My List

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgcoastie

Okay, before we get started, let me say that this is not a list of things that I'm rushing out to buy tomorrow in a mad frenzy/buying binge. This is a list that I've compiled of several handguns that I intend to acquire over the next few years, and I'm in no particular hurry to get any of them.

These will be in addition to the following handguns I already own which include:

- Glock 20SF - 10mm - 15rd
- Glock 22 - .40 S&W - 15rd
- S&W 642CT - .38SPL+P - 5rd

I would like your esteemed opinions of the following handguns I've chosen; what you like/don't like and why. Please include accuracy, reliability, aftermarket parts/holster/magazine availability, and other issues that would be helpful to know. I handload, so ammo price/availability is not as big of a factor for me. Thanks guys/gals.

Here's the proposed list:

- Colt Delta Elite - 10mm - 8rd
- Sig P229DAK - .40 S&W - 12rd
- Sig 1911 Target Stainless - .45 ACP - 8rd
- Ruger LCP - .380 ACP - 6rd
- Glock 21SF - .45 Auto - 13rd
- Glock 30SF - .45 Auto - 10rd
- Glock 23 - .40 S&W - 13rd
- Glock 19 - 9mm - 15rd
- Browning Buckmark Contour Lite 7.25 - .22lr - 10rd
- S&W 310 Nite Guard - 10mm - 6rd
- S&W 620 - .357/.38 - 7rd
- S&W 460 Perf. Center Comp. Hunter - .460 S&W - 5rd
- Beretta PX4 Storm - .45 Auto - 10rd
- Beretta PX4 Storm SC - .40 S&W - 10rd
- Beretta 92FS - 9mm - 15rd
- Walther PPS - 9mm - 7rd
- Para USA PDA LDA - .45 ACP - 6rd
- Para USA Super Hawg - .45 ACP - 14rd
- SPringfield Loaded - .45 ACP - 7rd

Anything I missed?

Anything I should reconsider based on your experiences?

Thanks again.

CDH

Way too much redundancy going on, and too many calibers to have to stock ammo for. You can pare that list to a few less and buy other more interesting pistols with the savings.

CortJestir

If you are collecting for collecting's sake (like stamps, coins or baseball cards), then your list is obviously OK - might as well put on as many as you can. But if you plan to shoot these guns and enjoy them, I think you will be better served (and save money and time) if your collection evolves organically.

You will find one handgun you like and try out others from that manufacturer. You may decide you like only all stainless steel guns or prefer only synthetic-framed wonder-9's. You may forgo one caliber entirely or dismiss an entire line of guns due to the type of action. Who knows?

If you develop a theme for your collection, it may be easier to not only keep costs in line (if that is an issue for you), but also to focus on the guns you really want.

Just my $0.02. Making lists is fun, though. My wishlist reads like catalog from CDNN...:D

Singlesix1954

As the illness progresses in your mind your list may evolve into something different altogether. For now just make a list of what you like and buy what you enjoy. No one but you can tell you what you like so go from there. Keep in mind a good 12 step program for the Firearm Impared is one new gun a month for a full year.

Chesster

The Glock 19 and The Springfield Loaded are two of my favorites. The SA loaded is a modestly enhanced 1911 and the G19 to me is the best compromise for a full time carry IWB gun.

The Great Mahoo

I think you could cut down on the list to save some money w/o losing much in terms of enjoyment. For example:

- Glock 19 - 9mm - 15rd

Glocks don't change much, IMO, and you already have 2. I'd pick either hte 21 or 30 (probably the 30) and sell your 22. You'd have 2 guns of different calibers, but not excessivly so. Since you handload, theres little difference not to use the 10mm over the .40, so you could off load that to help get other items.

I would also suggest avoiding getting into too many cartridges over all, but thats just me. I like to stick with just a few for revolvers and a few others for auto's.

Of course, if you are not in a hurry for stuff, I would just make these types of additions last, since they bring the least to the collection, IMO.

Chuckusaret

I don't own any guns that I don't shoot at least monthly so my list is rather short:
Springfield XD40 sub compact (CCW)
S&W M&P 9MM compact
S&W M&P 40 cal
S&W M&P 45 cal
NAA .380 (CC backup)
Bond Arms Snakeslayer Derringer, 410 GA / 45cal
Mossberg 500 12ga 20 barrel Persuader for (HD)
Bunches of old shotguns

overkill556x45

DW CBOB
S&W Model 10
S&W 686
CZ 97B
Ruger Alaskan .454
Armalite AR-24 (trading in the G17 for one in about two hours)
EAA Witness Match 10mm

I can't start accumulating pistols until my wife and I get real jobs and buy a house. My meager collection now is hard enough to pack to the range and back.

IMTHDUKE

If it's all hang out, balls to wall.....replace the LCP with a Seecamp .380 and the glocks with HKs and your good to go.:)

jgcoastie

I guess I should have included a little reasoning... I don't need any of these as my current lineup suits all my needs rather well. This is a list of wants... Here goes...

- Colt Delta Elite - 10mm - 8rd
I want another 10mm, and this seems to be one of the best made. Also satisfies some of my cravings for a 1911

- Sig P229DAK - .40 S&W - 12rd
This is our standard issue weapon. I want one so I can become even more familiar with it and increase my accuracy.

