My first Flintlock!

noelf2

As long as you have the powder. Subs won't work in them.

Pyrodex works somewhat, but is slow and unreliable. Besides, I make BP myself anyway. Just need access to the components, which are usually all available at Lowe's and such.

stillquietvoice

prime your pyrodex chatge with a 5 grain bp then reduce pyrodex by same amount will fire normally. bp burns hot enough to ignite your pyrodex

stillquietvoice

you can save money too by using glass bowl and pestle to crush ff or fff into fine powder. you wont have to get ffffg flash pan powder and my kentucky flint never failed to fire.

noelf2

3f works fine in the pan. I never had the need for 4f. 3f granule size is pretty much all I use, from .36 cal all the way up to 10 gauge shotgun. I try to keep it simple and effective. Priming and barrel with bp topped with pyro is not in the cards for me.

BlackPowderBen

noelf2

Just need access to the components, which are usually all available at Lowe's and such.

I make bp myself, what does lowes have for black powder components?

noelf2

Spectracide stump remover is pure KNO3 (potassium nitrate). Most carry garden sulfur for plants that like higher acidity/lower ph (like blueberries). I make my own charcoal. I've given up on the sulfur in black powder. As long as I have percussion caps and primers, I don't need it in my powder.

*Sulfur and KNO3 is cheaper to buy on Amazon. The more you buy, the less per pound. I recently looked at sulfer powder and you can get 20 lb for $26 with free shipping. Sulfur is an element, and doesn't go bad AFAIK. I might pick up a 20 lb bag and just stow it away. That's probably enough to last a lifetime.

Last edited:

BlackPowderBen

you can get KNo3 from hobby chemical supply online for $15 for 5 pounds, that seems like it'll be cheaper than lowes, but i could be wrong

Tidewater_Kid

Took the rifle to the range today and it worked great.

I shot it 12 times at fifty yards and had no issues. I used about 60 grains of 2F Goex for the main charge and primed the pan with some 3F Goex.

It shoot about 9 inches high with that load at 50 yards but was very consistent.

TK

noelf2

I haven't shot mine with that light a load. I use 80gr 3fg Goex for my .50 like yours, and my TC Hawken, with patched round ball. You might find that brings your POI down a bit too.

Tidewater_Kid

I wondered if that might be the case. I'll try it with the heavier load next time. This was a smoke and fun test to see how it works. I was very happy with the function and the fact that it fired every time.

TK