My ordeal with the Mini-14 - Pure agony

Dave3006

I bought a Mini-14 about 9 months ago. It continually failed to extract spent shells. I won't go into all the details. However, it was not the ammo, dirty chamber, dirt under the extractor... Over several months, I sent it to Ruger 4 times. I had to deal with the most rude, slow and apathetic people I have ever delt with. Finally, they agreed to replace my gun.

I just received it yesterday. It looks like it was put together by drunk monkeys on PCP. Between the rear of the receiver and the stock, there is a huge gap. The trigger is incredibly bad (even by Mini-14 standards). The gas block is a joke. You would expect to see an even gap between the two halves held by the four screws. Mine has a V shape to it. Near the rear, the halves are touching. At the front, there is a 1/4" gap. And, the bolt stop latch does not have that small pin that runs across it.

Quick questions:

1. What does the pin do on the bolt latch?
2. Will the V gap on the gas block cause it to shoot 14" groups instead of the 8" groups the Mini-14 is famous for?
3. Can I be declared mentally insane for even thinking about purchasing a Mini-14?

longeyes

enough!

Take some photos of the gun as it arrived. Write an angry letter to the company president, include photos. Demand your money back. Tell 'em you're contacting your attorney.

My sympathies. I have a Mini-14 that so far is working okay. But you shouldn't have to put up with this kind of ****.

If there is a "v" gap on the gas block, that means that the assembler did a sloppy job. They're suppose to be attached in the same manner as tightening down the cover of an engine block (can you tell I'm no mechanic?). One corner first, then the opposite corner diagonal to it - you get the picture. If a gas block is tightened down such that it allows for even the slightest of movement, it will affect your group.

As for the pin on the bolt latch, pushing down on it releases the bolt from the locked back position.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Yeah, I'll sure go along with longeyes. There is no excuse for shoddy workmanship.

Write down all the details of your prior problems, with commentary about how much time was wasted. This will serve as in part as evidence of damage to you from their shoddy work. This, plus detailed photos of the "New" lemon, will give your attorney something to work with.

Art

Badger Arms

RUGER HAS NO WARRANTY!!!!

People fail to realize this due to their record of backing their products. The stock-to-receiver fit is normal as is the trigger pull. There is no excuse for the gas block being in that condition. Before you sue, make sure you've read the warranty... since there isn't one that's a bit difficult to do. My question is, does the gun function safely? Does everything do what it is supposed to do? If so, you don't have a LEGAL leg to stand on but you certainly do have a right to be upset.

Please post pictures. Frankly, I've heard many complaints about Ruger's being cheap-looking but you are buying an inexpensive gun. Were this on a Sporting Clays gun or an Express Rifle, I'd certainly get worried.

PJR

Ruger had good marketing and development ideas that are poorly executed. Quality control is a sometime thing with Ruger. Sometimes they aren't bad but quite frequently the workmanship is shoddy.

I've owned a Mini (and few other Rugers, you'd think I'd learn :() and it was awful in so many ways. An 8" group from the bench was a good day.:mad:

I once read that the happiest two days for a Mini 14 owner were the day he bought the gun and the day he sold it. Go have a happy day and think twice before buying Ruger.

KSFreeman

Whether you have had two (2) lemons in a row or this is par for the course for the Mini-14, I would keep in mind that the Mini-14 is not a serious weapon. It is as Bill Ruger described it "the world's most expensive plinker."

I have neither seen nor heard of a Mini making it though a carbine class.

As long as you keep in mind that it is just a "fun gun" and nothing to bet your life on, you'll be O.K. and keep you sanity. Like the others said, write a letter with photos. Be an angry consumer, then sell the stupid thing and never buy another.

Save your money buy a Wilson or other high quality weapon. You may have fewer but better weapons.

cheygriz

Sounds like a typical Mini-14 to me. I've had three of them and each was a P.O.S.

