My new Swiss Army Pistol

johnbt

I have wanted a Swiss Army Pistol for a long time. It's a Pistole 49 with sn 189xxx, so it's from near the end of the run in the mid-70s. The end was 213,110 iirc. The stocks should be plastic, but it came with these so I'm happy. They appear to be mid-80s commercial production for the P210 I'm told.

Shoots better than it looks too, but that's no surprise.

DSCN0232.jpg

DSCN0233.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

Morgo

Congrats!
I picked up one similar only a few months ago, it was something I had been wanting for a long time as well.

P1040509.jpg

johnbt

Good looking pistol. And thanks to everyone. I hadn't been shopping for a P210, but just ran across what seemed to be a great opportunity to get a pretty nice condition shooter grade Swiss military pistol. That's all I was expecting, a nice clean gun with fixed sights and a little holster wear. I bought it without seeing a pic of it.

It was cleaned & lubed when I picked it up, but the controls were stiff; stiff like a new gun that hadn't been cycled much. It shoots like a dream.

We won't talk about the PW Arms import mark on the slide (which I did see a pic of on another similar gun.) PWA should not be allowed near tools.

John

mjackson1

Congrats John, hope you work that girl over! I really dig the dual finish look of your pistols, gents. And it's true, there is no redemption for clumsy importer marks. FOR SHAME!!

AustinTX

Beautiful! Congrats! I struggle to find the words to describe what amazing pistols the P210s are.

I need to snap some photos tomorrow of the P210-6 Heavy Frame that I picked up last week. :D

johnbt

I love the way this pistol handles and shoots. I bought a used mag on line yesterday. Only $150 plus postage. And I ordered some GECO/RUAG plinking ammo which comes highly recommended for these guns.

Now I'm ready to retire. :cool:

pilpens

It is a nice pistol. I am curious at how well a 1911 9mm compares to this.
Would you say that this pistol handles/feels better than a 1911? or maybe a S&W 952?

kadima

It would be like comparing apples with oranges. The 1911 and the SIG are two worlds apart.

Like asking if it's better a Jeep or a Corvette....

IMHO

K.

WVsig

Top Gun Supply?

It would be like comparing apples with oranges. The 1911 and the SIG are two worlds apart.

Like asking if it's better a Jeep or a Corvette....

A lot depends on what 1911. Vs a production 1911 I would agree but against something from Heirloom Precision or another full house custom maker? IMHO at that level the differences are much smaller.

johnbt

Thank you. I waited a long time for one of these.

"Would you say that this pistol handles/feels better than a 1911?"

They're different, but both point naturally for me. It is a well built machine from top to bottom. I also like the small sights. Fwiw, my favorite plinking 1911 is a blue Colt WWI Repro and it has small sights. Talking about comparing, there's a lot to be said for specifying the brand and model of 1911 you're comparing it to.

The P210 factory standard for accuracy was a group less than 5 cm (1.97") at 50 meters (54.67 yards.) From what I've read, the guns will hold that standard indefinitely. I have no idea what kind of steel they used on P210s, but it must have been a bear to machine. Some of the fancier target models shot groups half the factory standard at 50 meters.

I've learned a lot about P210s in the past week and a half.

WVsig - Yes, straight off the pallet. Even a blind pig (me) finds an acorn sometimes, etc.

FALshootist

Great gun with a great reputation for accuracy. I have my doubts about it being $2,499.95 great though. Especially for a mass produced factory gun. But we all have our own taste and values. Hope you enjoy your new gun and hope it shoots as good as it looks.

I initially missed the post that a used mag is $150. Can't say anything about that. You know what our mothers tought us about not saying anything good.

johnbt

"Especially for a mass produced factory gun."

All factories are not created equal. Neither are all designers. Or all guns.

I'm thinking about buying another one, but I don't want to be a hog. He initially had them listed as one to a customer. Sometime near the end of last week he said there were 12 left. But that was last week.

How many Swiss Army Pistols fit on "a small pallet"?

"You know what our mothers tought us about not saying anything good."

Your mother knew about the P210? ;)

John