My first 45/70

agtman

If your rifle has Ballard rifling (normal rifling) it will handle cast bullets well. If it’s one that has the Micro groove rifling you’ll need to load jacketed bullets. I had one with the Micro groove type and cast bullets both hard to soft wouldn’t shoot very good.

Actually, I had a question about that very issue. I've been looking at the current Marlin SBLs in .45-70.

What rifling do the SBLs use, and will they shoot the hard cast 405gn boolits accurately (specifically the COATED 405gn HCs)? I'll be sticking with that weight of HC slug almost exclusively.

agtman

The 45/70 is a good rifle for deer kills them fast. Good powders for it are
Unique
Imr3031
Varget
Aliant 2400
Reloaded 7

What's the consensus on AA 5744 with HC slugs in 45-70?

LAH

I shoot the NEI clone of the RCBS 45-405-FN which comes in at 420 grains with 25 grains of 5744. It shoots as well as I can hold.

Ben Dover

Load your .45-70 with the older Trapdoor Springfield loading data. Those loads will kill anything you shoot at, without damaging your shoulder..

Your shoulder will thank you.

eastbank

I load to a greater speed not to kill better, but to flatten the bullets arc. those big bullets drop like a rock after 75 yards at 1300-1400 fps.

mehavey

45-70-Point-Blank-sm.jpg

CAUTION: This post includes load data generated by calculation in QuickLOAD software based on a particular powder lot, the assumption the primer is as mild as possible, and assumptions about component, chamber and gun geometry that may not correspond well to what you have. Such data should be approached by working up from published starting loads. USE THIS DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL, nor QuickLOAD's author nor its distributor assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information or information derived from it.

postscript: < punishment > (I really know how to spell it . . . it's Bill Gates' fault)

agtman

Mehavey: thanks for posting that chart. ^^^ Instructive.

Just shot a .45-70 Marlin SBL w/ 18" barrel. Ammo was Remington's 405gn Corelokts @ 1330fps (per the box-flap stat).

Fired one 20-rd box - 5 @ 50yds, the remainder @ 100yds. The rifle really liked this bullet-weight at this velocity, with the final three rounds creating a touching cluster of 1"-1.5". The felt-recoil I found to be easily handled.

I just returned from the range and had some promising results. I did use the trapdoor load data and the best load with H4895 resulted in touching holes on target. I used 40.4 gr with a average of 1,530 fps and recoil was more than manageable. Now I'll make up some more loads in the same neighborhood and I should find the node.

1Blkm32.jpg

160OQ66.jpg

What did you coat the bullets with? That's good shooting.

Powder coat, I used the easy application method instead of powder coat spraying. Just put the lead bullets & powder coat in a vibrating tumbler for 10 minutes and dump them out in a mesh tray. Shake till the powder goes through the tray and put in a convection oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Dump them quickly in to a bucket of cold water. Let cool and seperate. Run them through a sizer and your ready to load em'.

glockman55

I used to have a Marlin 1895 GBL in 45-70..I foolishly traded it off. I finally found a good deal on a Henry AW 45-70..I'll keep this one..Henry 45-70'.jpg

mikejonestkd

I use just about the same load in my two trapdoors- 40 gr of H4985 but I use a cast 350 gr RN. its mild and accurate.

enjoy the 1895, its a dandy of a rifle.

E.J.W.

+1 to Rapidrob

IMR 3031 is the best I've found for my 1895GBL. I was able to tighten the groups a bit by switching to Badman's .459" 405 gr bullets. I was using Acme's .458"s up to that point so don't miss that "little bit" by sticking with one diameter.
Nice lever & have fun!!
E.

I was able to tighten the groups a bit by switching to Badman's .459" 405 gr bullets

I'm casting these at .461 and sizing them down with a custom sizer die at .459 that i ordered from track of the wolf. Results have been fantastic.