My first DEER! "very long post"

razvy

@hunter33
,,, ***** Congratulation*****
Nice buck
Next time wear hunting close when take a pic , looks nicer , 2 bad ,, first deer - street clothing .

Picher

Well, at least it's digital and he could have the jacket color changed to orange with a picture editor.

Amazing what can be done with digital pictures these days.

Picher

MeekAndMild

Thanks for the pictures, Hunter33. I like img...0140 the best due to its contrast. I would guess the larger fragment is probably the one that took out the deer's heart and the smaller one probably did more collateral damage to the lungs.
I shot right perfectly threw 1 of the ribs
Remington Core Lokt? It looks like it held up well considering the shock of hitting a rib and would probably guess that the bigger piece probably weighs at least 40 grains and expanded to at least 30x50 caliber.

From what I was taught in the military, the shock wave from a supersonic bullet passing through tissue is roughly 30 times the diameter so one would guess that it would have disrupted the deer's lungs up to a 9-12 inch diameter area even if it had missed the heart. You'd know this to be true if there was a big ball of 'goo' when you field dressed the deer.

Picher

I killed several deer with the .22-250, using solid-based bullets. Performance was spectacular and I was careful to place bullets in the rib cage.

However, I eventually lost some deer due what I believe was the minimal brush-bucking ability of the bullet. They were apparently deflected by minimal twigs that probably wouldn't have bothered a heavier bullet as much. It happened when I never touched a huge buck that was almost in the clear and only about 200 yards away. The crosshairs were perfectly placed and I expected the deer to drop, but don't think it was touched.

Maybe a .30-06 would have deflected wide of the deer, but I felt better after switching to the caliber and never had cause to blame a bullet again.

Picher

scaryFORDman

Deer question

I am new to this and trying to learn, but I have a question.
I have heard that deer don't see in color, they see black and white and really only see silohette(spelling?) If this is a fact, why is there a need for camo?

BIGR

Nice job. Sometimes you just have to hang with it and use the gun that you are comfortable with. 22-250 has taken many a deer, but its not one of my favorites for deer hunting. A guy that hunts with us has a son that is 9 years old. That young man took his first deer last year at age 8. This year he took one with a bow and has taken 2 or 3 with a muzzle laoder. When rifle season came around he missed two with the .243. His daddy and I made him shoot the .243 at a target to check the scope and to see if he was flinching. We could tell he was flinching and jerking the trigger. We told him to calm down and take his time. That evening he took a doe with the .243. That little range session built up his confidence.

Buzzcook

Camo breaks up the silhouette so the dear doesn't see a large black or gray object moving about. At least that's the theory.
I just wear solid orange, but then I just sit on my but abd wait for a dear to wander by. If I had to move I'd consider camo.

davlandrum

Camo breaks up the silhouette

Correct, but so does the "old standard" hunter plaid. I hunt in camo becuase I use it for bow hunting, so I already have it. During rifle, I have a blaze orange camo vest and hat. At least the lines in it break up the outline.