My honest opinion of the new firestorm 45 auto

DDGator

1911ers -- what to look for?

Say you were willing to take the chance on a Firestorm/Llama 1911 style gun for $200... and realize you may be availing yourself of the lifetime warranty, etc.

What would you look for in a particular gun (say, at a gunshow) -- assuming you can't shoot it -- as warning signs and/or good points?

In other words, what aspects of the gun can be easily examined to increase the odds of getting a good gun?

TBAUS

Wox, I subscribe to Gun Test Magazine. They don't have product advertisements so they are not beholding to anyone. What they do is buy a gun and test it. The trouble with this method is it is ONE gun. Most of the time I think this works out. Sometimes IMO it does not. Case in point; They bought an EAA Witness. The gun they bought had a bad magazine. Because of the mag, they did not test the gun and verbally raped it. I believe they should have gotten one more mag and tried one more time. Every manufacturer makes a lemon at one time or another. Things happen. When I read their report, I look for design flaws they call out or unsafe issues with a gun. I also read their opinion about everything else, but remember no matter how unbiased a person tries to be they will still have some bias. Gun Test Magazine is one source among many to take into consideration when making a purchase decision.

Jimmy Mac

If you know and understand the design and can work on it yourself buy one. If not don't.

The $200 pistol is not a good idea if you have to spend a fortune on it to get it to work.

1991gulfwarvet

I love my Llama MAX-I L/F!!!!!

I have heard all the bad news and remarks about the Llama and I just don't see the problems that were talked about.
I just pruchased a NIB Max-I L/F full size pistol on 12/3 and took it to the range to test it out.
I put 200 rounds of ball through it without ANY malfunctions
At 25 ft. all 7 shot groups fit in a 2.5 in circle, and at 50ft. they stay within 3 in.
I even tried a 7 shot group at 75ft. and all rounds stayed in a 6in. circle.
There are some machine marks and sharp edges to it, but for $195.00 nib I don't care.
The only slight complaint is that the trigger feels a bit like gravel but it started to smooth out by the end of the first 100 rounds. and the plunger spring must be made of kryptonite because the thumb safety is hard to engage and the slide release lever is hard to get past the plunger pin at takedown, but again these are very minor issues and are easy and cheap to fix.
You also don't get an unlimited lifetime warrenty with your $700.00+ guns.
I even put a rock island top end on the frame and it worked just fine, so if you want to upgrade, it is no problem.
I feel that this a fantastic bang for the buck if you want a good carry gun.
I am going to get a mini-max top end for my full size frame soon.
I may even try to cut down my frame so I can use an offers colt top end on it.

Derius_T

I own the mini firestorm .45 and have no problems whatsoever with the gun.
I have put over 400 rounds through it now, in just about a weeks time, and nary a problem. (and i used cheap ammo) It has alot of the more expensive 1911 style features for under $300.00. You will always get guys who will rip on a gun that doesn't cost X amount of dollars and have such and such a name. To me, get the gun, handle it, fire it, if you like it and it performs well, buy it. And on a plus side its REALLY, REALLY amusing when you stand at the range next to the guy with his high priced weapon and outshoot him with your $300.00 supposed POS. :D