My first!

Hawg

I'm not a paper puncher but I can consistently hit a soft ball sized target at 25 yds. using 35 grs. with all of mine. They might do better with lighter charges but I like the buck and roar too much to use wimpy loads.

Smokin_Gun

The Rem loading ram will seat a ball on 20gr of powder. Put 28-30gr on it, hell mine hold 40gr of BP. If take 40gr(BP)-15%=34gr (777ffg) so
30(BP)-15%=25.5(26)(777ffg)... not complicated, see? So last one load
35(BP)-15%=29.75(30)(777ffg)

So you can load from 26gr-34gr of ffg777 safely per Hogdon's instruction.
This would equate to 30gr-40gr of the Holy Black Powder.

Don't sweat it load um up the nail some bean cans, make um fly and hit um in the sky...HeeeHeeeHeee!

Go have fun and make some cans jump in between punchin' paper...It actuall helps you steady yourself on paper by practicing on can and such. I like usin' the larger Carnation Creamer Bottles full a water up to 25yds after that 50-100yds it's 1gal milk juggs full a water. LoL! They are fun....

Let us know how all turns out...Got my .36 Euroarms Hawes L.A. Rem to day, along with a .31 Rem Pocket, and an ASM 1860. Slicked up the .36 Rem works are workin like a Swiss clock:D

See Ya,

SG

robhof

robhof

My brother is a professional photographer and has access to a variety of equopment, including a high speed digital camera. He has shot me shooting my Ruger Old Army at night and it looks like I'm holding a hand full of fire when it goes off. The flame is back past the wrist around the front and back of the cylinder; so any gap, front or back is an open invitation to ignition. I make sure the caps are tight and use lubed wads under the tight fitting ball and so far 12 years no chainfires.

whosyrdaddy

I don't like the CRACK! in makes as well as the BOOM! of bp.

I would venture a guess that the "crack" is the sound of the ball going supersonic. You could back off to a lighter charge and see if it goes away.

Hawg

I've never used triple 7 (costs to much) but since it burns faster I doubt it will sound like bp even with reduced loads which ain't no fun BTW.

Oquirrh

Triple 7 cost.

Because you use less Tripe 7 than pyrodex--the cost difference closes up. $15-$16 for Trip7 compared to $13-$14 for pyrodex. (at prices around here).

Because black powder is such a hassle to get were I live--$16 in gas, not to mention the time--I'm experimenting with the alternatives.

So far pyrodex is economically/performance-wise the best deal--but the smoke makes me cough like I've got black lung.

I know, shoot on windy days.