My List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevens

...So, I get to address every pistol on that list and say why I would or would not buy one? Cool!
As long as it's understood going in that I don't have any of them, and I'm just posting my knee-jerk reaction. :eek:

- Colt Delta Elite - 10mm - 8rd
Not buying this one. Colt is a company that so many folks have an unusual love affair with, but they don't have me. They've let shooters and owners and Colt lovers down enough times that they simply don't interest me. Would I take a Colt? Of course. But rather than go buy a Delta Elite, I'd put the same money toward a Fusion.

- Sig P229DAK - .40 S&W - 12rd
I'd love to get familiar with Sig's DAK system, but not at Sig prices. Also, there's nothing in .40 S&W that interests me. Like you, I'm a long time reloader. This caliber offers me nothing other than a very unforgiving caliber that isn't overly friendly at the load bench.

- Sig 1911 Target Stainless - .45 ACP - 8rd
I'm not clear what Sig offers as a 1911 that's better than other choices. Sig has found a way to try and make it a little uglier than most. I can't see a reason to buy Sig's version.

- Ruger LCP - .380 ACP - 6rd
For a guy on a budget, I think this one is a good choice for a deep conceal pistol... the gun you'd carry when you can't carry a gun. However, if you are well funded (and that's just an assumption based on the length and scope of this list) then I'd buy something of more quality than the somewhat questionable LCP.

- Glock 21SF - .45 Auto - 13rd
A big, huge, plastic .45. I don't really see a reason to want one of these. If I'm shooting a large .45, I'm wanting a 1911. Yeah, less ammo in the 1911, but a large handgun to me is a range handgun. I don't need hi-cap on the range.

- Glock 30SF - .45 Auto - 10rd
This one would interest me much more, a concealable .45. Of course, I'd simply stick to the G29, so I really wouldn't have much interest in this one.

- Glock 23 - .40 S&W - 13rd
As said before, I haven't got a need/want/use for any .40 S&W. I really, really don't want a .40 Glock.

- Glock 19 - 9mm - 15rd
This one doesn't really do much for me. Not full size, not subcompact. I'd take either over this mid-size one. But as for a durable pistol that will eat ammo all day and not ever put up a fuss, this is a good choice.

- Browning Buckmark Contour Lite 7.25 - .22lr - 10rd
All the Buckmark pistols are decent guns. I'm not familiar with the "contour lite", but I wouldn't argue with anyone who needs a Buckmark.

- S&W 310 Nite Guard - 10mm - 6rd
Now I love me a 10mm, and it's fun to see any mfr adding a 10mm to their lineup... but I think the good folks at S&W were smoking the pipe when they came up with their MSRP's for these new series of Nite Guard revolvers. If I were going to throw that much money at a big, black revolver, I'd also consider that 8-shot .357 Mag monster.

- S&W 620 - .357/.38 - 7rd
Not familiar with this one. Is this a J-frame? Not a big J-frame groupie.

- S&W 460 Perf. Center Comp. Hunter - .460 S&W - 5rd
I'd take a .460 rather than a .500, but in the real world, I am not a hunter, so this is nothing I could find a real use for. I've got lots of toys, I wouldn't be at all likely to buy something where brass is hard to get and a box of ammo burns half a pound of powder.

- Beretta PX4 Storm - .45 Auto - 10rd
- Beretta PX4 Storm SC - .40 S&W - 10rd
Part of what I love about handguns are the look. I'll admit it... it's a visceral thing. These PX4 series of pistols from Beretta are too goofy for me to ever even consider one.

- Beretta 92FS - 9mm - 15rd
Here's one I like. I have a Taurus PT-99, and I do prefer the safety system on the Taurus, but it wouldn't stop me from wanting the Beretta... especially when you consider the role it would have in my safe. Plain and simple, it's a range toy for me. It's too big a size, and too small a caliber to fill any other role for me, so the safety system wouldn't matter much to me.

- Walther PPS - 9mm - 7rd
Doesn't do much for me, and there's plenty of other pistols that, IMO, do the same job, better. Perhaps something from Kahr here.

- Para USA PDA LDA - .45 ACP - 6rd
- Para USA Super Hawg - .45 ACP - 14rd
I'd like to try their LDA system, but only for a carry gun, so the Super Hawg would be of little use to me. The little one, sure, I'd give that a twirl.

- Springfield Loaded - .45 ACP - 7rd
I'd love to have one of these, but I don't see a lot of need in my collection for repeats of the same thing. I know a lot of folks love to compile similar handguns, but I'd rather diversify. Give me the Fusion I mentioned earlier, and I'm good to go for a 5-inch 1911, .45. Oh, wait... I ordered that Fusion instead of your Delta. So I need two Fusions. Someone call Bob.

Now I'm sure not a single bit of that helps you in any way, but it was fun to do just the same. :cool:

Sevens

Now, my list. I probably won't be buying any of these any time soon, since I've bought four in the last two years, which is a lot for me. Also, got a new bike on Saturday... so the only shootin' money I'm likely to spend is powder and primers. And bullets.

