My Latest Purchase

XD Gunner

I had said in a different thread that I would either have pics, or a sad story. Well, after some financial finagling, I have pics!

686-4 6"

IMG_0064.jpg
IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

This is my first revolver, any comments? Suggestions? Upgrades? I gave $480.00 for her. Sorry about the crappy pics, I'm no photographer.

That'll Do

Nice purchase. I have a 6" 686-6, and I'm jealous of your baby.

Congratulations! I absolutely love shooting mine, and I'm sure you will too. The 6" barrel soaks up recoil.

XD Gunner

Thank you both!

Congratulations! I absolutely love shooting mine, and I'm sure you will too. The 6" barrel soaks up recoil.

I got it to "break myself in" to revolvers. It took a lot of convincing the significant other that this was an "investment" and not just a waste. It has QUICKLY become my favorite handgun in terms of ergonomics. It just fits.

Webleymkv

Be prepared for more convincing of the significant other, once you become a wheelgunner your revolvers tend to multiply.

XD Gunner

Be prepared for more convincing of the significant other, once you become a wheelgunner your revolvers tend to multiply.

I have already started showing her pictures of 642s with Pink Grips. I think I may buy a set of them this spring. One with black grips for myself, and one with pink grips so she doesn't feel neglected. :D

Is there any upgrades that anyone would recommend for this gun? I would like to find a really nice wooden grip for it, traditional cut, or one shaped like the Hogue Monogrip it came with.

Last edited:

Webleymkv

Is there any upgrades that anyone would recommend for this gun? I would like to find a really nice wooden grip for it, traditional cut, or one shaped like the Hogue Monogrip it came with.

Good Speedloaders are a must. I like the Safariland Comp II with HKS being a close second. For holsters, El Paso saddlery is top notch and a real bargain for what you get (suede lined custom holster). As far as grips go, I like either Cocobolo or Rosewood smooth finger groove Houges.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=COMP%20II

http://www.hksspeedloaders.com/SpeedloaderPage.html

http://www.epsaddlery.com/

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22_36_89_90

XD Gunner

Thanks for the links! Glanced at them quickly, going to look into them tomorrow.

Any "single action" style grips available for this gun?

Webleymkv

XD Gunner

I don't specifically mean single action grips, just ones that resemble the style. I guess I meant something like the stock GP100 grips, only solid wood, and not just inserts. I habitually know what I mean, but can't vocalize it. Smooth with no finger grooves, and curved with a flat bottom similar to single action style.

Thanks guys for the compliments and suggestions/help so far, great bunch of people here!

XD Gunner

Webley, that last one is EXACTLY what I had in mind. Thank you! I may pick up that set of Ebony 1911 Grips for my RIA as well.

Webleymkv

Webley, that last one is EXACTLY what I had in mind.

Those are commonly referred to as Target grips. You can get them from S&W as well, but I couldn't find anything but checkered ones on S&W's website.

John Clum

I, too, have a 6" 686 -- mine's a 686-3 -- red ramp, smooth trigger. It's my favorite sidearm. I've had mine since 1990.

You'd be surprised but Hogue of all people offer quite few grips for it. Such as this--
19512L_02.jpg

Here's a link to their fancy hardwood grips page. I have a 10-yr old set--nice fit and finish. Not exactly the SAA style you're looking for, but a nice option.

If you're at all like me, you'll also want a trigger job.

madcratebuilder

Very nice, excellent choice, something you can leave to your grandchildren. I have a -4 6" also, great minds think alike:D
Here she is with her black sheep sister.
sw586686.jpg