My first revolver?

Longbowshooter

I love the versitility of the 357 as an all around caliber. Though as has been mentioned if it were mainly for hunting I would go with the 44.

Mastrogiacomo

I've never heard of the Navy Seals or LE using the 686. Since when? They use a snubbie?

BTW, my dealer will sell me a 686 2" Plus for $439. ;)

Dwight55

M88, . . .

I regularly hunt with my Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag, and truly enjoy it.

I have owned several .357 revolvers, but prefer the .44.

I have always thought the .357 had a rather nasty, sharp, abusive recoil; and don't have that problem with the .44.

Just my thoughts.

May God bless,
Dwight

Doug.38PR

When the .357 came out in 1935 it was because of an attempt to give police more penetration power against the dense steel cars backin the 1930s. However, the vast majority of policemen chose to stick with their trusty .38 special revolvers because they were lighter and easier to handle and sufficient for their average needs.

BUT, the dispite it's failure to take in the law enforcement field, Big Game Hunters from the jungles of Africa hunting lions to the Ice of the Arctic circle hunting seals loved the .357 Magnum Smith & Wesson. If it's good enough for them, why shouldn't it be good enough for you.

If you love Dirty Harry movies and would like to hold the gun saying "make my day." Then get a .44 Magnum

You decide. Nobody can really pick your gun for you anymore than they can pick what car you drive, but both of these two calibers will do for hunting.

Doug