My First Electronic Powder Measure

markr6754

I’m glad to do that. I have seen a few reviews that indicated a relatively short life of joy before problems set in. I’ll be sure to keep the thread updated.

I loaded up some .300 Blackout rounds with H-110, probably the finest powder I’ve used. It was perfect. Not a single over or under weight in 50 rounds. I do 300 Blackout on a turret on my 2nd bench, so there wasn’t any interference from any of the functions.

I’ve taken over a kitchen baster, which seems perfect for clearing the hopper. No brush required. I gently blow air down the sides to remove any sticking kernels, and I blow the powder out the discharge chute into the bottle. Where things went wrong is attempting to blow out the trickler tube, which worked well for Universal, but blew H-110 all over. There wasn’t much as I’d already blown the majority back into the hopper from the discharge side...but what was left was enough to make me regret it. Overall the process went smoother than prior dumps.

Next time I’ll follow higgite’s practice and dispense the final bits of powder.

One observation of a feature that I don’t appreciate...the leveling pads move far too freely. It barely takes a breath to spin them, so moving the unit tends to change the level of the device. I’m considering applying a smidge of Blue Locktite and let it dry. In my experience, dry Locktite impedes the threads, but doesn’t lock them down. I haven’t done it yet as I want to be sure that the cure isn’t worse than the disease.

Markr6754,

Assuming the leveling feet can be unscrewed far enough, or completely removed, try some Teflon pipe thread tape. It will increase thread friction but allow for some adjustment and can be removed or replaced as needed.

hounddawg

you can put a dab of nail polish or blue loctite on bare threads then let it dry before screwing it back in and adjusting. Gives screws a nylock effect

markr6754

Marco, I am! I’ve loaded several additional powders, including CFE-Pistol, H-110, IMR 4227, Hi-Skor 700-X, HP-38, VV N320, VV 3N37, VV N330. It never misses a beat. My original purpose, to stop hand dipping Universal continues unchanged. After numerous sessions loading it in various calibers I tried it again in my Hornady dropper. Same total failures that led me to the FA in the first place.
Accuracy levels are more than acceptable. I generally compare against my best digital scale, and whenever there’s a difference, I’ve found that my digital scale is the culprit.

The unit is not perfect. I have an intermittent key right now...the mode key that switches between Manual and Auto mode doesn’t always work. The function works, as I generally control the unit via my iPad app, and I’ve contacted FA via their website, but I plan to call them in a week or so. I’m considering the possibility that a kernel of powder got in between the touch screen.

GeauxTide

I bought a Lyman 1200DPS when they first came out. Just upgraded to an RCBS 1500, but haven't loaded any yet. The 1500 is much more heavy duty. If it's remotely like the Uniflow I used for 40 years, it'll be a DANDY!!!

603Country

Geauxtide, you will like the RCBS unit. My Lyman 1200 always threw a tiny bit high, so I would set it 0.1 gr low. The RCBS usually throws dead on most of the time with ball powders and almost that well with stick powders. Also, the Lyman took 30 minutes to warm up and then calibrate. The RCBS is 29 minutes faster.

markr6754

New Replacement Arrived Today

After my last update I called Frankford Arsenal. They admitted having a large backlog of customer inquiries due to the COVID shutdown, but are catching up. Since I had my case number the rep looked me up, read my comment (I’d been hoping for a factory reset or a firmware update to recover my Mode key functionality).
Alas, the only solution was to send my unit for repair. I was ready to express my concern about losing my unit for an extended period, when the rep told me he’d send a FedEx label out for my return, and to hold onto it until my replacement unit arrived.

New unit arrived today, 2 weeks ahead of expectations....New, not refurbed...tested it for proper function of all the keys, then packed mine up to send back.

Coming to appreciate Frankford Arsenal more and more.

Marco Califo

In comparison, I am wondering if anyone has had to return their Lyman Gen6 Compact? It is in the same price range. I am looking for one I wont need to return.

markr6754

I looked at the Hornady and the Lyman before getting the Intellidropper. Both are several years old, but the main concern about the Lyman is it doesn’t handle fine powders (H110, CFE-Pistol, 2400) for long before the powder flows past the seals jamming up the dispenser. This is hearsay, as I’ve only read the reviews, never before owned an auto-dispenser.
I wasn’t too happy to have to return my Intellidropper, but at least it didn’t affect my loading at all. They sent the new unit ahead of my return.

On a positive note, people absolutely hate the emptying shoot on the Lyman, but I think all of the emptying processes for auto dispensers suck!

hounddawg

If/when my 1500 goes south I will probably go for a autothrow since I already have a A&D but if I did not I think I would probably go with the FA. 1500's are up to $450 now and that new RCBS is stupid expensive @ $900

ed308

The updated V3 Autotrickler/Throw with the new software is worth the extra expense. It will throw and trickler a charge as fast as 10 seconds. My 1500 would drift like most scales I've owned over the years causing me to mistrust it. I've never doubted the throws on my A&D 120. Sold the 1500.