My first Flintlock!

Tidewater_Kid

My wife purchased me a CVA .50 Plainsman Flintlock. Made in 1999, it is new in the box. I can't wait to take it out. I already have a percussion version, but always wanted to try a flinter. My basement test say that 3F will work in the pan.

TK

Attachments

• Plainsman-1.jpg
    Plainsman-1.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 84
  • Plainsman-2.jpg
    Plainsman-2.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 62

Model12Win

Awesome! Looks great. I've been wanting to get a flintlock some day, but have a couple more caplocks I "need" to buy first! :D

What is the PA and leaping buck on the stock for?

BTW, if you can pour a pewter nose cap, that gun would look a lot better. ;)

Tidewater_Kid

4V50 Gary,

These were "Limited Edition" Pennsylvania rifles. I guess they didn't sell all that well as Deer Creek Products still has them new in the box.

I'll look at the pewter cap idea, but I have never tried to pour one.

TK

Last edited:

Hawg

I don't see how they call it a Pennsylvania. :confused: Closer to a trade rifle. It would indeed look much better with a nose cap.

noelf2

They were marketed especially for PA. Muzzleloader season there is flintlock only. Today, that rifle is called a Traditions Deerhunter. Looks just like mine except for the bling on the stock.

Tidewater_Kid

Sight unseen, I purchased some 5/8 x 3/4 English flints from Track of the Wolf. They seem to work, but I'll have to try the French amber.

TK

I have wanted a flintlock for a long time. The price that Deer Creek has these for is great. Let us know how it shoots and operates overall. I may have to order one.

Pewter noses are easy to pour.

1) Shape the fore-end to the desired shape and drill some holes for the pewter to flow into (for hold).
2) Coat with graphite
3) plug the ramrod hole with a dowel rod that has been coated with graphite.
4) Build a wood and paper dam around the stock.
5) Heat barrel and pewter and pour pewter
6) Allow to cool.
7) Shape with file.

I poured the first pewter nose that was poured in years at TSJC. I'm glad Hershel House taught me.

Tidewater_Kid

4V50 Gary,

I did some reading after your first post and I think I could do it. Several different ways to accomplish it. Would need to find some pewter.

TK

noelf2

The price that Deer Creek has these for is great.

I only see the percussion one on deer creek website, not the flintlock. I think Cabelas has a flintlock traditions deerhunter though.

I picked mine up at a gun show about 8 years ago for $125. Mine has a black composite stock. Looked like it was never shot. I had some trouble shooting round ball at first. I lapped the bore with flitz polish on patches, about 100 passes, and that did the trick.

Last edited:

Model12Win

I was at the Cabelas yesterday and they had a Pedersoli made Kentucky long rifle in .50 caliber, both flintlock and percussion.

I've never owned or fired a flintlock, but to see I was temped is a HUGE understatement. There are so many black powder rifles I want! I can't decide between something like this and a Hawken rifle!

noelf2

It's a good idea to have a flintlock rifle. Nice to be able to shoot even when percussion caps and primers aren't available.

Hawg

It's a good idea to have a flintlock rifle. Nice to be able to shoot even when percussion caps and primers aren't available.

As long as you have the powder. Subs won't work in them.