersas. After about 1,000 rounds they both started breaking down with frequency, and then the Bersa stated jamming on the wife. As that was her CHL that was unacceptable and we moved on to something else.

2. Both Browning and Rick River now offer scaled down 1911 style .380s. If I were in the market for a Walther sized one, I'd seriously think consider them.

I will also note the Walther PPS (and newer PPS M2) is the same sized, and is a sweet little shooter.

Flight Medic

zincwarrior said:
I will also note the Walther PPS (and newer PPS M2) is the same sized, and is a sweet little shooter.

Good suggestion. I have a PPS M1 in 9mm, and its a great shooter (once the trigger grit smoothed out)...but its BUTT UGLY compared to the PPK. I guess I really wanted the PPK because its such an iconic pistol. I'm just struggling with the $800 price tag...which is why the Bersa caught my attention.

amd6547

There have been a lot of Beretta 84 380's coming out of Israel as surplus for the last couple years. You can get a very nice Beretta for about $300. The 84F I got from Coles Distributing on gunbroker is utterly reliable, and displays incredible accuracy for a 380. 13rd mags, and an excellently shaped grip are nice, too.

JERRYS.

I've owned a couple of Bersa 380s over the years. none of which had the built in lock. the bluing on them was superior to what I see on many of today's guns. the build quality was quite good as well.

I've owned one Walther ppk/s .380. I won't buy another. I would like the same gun in .32acp though.

Ibmikey

This is a bit funny but the thread is ten years old, since that time Walther has taken over production of the PPK once again and there are several other micro 9mm pistols on the market that would need an evaluation with the PPK and Bersa ....my opinion, and only my opinion is for protection I would carry my Sig P 938 over my PPK and Bersa ( my Bersa is in .22 LR and very unreliable). Of course other pistols are viable today that were not made when this post began, the S&W Shield is my hands down favorite for a pocket pistol in 9mm DAO. Somwhere above a statement was made that the person would not trust his life to a cheaply made pistol and i would add that even an expensive pistol must be totally reliable.

zincwarrior

Exactly. I will not tolerate a CC pistol that fails with good ammunition.

I will note that the Bersa she had was quite accurate for its size.

qwiksdraw

...( my Bersa is in .22 LR and very unreliable)...

The BT22 is finicky when it comes to ammo. If you use 40 grn copper plated rounds rated at 1200 fps, you will find the BT22 to be reliable and accurate.

That is not a flaw, it's designed that way, The slide is kind of heavy which requires a more potent round to cycle the slide.

Hope you find this helpful.

Ibmikey

Quiksdraw, Nope high velocity mini mags, Winchester and Federal are better but still have failures to cycle, the Texas Bersa repair center did make it better but not by much. I have a Sig 938 conversion kit that eats about everything without a miss, Beretta 948, a couple of Llama .22's and SW M&P compact all cycle with the same ammo. The Bersa is just flawed somewhere but when it shoots it is a very accurate and fun.

David t.G:
I also enjoyed shooting the Bersa Thunder (a rental) much more. Interesting comparisons.
As a guy fairly new to handguns, I bought a very attractive "Made in W. Ger." PPK/S less than two years ago. With a new, stronger Wolff spring and new mag. it became very reliable.

Unfortunately, shooting it seemed very similar to using the Polish P-64 carried by two friends. The PPK/S' heavy DA trigger pull and recoil were a real disappointment:(.
Quickly switched to Bulgy/EG Makarovs (plus the Russ. .380 version) and--disregarding the glamour of the PPK/S--have enjoyed shooting them much more.:) Kept all four Maks and never looked back. No issues----at all.

PeterGreg: I also bought the Sig 232. Excellent gun.

Last edited:

michael t

I got my 1st Bersa Thunder in 2003 . as a practice pistol for my PPK/s . Walther hurts my hand by 35 to 40 rounds . Bersa I could do a 100 easy.
Well today I own Bersachat.com largest Bersa board on internet Have a 2nd thunder picked up 2011 . Have been going to the NRA conventions last several years . A guest of importer and help out at the Eagle booth.
I bought 2 of the 9mm UC pro pistols Both are now owned by other members of family .

UBGholsters got his start on Bersa board . No one was making a holster and Nate stepped up and started . Now has a going company . I carry my Bersa IWB and use his holsters for all my needs.

At time I am typing this BC has Threads: 31,172 Posts: 374,006 Members: 8,113

I carry my Bersa with Corbon DPX . I still have my old PPK/s But Bersa get more trigger time.

Come visit http://bersachat.com

If you have a 1911 http://metroarms1911forum.com have sections for most brands of 1911 also.
We have a warranty smith as a member to help you If you have a problem with your Bersa or metroarms

ttarp

Using a .22 as a standard for reliability is bound to leave you disappointed, I've found my BT-22 will eat anything as long as I only load 5 rounds in the magazine, and only mini mags with a full magazine.

At any rate, the BERSA .380 is a very nice pistol for the cost, just be aware of its quirks and limitations. Biggest complaint I hear is folks wearing out the slide stop using it as a release, its a known weak part, don't abuse it.

hemiram

I've shot a friend's Bersa a few times, seems like a decent gun. My go to .380 is my Beretta 84, or my Browning BDA 380, both of which are the absolute best .380's ever made, IMHO. You can get decent used ones on Gunbroker and other auction sites for a reasonable price. The Bersa is a bargain, and if you really have to have a new gun, I would take it over a Walther, both for reliability and for value. My Interarms Walther PPk/S was, well, pretty sad, and soon gone.

FairWarning

leadchucker said:
Interesting revival of a five-year-old thread.

.....and it's still providing entertainment 4 years after that, which is the point of this forum. :cool:

The PPK/S is such a sexy and high quality gun, and of course it doesn't hurt that it's the gun of Bond. But it hasn't really evolved much over many decades, and there are better functional choices now. Doesn't mean it isn't something want badly, just moves it down the priority ladder.

jstert

i was happy with my bersa 380 until last week the safety lever simply broke off after 30 rounds. it seems to be a problem per an internet search. sucks because i will fix it and sell it, and still have a stock of 380 ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: