My Insensitivity or Their Stupidity?

Eyes,

Dogs certainly were essential to man's cultural evolution given that by protecting flocks, herds, and fields they helped, and probably greatly eased, the shift from a gatherer-hunter society to an agricultural society.

It's no coincidence that the first widespread evidence of canine domestication toes in very nicely with the rise of agriculture.

That also had an effect on the dog, as well. With the need to constantly forage for food cut back considerably, there was more free time, which allowed some breeds of dogs to transition from predominantly working members of the "pack" to, eventually, predominantly non-working pack members, or the first "pets."

With pets came a greater understanding of the functional connections that are inherent between humans and the rest of the natural world.

Now days the toughest work my two dogs do is to hold the bed down when I'm at work and occasionally bark and growl when they hear a noise outside.

Several millenia of selective breeding, though, is tough to get rid of. My Border Collie is an inveterate herder. She herds me, she herds her sister, she herds other dogs at the dog park, she even started herding my mother's Greyhounds last time we were up.

xxena

Mike: Your comments about herding made me laugh - I know lots that have border collies and they all HERD....there are some parts of all our breeds that will never be bred or domesticated OUT....I would not advocate this - but the dippy yuppie down the road used her border collie to babysit her 2 sons when they were little and wanted to be out and play and she could not be bothered to watch them. That poor dog was worn out after chasing and herding a 3 and 4 year old all afternoon long.

Like us, having more than 1 dog in the house - I like to watch their "pack mentality" interaction. I have pitbulls - and they are such a misunderstood breed. They are highly intelligent - sometimes to much for their own good.....they are fiercely loyal and protective of their "people" and their homes...you can break the dog aggressiveness but to me it breaks their spirit - so mine are always leashed or tied out when in the yard. Except when we're at our house in the woods/on lake up north - then they can be dogs and be free and they love it. And they are definitely one of the clowns of the dogworld, they can be quite silly and love the attention they get for it.

Pack Mentality is interesting - I'm former Animal sci major and Daughter #1 is a Vet Tech....so its something we are into. I always amaze at the people that have dogs and allow the dogs to be "alpha" over the humans...I try and explain pack mentality to them and it goes right over the humans heads...dog try it with me and this "alpha bitch" shows her teeth and they back down...their owners are amazed that the dog does not push me off the favorite spot on the couch like it does to them....

The old clicque is so true - its not about the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.....my 46# pitbull mix female beats the living daylights out of the 80# full bred male daily....she is the Queen bee and he knows it and grovels to her every wish and whim....poor guy - he's such a sweetie.

Most breed dogs take their interaction with us humans very seriously - we are part of their Pack....its how we interact back with them that determines who's the alpha dogs - the dogs or the humans....;)

PugetSound5

Definitely insensitive of you!

I can't bare to contemplate how demoralized those dogs must be upon the self-realization of their shortcomings. And where are the tears for all the vermin and insects that must have perished on September 11th? Sorry. I guess I'm just one more insensitive redneck jerk.

They are not "dogs", they are Canine-Americans! :D It's sensitivity training time for you Mister!!