My flinch is in my head. How do I get rid of it?

AL45

I am obvious of the fact that I have a flinch. I've been shooting all my life, but the flinch started about 6 years ago while shooting my .45 Colt Blackhawk. If I really focus on the front sight and squeezing the trigger I can overcome it, but it pops up randomly during all my shooting sessions due to inconsistent concentration. It's mostly with handguns, but I caught myself doing it with my .308 as well. The interesting thing, is when I shoot my SP101 .357 magnum double action, it isn't a problem. Somehow the long stiff trigger pull eliminates it. I have tried dry firing practice, but since I know the gun isn't going to fire, I don't flinch. I changed to a lighter spring on my Blackhawk and that has helped. My Wife's Sig .45 auto and her S&W .22 have very light triggers and I am fairly accurate with them. I don't know if I am anticipating the shot or rushing the trigger pull. Any ideas how to mentally get rid of it.

hornetguy

I've never had any luck with the "be surprised by the trigger break" technique... I tend to flinch worse that way... anticipation, I suppose.

I have gotten to where I learn what it feels like to pull the trigger through til it stops, while concentrating on keeping the front sight as unwavering as possible. I try to make the trigger pull the same on every shot, all the way back til it stops. If I do that, then the only thing I have to "worry" about is making sure the sight stays dead on the bull. I do this with double action and single action triggers.

I try to ignore the recoil.... I've convinced myself (finally :rolleyes:) that the gun isn't going to hurt me, so I just roll with it. Whatever it does in recoil, it does. I don't try to fight it.

Heavier recoiling guns take longer to get back on target. It's a fact. If I fight it, my groups go to patterns. I let the gun do it's thing, and I just pull the trigger straight through to the "stop".

g.willikers

Try this:
Change your mental focus.
Instead of thinking of you and the gun imagine a visual image of the hole in the target as you shoot that hole.
Another method is just shoot at the backstop.
No target, just watch the dirt flying.
Put each bullet as close as possible to the last one.
There's others, but those work quite well.

BigJimP

If you're not already doing it --- double up on your ear protection.....using a good molded ear plug ...( like the radians brand - that you mold to your ear canals - then they harden to that shape for future use / they fit and work much better than typical foam plugs)....and then a high quality ear muff over that.

In classes that i'm around --- reducing noise can help a lot !
-------------------

Try some different drills....like 3 shots in 4 sec....to force yourself to manipulate the trigger smoothly and accurately thru the cycle of firing, follow thru, reset....etc.....into a 7" circle or something at a reasonable distance.../ get your mind and muscle memory working toward a goal....

Siggy-06

Try shooting rhythmically. Count to 3 and then squeeze and fire, count to 3 again and fire the next round, ect. You'll be mentally telling yourself exactly when exactly each round will be going off, so it'll eliminate that anticipation factor. Extra strong ear protection and shooting gloves might help a bit too.

ms6852

Try having some one load snap caps with out you knowing, just randomly have the individual load between 1 to 4 snap caps without you knowing how many.

MJFlores

Very few people dont have a flinch issue. We all do and it pops up at times. Knowing you have one is one of the keys to controlling it. Personally for me, controlling just requires concentration through the shot. It's not gone mind you, you simply suppress it. It's funny how almost nobody flinches with a .22 long rifle in their hands but a more powerful hand gun or rifle brings it out. You're expecting the recoil because you know it's coming. It'll never go away, you'll have to use concentration to over come it. If you watch some of the popular shooting videos on Youtube, even guys who shoot all the time such as Hickok45 flinch...sometimes badly. He usually makes fun of himself when it happens and points it out...and then concentrates to overcome it.

FrankenMauser

Think through it.
Take the 'pain'.
Think through it.
Take the 'pain'.
Think through it.
Take the 'pain'.
Think through it.
Take the 'pain'.
Think through it.
Take the 'pain'.
Think through it.
Take the 'pain'.
Think through it.
Take the 'pain'.
Think through it.
Take the 'pain'.

After a while, you will train yourself to ignore your reflex/habit to flinch, and be able to just suck up the recoil as you stay on target.

While I pride myself on being able to do so with certain handguns (and rifles), I have not, yet, trained myself to do so with certain other 'punishers'. I have to train myself on every handgun, before I can shoot it well.
Right now, I'm working on handling a Ruger LCP (.380), of all things. The problem isn't a flinch, really, but a tendency to jerk the long trigger. :rolleyes:

Like my problem with the LCP, the problem is in your head. You need to train yourself to believe that the problem doesn't exist.

David R

Sometimes I get out my Ruger super redhawk with a scope on it. It takes a lot of concentration to shoot it accurately. Then the 38 is no big deal.

I noticed this when I was shooting Silly Wets with the ruger as my scope gun and a smith and wesson Model 25 in 45 colt. The 44 makes it like a pea shooter.

pappa

#6. ^^^^^^. Worked for me. Started getting arthritis - hurt hands where never before. Got used to pain, but mental anticipation kept the flinch. Get someone else to load like #6 said. I sent my flinch to the grinch! Now I can putem all inside an inch (I wish I could).

DaleA

If you're flinching because some of your guns are actually painful to shoot then try stuff to fix THAT problem. The solution will depend on the gun and might even be to not shoot it hardly at all or sell it. IMhO our sport shouldn't be a pain marathon.