Anyhow, I'd like to run out and get:

--EAA Witness Elite Match, 9mm
Folks seems to think these are a helluva lot of gun for a reasonable outlay of cash. That grabs me, because I'm a guy who loves (and needs!) value. I'm not cheap, I will spend the money, but it's got to offer value. In these guns, I see a decent shooter and one seriously good looking pistol, and in a platform that has had many years and hundreds of thousands of successful, happy shooters. I like to handload cast bullets in 9mm, and I'd love a range gun with great accuracy. This one really has me.

--Ruger LCP, .380
As I said, a gun small enough to take when you just can't take a handgun. That's what it is to me. Only thing I don't like about these is that I want to put many hundreds of rounds through ANY handgun I own, and I don't see this pistol as a gun that will tolerate a lot of shooting. A lot going on in a very small piece of equipment. I have my doubts about the durability of one. The price is attractive.

--Fusion, 5-inch, .45
I don't need another 10mm, I already have two and love 'em to death. I want one really beautiful, high quality, accurate and fine 1911, and I have myself convinced that Fusion is the one I'm after. I think I'd be easy to please when it comes to different options for checkering and farkles, I just want a pistol that runs. Don't need anything ambi, don't need any magwells or funnels, just need a fine trigger and decent sights and the rest is just details. Is this something I'll pull the trigger on, or get over? Only time will tell.

--Someone's beat-up .357 Mag revolver, 2 or 3-inch barrel
I want a gun that's been holster worn to hell or torn up, something that works but is discounted because it's miles from new. I'd like it for a car gun... for all the ignorant places I go where concealed carry isn't legal. What I'm after is a gun that won't give me an ulcer for the rest of my life when it gets stolen out of my car because I wasn't allowed to carry it when I left my car. S&W, Ruger, even a Taurus. Probably not a Rossi or Charter.

--HK P7, 9mm
I've read too many people who think it's just a damn fine gun to pass this one by. I've never had the pleasure to shoot one, but I've handled one and tried the cocking system and the trigger and it just seems like a pistol I'd enjoy. I'd be fine with one of the German trade-ins.

--S&W single stack 9mm, 3rd Gen (3919 3914 3953 3954 CS9 908)
I'd like a smaller carry gun for warmer weather than my G29. I have no interest in a double stack 9mm made by anyone for this particular role. I love S&W metal semi-autos, especially the 3rd Gens, so I'd really love to get my hands on one of these.

--Another rimfire, something a little smaller, lighter
--Mark II, III, Buckmark, S&W, something
What I'm after here is a rimfire pistol to add to my lineup to better fill the role of "first time shooter handgun." My two rimfire are a 6-inch S&W Model 17, which is gorgeous and a tack driver, but it's fairly large and heavy for younger or smaller shooters. My Ruger Mark II Stainless 5-1/2 bull barrel is one of my favorite handguns, but that fat barrel is HEAVY for a new shooter. I'd like to have something to better fill this role.

--Ruger Super Redhawk, .44 Mag
I'd like to have a nice, large .44 Mag, and I think I'd prefer this over an N-frame Smith.

--Original Coonan... say a model B
This is a dream list, right? This pistol blew me away back in the 80s when it came out. I've never even held one. I hear the Coonan guy is trying to get a new pistol to the market, I'd like to see it.

--Springfield XD or XDM, Subcompact, 10mm
Yep, they don't make this. If they had, I would have likely bought it over the G29 that I did buy. I like the XD and the features they put in to it to attract the Glock market, but they haven't brought a 10mm to market, and I wish they would. I would also look at an M&P compact if they also brought a 10mm to market.

That's all I'm thinking of right now. I'm sure I forgot some important ones.

jgcoastie

BTW, the biggest "hole" I see in your list is the lack of a SW J-frame. My choice would be one of the Airweight .38 spl J-frames. I can't tell you how many times I've thrown one into a pocket holster as I have run out the door.

Already got one. S&W 642 CT - .38 SPL+P

Glock 19 - 9mm - 15rd
This one doesn't really do much for me. Not full size, not subcompact. I'd take either over this mid-size one.
That's what I like about that size. Sidearm/HD and CCW in one gun.It's a medium that takes the stead of the bigger and smaller models very well.

agree with you on the Nite Guard prices. They're ridiculous.

jgcoastie

I agree, the price tag on some of these guns is crazy. However, I'm perfectly happy with picking one up used in good condition. If I can't find one used and there's a model I want at the gun shop, I'll either buy it right then (if I have the dough) or put it on layaway (much more likely).

Money is somewhat of a concern, but if I'm saving up for a gun, it's a worthy investment to me. I'll be a lot better off than I would be spending that much at a topless bar, or any bar for that matter... Most, if not all, of these guns will still be around long after I've passed on... It's not like I'm saying I want to go blow $20k in Vegas one weekend. I'm talking about slowly buying 2-3 guns per year until I have a 'complete' collection. It won't be worth as much as a rack of Holland & Holland doubles, but it will mean a lot to me, as well as my children who will have them many years after I've taken the long dirt nap...

Some people won't like my choices and that's fine with me. Some will think I've commited treason by not including their pet maker, but oh well...

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.