My newest, unexpected gun purchase

HistoryJunky

So with the way things have been looking recently, I was in the market for another high capacity rifle. I already have an AK in 7.62x39 and was probably looking to get another, slightly different variation of the AK. So, I did browsed pretty much every gun store within 50 miles or so, and no luck.

I came back this Saturday to Freeport, and decided to pay the local fun shop a visit. No AKs, just ARs, which do not interest me.

Feeling disappointed, I looked into the handgun display shelf close to me. Lo and behold, staring back at me was a lightly used Ruger Mark III Hunter. Not knowing it was used, I thought it would be out of my price range. I asked the gun shop salesman to check it out anyways. It will end up following me out the door on Tuesday, for just a hair over $450.

Did I score a good deal? I think that I did, and the gun feels great in my hand. Even has a scope mount if I chose to go that route.

1969Colt1911

No I don't like 22 rugers. Sorry for short answer but, I feel this gun was a total flop. The Ruger MKII was a flop so this one is also. I will never own a Ruger MKII .22. This one is just the same I won't own one a jammomatic. Ruger had it wrong with these. No idea why it continued so many years.

Last edited:

1969Colt1911

I don't know so much specific about disassembly. I do know the gun is very accurate. I just never had good reliability out of this gun type.

1969Colt1911

From what I understand takedown does take a minute. And you will need instructions. If you already purchased good for you. Now all you need is ammo,cans, and sunshine. No worries its what u chose, I'm just a jerk writing.

Ifishsum

Well disassembly isn't bad but re-assembly can be a bear...has to be done in a very specific way. I had a MKII Target for a few years and it was a sweet shooter but I didn't use and clean it often enough to remember the re-assembly trick and had to break out the manual each time LOL.

HistoryJunky

Haha I appreciate the offer. We both live in America I imagine and are free to our opinions. No harm done.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

HistoryJunky

Well disassembly isn't bad but re-assembly can be a bear...has to be done in a very specific way. I had a MKII Target for a few years and it was a sweet shooter but I didn't use and clean it often enough to remember the re-assembly trick and had to break out the manual each time LOL.
Yes I mainly bought it as something for my wife to shoot comfortably so she will be more inclined to shoot with me. She has neuropathy and most guns more than a .22 will hurt her.

I'm trying to get her past the fear and see if she can shoot my CZ85b comfortably.

6mm

Love the MK II's, currently have a blue STD and a SS Target. Would not sale either. Haven't had any luck with MK III's

IMG_2022.jpg

HistoryJunky

Love the MK II's, currently have a blue STD and a SS Target. Would not sale either. Haven't had any luck with MK III's

IMG_2022.jpg
Those are a slick looking pair of Rugers. I'll make sure to post a picture of mine when I pick it up. I'll probably shoot it this Saturday too and post some results.

Mike38

The Ruger MKII was a flop so this one is also. I will never own a Ruger MKII .22. This one is just the same I won't own one a jammomatic. Ruger had it wrong with these. No idea why it continued so many years.

You must have gotten ahold of a bad one. My 15+ year old Ruger MkII 22/45 works flawlessly with every type of ammo I've tried in it, with the exception of Winchester 36grain hollow point, which does jam into the feed ramp. 40grain solids work great, with the best being Federal AM22.

jonnyc

I love my Buckmark, so I guess I'm supposed to hate Ruger .22s, but I have never heard of the major problems described above.
That said, I think 99% of the problems that any .22 semi-autos experience are due to over-cleaning or ammo aversion. First try all the different flavors of ammo you can find to see what works best in your particular pistol. Second, don't dismantle your .22 pistol. Get a can of 'Synthetic-Safe' spray cleaner and go to town on the gun when it starts to jam, or every 3000 rounds, whichever comes first. Then a bit of spray air, followed by a quick spritz of dry-lube in the guts.

rt11002003

I really like both the Mark ii and the Mark iii. I have a total of four, all are target models. They've been modified using Volquartsen Accurizing Kits; two have also had the Volquartsen disconnector installed and the internal rubbing surfaces smoothed and polished.

They compare favorably with my two S&W Models 41 and a Hammerli Xesse Target, at considerably less expense.

About two years ago, I bought a BuckMark Micro Target and a S&W Model 422. The BuckMark was a nice gun, but I never warmed to it. Really liked the 422, but the barrel loosened. At the time I didn't feel like messing around with either; sold both. Last month, I bought two S&W Models 422, a short barrel and a long barrel. Would like another Buck Mark Micro Target.

Each of the guns mentioned have their quirks for assembly and disassembly. I don't find the Rugers to be anymore difficult than the others.

The SIG X-5 and X-6 are the simplest to break down and reassemble. Rack the slide back until it locks, remove the magazine, rotate the slide lock pin/button and push the slide off. Reverse for reassembly.

cc-hangfire

Some of the previous posts have had bad experiences with their Marks; not me though.

The Ruger Mark design (Standard, Mk I -II-III) has been in production for about 60 years without major design modifications for good reason. I have a Mk II that I bought used, & it shoots all bulk & premium .22 ammo without feed or ejection problems. My 25 year old son prefers it over other guns I have (Springfield 1911, CZ75, Berretta 96, SIG P226, Glocks, ...) for fun range shooting, & mine is a no-frills model.

I enjoy a mechanical challenge, so I'm not normal in regard to disassembly/reassembly but that can be a challenge; I kinda enjoy it. If you don't want to do it, spray it out thoroughly with brake cleaner, (or other similar gun cleaner of you choice) run a bore snake through the barrel, add a few drops of oil in the bolt area and it'll keep running. I have a friend who hadn't disassembled his Mark I in over 30 years; brake cleaner & oil worked for him.

As far as value, I can't help you. The Hunter model is one of the premium models though.

Fishbed77

No I don't like 22 rugers. Sorry for short answer but, I feel this gun was a total flop. The Ruger MKII was a flop so this one is also. I will never own a Ruger MKII .22. This one is just the same I won't own one a jammomatic. Ruger had it wrong with these. No idea why it continued so many years.

What does it feel like to be at odds with pretty much the entire rest of the shooting world?