- Sig 1911 Target Stainless - .45 ACP - 8rd
I want to have a few 1911's and this one just seems to 'fit' me. I would probably never carry it, but I know it would be fun to shoot. The fit and finish of this gun suprised me and I think I'd be hard-pressed to find a better build under $2K.

- Ruger LCP - .380 ACP - 6rd
Everybody needs a good pocket rocket. The wife would probably carry it more than I, but it's still a handy little gun.

It's essentially the same gun as my G20SF (which I love) just in .45. Everybody needs a good hi-cap .45 right? I probably don't need one, but I want one.

Concealable little brother to the G21SF.

Even more concealable than my G22.

- Glock 19 - 9mm - 15rd
Cheap to shoot, fit's the wife's hand, an all around good gun.

- Browning Buckmark Contour Lite 7.25 - .22lr - 10rd
Really cheap to shoot, very accurate, fitted with a mini red-dot it would be a great little plinker.

- S&W 310 Nite Guard - 10mm - 6rd
To complete my 10mm collection. Also could use higher power hand loads with it.

- S&W 620 - .357/.38 - 7rd
Everybody needs a good .357.

- S&W 460 Perf. Center Comp. Hunter - .460 S&W - 5rd
Certified brown bear slayer.

- Beretta PX4 Storm - .45 Auto - 10rd
Not 100% sure about this one due to mags/holster availibility. Not sure I'd really use it if I've got a G21SF. Subject to removal.

- Beretta PX4 Storm SC - .40 S&W - 10rd
Same as above. Not sure I'd use it if I've got a G23. Also subject to removal.

- Beretta 92FS - 9mm - 15rd
Everybody needs one. Some of our deployable LE units still use the M9 due to it still being a NATO round and standard issue weapon of all other branches. It would be prudent of me to own one and be familiar with it if I'm ever selected for such a unit.

- Walther PPS - 9mm - 7rd
Wife loves this gun. I'm fond of it as well. It's super flat and concealable. Cheap to shoot. Fully ambi, which is good b/c she's a righty and I'm a lefty.

- Para USA PDA LDA - .45 ACP - 6rd
If I were ever to carry a 1911, it would be this one. I only like DA/DAO for carry.

- Para USA Super Hawg - .45 ACP - 14rd
Great gun for bowling pin matches. Shot a friend's and loved it. It was a kitten to shoot. 6" barrel is very accurate.

- Springfield Loaded - .45 ACP - 7rd
Great all around 1911. Fit and finish is great. Highly recommended by many on these forums as a great mid-level 1911.

Hope I cleared up the mud as far as why I chose these...

As far as having multiple guns in the same caliber... Some ask why? I ask why not?

As far as having multiple calibers to keep track of, a lot of people own a 9mm, a .40S&W, and .45ACP. Yes, it's a little more hassle to keep track of 5 or 6 different calibers, but it's not that difficult. I have access to all the large ammo cans that I'll ever need. Stick a piece of duct tape on each and label them. Keep it all seperated, one caliber per can. Simple enough.

As far as having multiple magazines for different weapons go... You can get Glad plastic storage boxes (tupperware) at Wal-Mart for about $1 each. One box for each type of magazine. You could even label each magazine with a P-Touch label designating it's gun and caliber. Simple.

It should be known that I'm a neat freak. If it's not sorted and organized, it will be in short order.

Last edited:

Nikop23

My List

Handguns in .40 SW

Sig P239 SAS
Sig P226 Equinox
FN P40
Kahr PM4044
Glock 22

Handguns in 45

Kimber Eclipse series 1911

Shotguns

Benelli Supernova 12ga

Rifles

Mosen Nagant
FN P90
FN PSR I .308
Marlin Model 336C 30-30

scorpion_tyr

I don't know about the Para Ordnance Super Hawg, but my Big Hawg has a really weak finish. It already has several dings and scratches in it. I'm not super gentle with my handguns, but I'm not rough with them. None of my other handguns have this problem and I've had them all longer.

If it has the same magazines as well I would get after market magazines. I believe ProMag makes the ones I picked up. The factory magazines have a plastic bottom that comes off VERY easy.

Besides that I don't have anything bad to say about it. It's gone bang every time I pulled the trigger :D

KyJim

I think all the guns on your list are fine firearms. Don't worry if there's some redundancy. Buy what you want. I own several SW .357 or .38 spl K-frame revolvers and several .45 acp 1911s. I also wouldn't worry about too many calibers. You may find yourself using different types of ammo for the same caliber of gun anyway. For example, you may want the 230 gr bullet in the full size .45 acp pistols but a 185 gr bullet for the compact .45 acp. I think you'll find yourself mostly shooting only a handful of guns anyway. Buy a lot for those pistols and not as much ammo for the guns you don't shoot as much.

BTW, the biggest "hole" I see in your list is the lack of a SW J-frame. My choice would be one of the Airweight .38 spl J-frames. I can't tell you how many times I've thrown one into a pocket holster as I have run out the door.

MikeinLA

I think you would be remiss not to add a CZ 75B to your list. Since you're not in Cali, look at the new stainless one...drool.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.