my pick for 3 rifles if I was forced to choose

eldermike

For any reason I could own only 3 hunting rifles this is what I would keep.
1-22 long rifle. This would be the most difficult in terms of action type, just not sure which one. Lever action is my favorite but bolt is my most accurate.
2-25-06 Browning A bolt stalker. Sufficent for all medium game and its my second favorite cartridge. My third choice created my second by leaving no room for my favorite the 22-250.
3- 300 Winchester magnum. Mine is a winchester classic. Just like the 22 LR there has to be a 30 in my choices and this one covers all the range of bullet choices very well.

Now I hope for 2 things. First that my wife never reads this and second that everyone respects others choices.

lefteye

I assume you are referring to rifles you already own (if not, my choices would be three custom rifles.) With that assumption I would keep these if I could only keep three:

1. My Remington 700 BDL left handed .270 Win. with a Brown Precision stock and a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5 X 8 scope.

2. My Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker left handed .300 Win. Mag. with the Browning synthetic stock and a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5 X 8 scope.

3. My Ruger 77/22 with a Ruger walnut stock and a Leupold 2 X 7 Variable R. F. Special scope.

P.S. My choices also are hunting rifles because I do not compete in rifle matches, and I am not considering rifles for defense, e.g., the many AR models of which I currently have none.

Last edited:

Hummer70

Are you talking for general use or long term survival applications? There are several other things to be considered when you are talking long term survival with no spare parts availability.

shootniron

If I could only have 3 of mine...

Weatherby Vanguard in .257WM with Leupold

Browning BAR in .270 with Leupold

Weatherby Vanguard in .308 with Leupold

Ruger MKII Standard in 25-06

Savage 12 in 22-250

Remington SPS Varmint in 204 Ruger

Do way more prairie dog shooting than medium game hunting.

ndking1126

If I could only have 3 rifles, I would go Marlin 60 .22lr, .223 in Savage and .25-06 in Savage.

Unless I lived near the Rockies. Then it would be .22lr, .223 in Savage and .270 in Savage.

jrhilde

From my own collection, the Browning T-Bolt .22, my CZ 550 American in .308 and the 700 laminated in 06-----

steveNChunter

My Howa 1500 .25-06 almost made my list instead of the M700 6mm rem. Its a toss up. Theyre both tack drivers. I wouldnt wanna be without either one.

Good to see the 10/22 mentioned so often here. Guess I'm not the only one.
Think I can boil it down to 2-
The 10/22.
My 1951 M70 30-06.
I could survive with those 2 guns, the Puma pocket knife I bought when I was 19 and some matches forever.

Not allowing a shotgun makes it tough... I would take a .17 hmr for small game. A .223 for medium and personal protection. Probably a ruger mini 14. And a .338 win mag for larger stuff. Probably a ruger or remington.

stubbicatt

I love these sorts of questions

Gets me to looking at what I have and what I could improve.

If only 3 of them, then I get to cheat a little bit.

1. 22 lr bolt actioned rifle.
2. 243 bolt actioned rifle
3. 308 semi auto rifle (for which I have a 22 lr subcaliber adapter).

4. Since I get to cheat with the 22, I might substitute a 12 ga pump for the 22 lr bolt rifle.

Yep. I think that would do it for me. My 243 is pretty old now, perhaps I should get a backup for it with a new bore.