If it's a mental thing maybe shooting a lot of .22 bullseye targets where you're REALLY concentrating on getting every last point and you 'know' the gun isn't going to recoil enough to hurt will get you to quit flinching. Then without telling your body about it move back to your center fire stuff.

Good question. Not a lot of folk will admit to a flinch. I shot a Ruger Blackhawk for a while that recoiled so it hurt my trigger finger but a different set of grips (bigger grips) solved my problem.

AL45

None of my guns are painful, even with hot loads. And I only flinch every once in a while. I can always tell, because 4 shots will be fairly tight and then 1 will be off by itself. And occasionally I will flinch on an empty chamber. Thanks for your replies. You've given me some ideas to try.

Bongo Boy

Dry fire. Dry fire. Dry fire.

I honestly think every 'shot' I've done dry firing has been worth about 100 live rounds when it comes to learning to shoot.

Yes, you have to transfer what you 'learn' to the live fire situation, and that's not trivial, but dry fire is the fastest way to unlearn bad habits.

I frequently flinch on my first 3 or 4 dry fire shots...still, after 5 years. Flinching has little to do with recoil or 'pain'...your brain anticipates, period. It's doing what it's supposed to do. Watch other shooter's targets at the range when they're shooting .22--should be proof enough that anticipation can come even though all the logic in your brain says there's no problem.

Dry fire. Cheap way to unlearn things.

Pathfinder45

I also shoot a 45 Colt Vaquero, the original that can easily handle the, "Ruger Only", hot handloads. It's my only centerfire handgun and I shoot it a lot. Which leads me to question, what power-level of ammo are you mainly running through your Blackhawk? If and when you are running hot loads through it, how many hot ones are you shooting per session?
Not to disagree with others, but in my experience with the 45 Colt in a single action revolver, the fastest recovery time between between shots is not with the lightest loads, nor with the really hot ones. But rather, there is a sweet-spot where the revolver bucks upward and my grip loosens as I cock the revolver beginning near the high point of recoil using middle of my right thumb, not the pad, and the grip is fully resumed and the gun is ready again as the sights come back to target. The off hand is only used for additional stability and support, not to cock the gun. Too little recoil is as bad as too much. This system works well for me with 250- 255 grain bullets at 840 to about 1,000 fps, right near the original ballistics. Now, I have shot a fair number of smoking-hot loads through it that are in the Magnum performance region. I think I'm done with those: For one thing, the excessive recoil fouls up the ideal rhythm previously mentioned. Secondly, they sting my hands. Thirdly, I have limited tolerance for that. I can shoot a couple of cylinders of it fairly well and then Mr. Flinch pays an unwelcome visit and it takes some effort to get rid of him. You may have techniques that work better for you, but if you limit or eliminate the use of hot loads, I believe you can find a performance level that is pleasant to shoot for extended sessions, and that will cure your flinch, at least until the next time you go lighting off those Magnum-class reloads.

Ocraknife

I understand. I've been there myself.

I don't have any real answers but what helped me in the past was shooting a lot of .22 rounds. I also focused on follow through for an almost embarrassing amount of time after the rounds went off. Try not to get frustrated, you'll get though it and be better for it. :)

Ocraknife

None of my guns are painful, even with hot loads. And I only flinch every once in a while. I can always tell, because 4 shots will be fairly tight and then 1 will be off by itself. And occasionally I will flinch on an empty chamber. Thanks for your replies. You've given me some ideas to try.

In my humble opinion, having a "flyer" wouldn't be my definition of a flinch. If you're reasonably happy with four out of five shots then that's pretty darn good by a lot of standards - including mine.

Again, in my humble, amateur opinion, a flinch typically reveals itself as shots lower than the aim point due to anticipation of recoil and a wider than expected grouping. Taht being said, I'll allow other, more knowledgeable folks to comment.

Chainsaw.

A couple of thoughts. When firing an auto loader I bear down on the pistol, a really grip it and fight the recoil because it works.....in a 9mm or 45acp. Big bores, not so much, with those I just let em go. Rather than trying to bear down on the initial snap of the recoil I just let the recoil come up and then start to catch it, once you get used to that you can start to work against it a little more and a little more ti try to keep it a little more in line with the target.

As mentioned above have someone else load a mix of live ammo and snap caps or empty shells, take your time, squeeze slow, let the recoil happen....or not. I did this witha friend of mine who was flinching bad, it really started to work after several cylinders full.

jetinteriorguy

I know as I've grown older I flinch way more than I did 40 years ago. Yet I can still shoot pretty good, it seems as if I've mentally adjusted to flinching and it's just part of my shooting style. It may be the flinch is coming just far enough into the recoil pulse it doesn't have much if any affect on accuracy. Basically I try not to focus on it and just keep things as consistent as I can from shot to shot.

Mike_Fontenot

ALL of my practicing is with my 686 loaded with 5 dummies and 1 live round, with the cylinder being randomly rotated (with my eyes closed) after EVERY click. I get (on average) 5 clicks for every bang, and I learn FAR MORE from the clicks that from the bangs. I don't think flinches are EVER forever banished ... best you can do is just keep them at bay.

Also, for a short period I was practicing with very mild .38non-plus-P's. That was a bad idea, because when I would occasionally shoot one of my two carry guns with their carry ammo (10mm Kimber Eclipse and .44mag S&W69), those full-spec rounds would seem much harsher than they used to. So since then I shoot all .357 Underwood 158gr JHP's for practice ... they give me a recoil about like my 10mm 1911 does.