My flinch is in my head. How do I get rid of it?

MarkCO

In my experience, there are two good ways to get rid of flinch...

1. Dry fire, and a LOT of it.

2. Magazine dumps. The highest capacity pistol (not revolver) you have and load em up and shoot them as fast as you can at a close target.

Pick one or both and dump a LOT of time into it.

However, I also notice in the OP that you say it started some time ago. That might be an age thing. Have you tried plugs, muffs and a hat. We not only hear the BANG, but it rattles the skull if the caliber is enough. Some people develop headaches and fatigue and the physiological response is real. I have even had one shooter wear a full face motorcycle helmet...and that cured his flinch. He actually shot with it for about a year, claimed he was going to be the next Doug Koenig . :eek:

UncleEd

A great gun writer for Guns & Ammo, Bob Miliek, who passed away much too early, wrote a column about he'd never conquered the flinch. He said, if I recall correctly, he might get off the first handgun or rifle shot but after that
the anticipation of the next recoil could overcome him.

I always thought Miliek was one of the unsung stars who never got the credit for his solid articles and viewpoints on rifle hunting and handgunning. He's seldom mentioned as one of the greats but he should be. I believe he was not only a full time gun writer but a guide in Wyoming.

Radny97

Great suggestions here. The ones that have helped me the most (in handguns) are:
1. Shoot LOTS of 22 rounds
2. Work on your grip and make it really tight and hard (makes recoil less intimidating, only do this for 357 mag/10 mm and below. Above that you can hurt yourself.)
3. Dry fire
4. In a revolver, put a few live rounds in (2-4), spin the cylinder, and shoot.

5. The last one that has helped me that I don't think anyone has mentioned is to work on keeping your eyes open through the entire shot. No blinking. Then 'call the shot' meaning predict in your mind where you think it went and then either go check the shot or bring the target back in if you are at an indoor range. The better you can not blink and call your shot, the flinch will go away. With your mind focused on trying to see where the shot goes when it breaks, you will be less focused on anticipating the shot or the recoil; you just really want to see where you are pointed when the shot breaks.

rightside

Uncle Ed,
I have to agree with you about Bob Milek . He was one of my favorite writers back when the gun rags were more about the articles, not just the ads. These days the ads are the story! I never let my G&A subscription run out mainly because of him. His work with long range pistols was really excellent. Since he was also a Wyoming guide, you could tell he knew what he was about. There were so many really good writers then. There are still some good ones , but Bob was one of a kind. Your right about him dying too soon. I still have the extra edition G&A put out with him as the sole author on long range pistols. I can't recall all the calibers he helped create. I remember the 30 Herret and the 6mmx45 .

James K

Member In Memoriam
Oddly enough, one cause can be a trigger pull that is TOO light. If you have a GOOD double action revolver, with a smooth trigger pull, load 'er up and start shooting slow double action, concentrating on the sights as you squeeze the trigger.

No guarantees, but that method has worked for me and others. What you are doing is giving your subconscious something else to concentrate on (the trigger pull) rather than the anticipation of the recoil.

Jim

bamaranger

ball and dummy

The classic drill to detect and overcome a flinch, if possible, is known as ball and dummy. With a revolver, it's a simple matter.

Load two charge holes, skip a hole, and load a third. spin the cylinder randomly and close, or with a SA, close the gate. I recommenc glancing away when locking up. Present the revolver to the target, cock if a SA, and otherwise execute a trigger press. DO NOT peek, looking for cartridge rims! I suppose one could perform the drill with spent cases, to eliminate peeking.

When done correctly, even if the hammer falls on an empty chamber, there will be minimal "flinch". If you have a bad case, you may fall on your nose!.

With a manually repeating rifle, safely have someone single load the rifle aside, and pass it to you. Instruct the assistant to vary between live rounds and empty chambers at their discretion. Safely receive the rifle, then execute a trigger press. Same observations apply.

The drill can be done with autoloaders as well, but it is not as effective.
Insert a loaded mag, chamber a round, remove the mag and execute two trigger pulls. One can also use dummy rounds, loaded randomly in a fully charged magazine, which is more effective ( and allows practicing failure to fire drills), but not every body has those.

DWFan

Combine what bamaranger said with a CD player and ear plugs inside your hearing protection. Crank up the music and shoot away. Concentrate on a smooth and steady pull of the trigger. This is best done with a partner having their hands on your shoulders or back so they can pat you if you need to cease fire without startling you.

Last edited:

amprecon

It really comes down to concentration and trigger control. I concentrate by keeping the sights lined up and controlling my trigger finger intently, forcefully keeping the gun lined up as the trigger is pulled to the rear. It works, after awhile you get used to the process and it becomes quicker to do easier.

jmr40

Dry firing will do more to make a better shot than anything, including correcting a flinch. And it's free.