My Latest Purchase

XD Gunner

Unfortunately, those won't work as they're for a square butt revolver and, judging from the pics, you have a round butt gun.

It is round. I would love those S&W grips, but they aren't in the cards it seems. I like the Eagle grips, but I want to try to keep it S&W if I can, I may have to break down and take some checkered grips.

Has anyone used the Eagle grips? I assume that you have, Webley. On a 1-10, what do you rate them in comfort, aesthetics, and quality?

stevieboy

Nills (Nill Griffe) makes some fabulous grips for round butt K and L-frame guns like your 686 that duplicate the famous "coke" grips that Smith put on their revolvers. They are the same shape and appearance as the original "cokes", following the curve of the grip frame and ergonomically perfect. They're made out of walnut and Nills sells them in natural wood and unlacquered. As a result, the grips darken with time and use. They give the round butt revolver the appearance of a square butt gun. I have a set on my 686-6 and they are absolutely fantastic, the prettiest and most comfortable grips that I own. They're more comfortable than rubber grips, at least for me, and I can fire even full house magnums from the gun without experiencing the slightest discomfort.

They're not cheap. Nills is charging about $250 for a set. I think they're worth it, personally, but, still, that's a lot of $$ for grips. Btw, original "coke" grips in good condition now sell for more than that which Nills charges for its reproductions.

Over on the Smith & Wesson forum you'll find a fellow named Kurac who makes his own "coke" reproductions. He charges about $125 or slightly more for a set and they are great. I've put a set of his grips on my N-frame Model 27 and on my K-frame 617 and I love 'em. He makes his grips out of a variety of woods and you may custom order from him.

Melissa5

Congratulations on that sweet looking gun, XD gunner.

I have already started showing her pictures of 642s with Pink Grips.

You wouldn't catch me shooting a pink gun unless someone dropped it during a firefight and I was out of ammo. :barf:

Last edited:

Webleymkv

Has anyone used the Eagle grips? I assume that you have, Webley. On a 1-10, what do you rate them in comfort, aesthetics, and quality?

I've never personally used them (all my S&W's wear Houges) but I've yet to meet anyone who has had anything bad to say about them.

output

XD GUNNER said:
I have already started showing her pictures of 642s with Pink Grips. I think I may buy a set of them this spring.

I can't stop laughing. I did the same thing and it worked!!! I ended up getting her a 642 w/crimson and I got a 442 for myself. The pink grips sold her, but I talked her in the crimson grips it just makes me feel more comfortable.

Great first revolver btw.

XD Gunner

Congratulations on that sweet looking gun, XD gunner.

Thanks!

You wouldn't catch me shooting a pink gun unless someone dropped it during a firefight and I was out of ammo:barf:

Okay? Other than personal preference, I see no reason to not shoot a pink gun, it will hit the target just like any other color.

150469_large.jpg

Come on, you know you like it, just look at it....:D

I can't stop laughing. I did the same thing and it worked!!! I ended up getting her a 642 w/crimson and I got a 442 for myself. The pink grips sold her, but I talked her in the crimson grips it just makes me feel more comfortable.

Great first revolver btw.

Thanks!

I hope it works. We're still shopping for "her" gun, although she tends to think "my" guns are "her" guns. She didn't talk to me for 3 days when I sold my father "her" XD40, the one I paid for, bought all the ammo for, and carried every day :rolleyes: If Springfield Armory sold a Compact XD9 or XD40 with an external safety, she would be sold.

Melissa5

OK, XD Gunner. If pink is for girls, then let's put baby blue grips on your guns since baby blue is for boys. :p Seriously, if it takes a pink gun to get a woman interested in owning a gun, then I'm all for it. :)

roaddog28

Great looking 686. I have a 686-3 4 inch and its one of my favorites. Once you buy your first revolver chances are it will not be your last. My 686 was one of the first Smith revolvers I bought. Now I have five more to go along with my 686 plus two Rugers. Like I said, once you start its hard not to stop.

Good luck with yours,
roaddog28
686-3wood.jpg

XD Gunner

OK, XD Gunner. If pink is for girls, then let's put baby blue grips on your guns since baby blue is for boys.

I actually prefer orange, thank you!

I actually only showed her the pink grips so that she would know that not all gun manufacturers and owners are male supremacist pigs, and that at least a couple of companies actually cater specifically to women.

She loves my XD's, but wants something that she perceives as safer. We started looking at revolvers but she thinks "only old white men own revolvers."

Unfortunately, the few times she has went to look at guns for herself, the salesmen were the "well, this here little missy" type, and thought that she needed a .25Auto so she could handle the recoil.

On a different note, I want a 442 with ivory or mother of pearl grips.

Last edited:

Melissa5

Unfortunately, the few times she has went to look at guns for herself, the salesmen were the "well, this here little missy" type, and thoughT that she needed a .25Auto so she could handle the recoil.

I really hate that mentality. May I suggest going to a range and renting a variety of handguns to find out what she likes and would consider buying. That's what I did before buying my "old, white man" revolvers. :D

XD Gunner

We have done just that, Melissa. She likes a lot of different weapons, but she wants something with either an external safety, or a decocker it seems. She would get an XD9 or XD40 in a heartbeat if they made them with an external safety. We tried the revolver thing and she is really very neutral about them.

One thing you would appreciate, is that she handles and shoots my XD40 MUCH better than I do. Fortunately for me, I'm better with a 1911, and I can pull that card when she starts poking fun at me.

Great looking 686. I have a 686-3 4 inch and its one of my favorites. Once you buy your first revolver chances are it will not be your last. My 686 was one of the first Smith revolvers I bought. Now I have five more to go along with my 686 plus two Rugers. Like I said, once you start its hard not to stop.

Good luck with yours,
roaddog28

You know, I am already looking for a Colt Police Positive in .38 Special, and a Ruger or S&W .327 Magnum. It's addicting.