If I was Bill Ruger, I'd be ashamed to put my name on such a piece of krap.

dfm

I've owned 3 14's and 2 30's. Not a problem with any of them. Accurate enough for their intended purpose and utterly reliable. I've also dealt with Ruger for a 30+ year period. Nothing but good feedback here. Detail your problems and and see that they take care of you.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
BadgerArms: There is a concept in law of "Implied Warranty", in which a product will perform as advertised. This is separate and distinct from warranty against breakage.

Under Implied Warranty, a semi-auto rifle should extract properly and complete its cycle. I doubt it would necessarily apply to fit and finish or even accuracy, but the danged thing oughta go bang and reload itself.

Given the overall reliability of operation of other Mini 14s, there are reasonable odds for a favorable resolution.

Art

S.F.S

Dave,
One of the CEO's at Ruger in the N.H. office is Dick, can't remember his last name right now, but when you call ask for him if he is not there he will call you back.
Explain to him everything that has happened and my bet is he will get it resolved for you.
I have had several dealings with Ruger and in the end I have always been satisfied.

Good Luck!!!!

Keep us posted.

Futo Inu

"It looks like it was put together by drunk monkeys on PCP."

:) That's a good reason not to buy Ruger. There's an even better reason - they jump at the chance to destroy your rights.

How is it germane? Either Dave did or did not know about Ruger's traitorious actions 9 months ago. If he did not, it's high time he learned. If he did, then just desserts. No, not going to help his specific problem, other than to help him to realize that the best course of action is to demand his money back for this lemon, which has the added benefit of hurting the anti-gun-rights company.

Mannlicher

I see the usual Ruger Mini-14 bashers saying the usual things. I have owned many of these little rifles, including the Ranch Rifle I have now. All were 2 MOA rifles with decent ammo, all were dead on reliable, and the fit/finish was in ok for what I paid.

I was out at Trail-Glades this afternoon, mainly to shoot my new Armalite AR Carbine. I took the Mini because I changed the scope on it to an refurbished Redfield 5 Star 20 MM tube. The Ruger shoots as good as the Armalite. The only problem with the Mini-14 in my opinion, is the lack of good magazines, and the fact that Ruger never came out with a 'Tactical' model, with heavy barrel, synthetic stock, and a forward mounted Picatinny rail. Now that would have sold well.

KSFreeman

Mannlicher, that would imply that Bill Ruger's weapons are for fighting, not for sport. If you wish to trust your life to a plinker, that's your choice.

FI, I just hope they bury Billy Boy in a state where I can buy Flat Tire beer. A 6 and directions, please.:)

boing

Futo- a reasoned response, and I agree. A full refund would deny Ruger any reward for ol' Bill's treachery.

'Course, it might drain their resources more if he kept sending the gun back over and over until they got everything just absolutely right. You know, the same way .223 was "designed to wound, not to kill..." ;)

It looks like it was put together by drunk monkeys on PCP.
That would explain why the local Wal-Mart has a 10/22 with a 20" barrel. Or maybe they are running a pilot program with the GunGrabbers. If it sells good, they'll write it into law. No rifles with barrels shorter than 20". It could happen..

rick_reno

My ordeal with the mini-14

I've never owned one - but a friend asked me if I could get one to shoot "reasonably well". Having no experience with Ruger long guns, I said "Sure, be happy to" . I was assuming it would be an easy job. I began with my usual process of loading
10 rounds of ammo at various powder wts. - and figured this would work. It's worked in all my Colt 223 rifles. To make a long story short - I came away from that 2 month experience resolved to NEVER/EVER buy a Ruger long gun. The best I could wring out of that miserable little gun were sub 5 inch groups - and that was if something didn't loosen up and fall off the gun. I should have dipped the damn thing in lock-tite, I don't think there was a screw on it that didn't come loose. It was never consistent; it would group "good" on one string and the next group would open up to 3X the size of the previous. I don't know why. I gave it back and advised him to sell it and by a Colt AR. I know how to make them shoot consistently and with excellent accuracy.