My newest, unexpected gun purchase

railroader

I have a 22/45 mark III that runs great. It's more reliable than my buckmark and s&w 41. I have changed out a few parts on the ruger like the sear, removed the loaded chamber indicator and changed the bushing so I could removed the mag disconnect. Now it has a great trigger and it runs and runs. So lets see a pic of that new Ruger Mark III Hunter. The ones on the ruger website look great.

Slopemeno

I've owned my Mk-II since 1985 or so. No problems noted. Re-assembly seems diffucult until you figure out "the flip".

Mine is as reliable as any .22 is- it's ammo dependant. Bad ammo? Bad result. Good ammo? Good result.

So the Mark II was a flop? In what universe?

HistoryJunky

I'm picking it up tomorrow after work. As such, obligatory pictures will be taken and posted. The Mark III Hunter is indeed easy on the eyes.

rock185

I've not owned a MK III version but have had several Ruger 22 pistols over the years. My S&W Model 41 had a much better trigger and shot like a little rifle. But, it was real finicky about ammo and reliability was iffy to say the least. Never did find .22 ammo that could be depended upon to function reliably in the 41. I've had my 22-45 for several years now, and have used all kinds of ammo. I can recall only one malfunction. For my use, informal plinking, I'll take the reliable Ruger 22s over the finely built but unreliable S&W 41 I used to own..........ymmv

I did disassemble the 22-45 one time. I didn't enjoy putting back together and have avoided taking it apart again......

bedbugbilly

I have a MKIII blued Target and it has never given me any issues when I was shooting it. I haven't shot it much in the past four or five years due to the shortage of ammo - but it pretty much ate anything I fed it. Very accurate and fun to shoot - just wish the ammo situation was better.

As far as take down of the MKIII - if you read the instructions and watch a couple of videos on it, it's not that bad. It's like anything else . . you practice and it gets better each time.

Congrats on your Hunter - I think you'll fall in love with it! :)

Dragline45

No I don't like 22 rugers. Sorry for short answer but, I feel this gun was a total flop. The Ruger MKII was a flop so this one is also. I will never own a Ruger MKII .22. This one is just the same I won't own one a jammomatic. Ruger had it wrong with these. No idea why it continued so many years.

Maybe because they are actually fantastic pistols? I probably have 15,000 rounds through mine if I had to guess, probably more, in that I cant count the failures on one hand that weren't ammo induced, for example a dud primer. Other than that the gun ran like a champ and is super accurate, I pop a 6 inch plate at 50 yard all day with my 22/45. As far as disassembly, while it can be tricky, once you get the hang of it, it takes no more than a minute.

hornetguy

I'm also a little surprised to find out about the MkII's being "flops"....

I've had my stainless 5.5" bull barrel for...hmmmm...probably about 32 or 33 years now... I've lost count of the number of bricks I've shot through it...

It's starting to limber up pretty nicely...:rolleyes:

The only issue I've had is shooting "dirty" ammo in it. It does tend to get a little sluggish after a few hundred rounds of ammo, and needs to be cleaned.

Once cleaned, it runs like a top.

It's very simple to disassemble.... re-assembly is only a touch tricky, until you learn the simple technique... then it's about a 20 second job.

It prefers Mini-Mags, or equivalent... copperwashed quality ammo. I have shot standard velocity stuff with good results, and only occasional mis-feeds. With the quality stuff, it's pretty much flawless..... unless I let it get too dirty.

I also have a Buckmark that is a very nice pistol, as well. I had to replace the little buffer in the slide recently, but it had never been dismantled before. It has not been shot a lot (yet).... mostly sat in a closet, but I plan to "exercise" it pretty regularly.

HistoryJunky

bd95656dbd6ecad8f8d6688a1568ad9d.jpg

Here's a picture of my new catch. Can't wait to shoot it. Just wish I had some snap caps.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

ammo.crafter

MK I II III

I must say I love my Ruger MK I.

It is the gun I use in competition and has never failed tom place me within the top three if not overall high scorer.

Fantastic gun.

Enjoy it.

HistoryJunky

Just to update everyone I got my new Ruger out to the range yesterday. It was very fun and accurate to shoot with 0 failures.

I was surprised at how heavy it is. Kind of feels like shooting an air soft or pellet gun, but still fun. My wife will like it too.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

dakota1911

Must confess that I am a fan of the Ruger Mks. My Dad's MkI was the first pistol I fired when I was 7 years old. I still have MkIs, MkIIs, and MkIIIs.

I went through a couple trying different variants and building up some aftermarket parts between them. I ended up with a MK II target with a few bells and whistles that makes me pretty happy.

michael t

I love my MKII but will never take apart again . Did when 1st bought and had to have dealer put back to gather. Took him a few mins also. I shoot spray clean and rod the barrel . Little oil and done . . Been years and still runs fine. I will be dead before taken apart again.

ritepath

You'll love it....Ruger hit it out of the park with these little pistols so many years ago. Bullet proof reliability is all I've experienced with my two, an 86 MKII and 91 MKIII.

I also have an SR22 as my fishing gun that's been ultra reliable, but it'll never come close to the accuracy of my MK's...

scoobysnacker

assembly actually isn't very hard... when you know how to do it.

Since you can post here, you can access the internet. I STRONGLY recommend googling how to reassemble it. Find both a step-by-step page, and a video.

It involves pointing the gun downwards at one point, putting something in, flipping it muzzle up, and then putting the rest in.

If you're like me, you will forget these steps by the next time you have to do it, so save it; either the link, or download and save. It's free, and worth the 5 minutes of your time.