My ordeal with the Mini-14 - Pure agony

nascarnhlnra

I recall a post by Sodapop that proved a mini could be more than accurate enough for an urban defensive weapon.I wish people who just hate a certain rifle,shotgun,or pistol could just refrain from posting an insult or flame which does the post no good whatsoever.I have said it before and I'll say it again the mini 14 wasn't designed to be a battlefield weapon with a continious high rate of fire.It was more intended for plinking,police work, and other urban defensive situations. I mean really I wonder if some people use a spoon when they really need a knife ?:rolleyes:

longship

Think what you will Dave3006, but this was at our regular shooting area down along the creek from the cattle pasture. We had measured range all the way out to 400 yards. Paper grocery bags of empty cans, fill up about 6 of them in the creek, hike out to the shooting spot with my backpack, lay down in the pasture (carefully), nail 'em, walk back and repeat. Only do 6 at a time so the experience will last longer and because ammo costs a lot to a teenager. It also simulated hiking and hunting a little better. Man, I miss the freedom of those days! Now, I'm just an overweight, middle aged, average dude in a subdivision with the responsibilities of family and no free time... :(

Of course, my most of my shooting was back in the days when I shot every week, and got as good as I could with whatever I had available.

I'm much wiser now about what I can't do, now that I've read all the literature from the experts! :rolleyes:

Mannlicher

Schmit states, rather generously, I think:
Lets keep this on topic and not start questioning what someone's personal experiences were. If they didn't experience them they probably wouldn't have posted.

Hard to corral all these hot headed individuals sometimes. I will endevor to keep my own counsel in the future. <VBG :) >

longship

I apologize. I was really just trying to get some idea whether my results were really that far out of norm. Didn't mean to start a debate. I'll be quiet now.

Dave3006

Sorry, I did not mean to be offensive to longship. I just got carried away. My apologies.

Dave

... does this mean that it would be okay for me to tell you guys about the time I dumped three Victoria Secret models in one month for snoring in bed?

Now, I'm just an overweight, middle aged, average dude in a subdivision with the responsibilities of family and no free time..
I can relate.

What is the twist on the mini barrel? Is that the reason for accuracy problems.

Jamie Young

Do a little research. To sum it all up..... its not designed to have any more than a "few quick" shots before it slings shots.

Its poor QC, light barrel, bad stock/ barrel fit and just the over all gas block irratically slamming around.

The biggest problem with the Mini 14 is its always compared to the AR. I just shoot at man sized targets out to 400yds and try various bullet weights, and bullet loads, to see how various rounds buck the wind. My 69gr bullets can stay on target out to 500yds. I and don't even try to shoot out the X on a target.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Not knowing any better, I just stuck a K4 on top of my Minis and went out and shot 2 MOA and killed jackrabbits and feral cats. I allus liked my quail better than somebody else's putty-tat, and I figured it was my pasture and I decided who and what wandered through it.

The Mini to 150 yards; the Swift to 350. What's the problem?

:D, Art

Badger Arms

Art:

I've got a Stainless Steel K-4 (not painted or Nickel Aluminum) on top of my Mini-14. It shoots about 2 MOA also. This is better than half of the AR-15 types I've owned but no where near my CMP Gun.