My first 1911 - your thoughts please

Bellasogno

As the title suggests, I'm hungry to add a 1911 to my growing collection. The Ruger SR1911 looked very appealing to me, and I'm very happy with my Ruger SR9C, but, they're not available anywhere. Originally, the silver appealed to me more than black, but I've now handled and dry fired several of the Springfields, the Remington R1 and then the Kimber.

I'm real close to buying the Kimber Custom II. My budget is $900 max. I know, I should shoot them before buying, but that's not an option available to me. I am in the learning phase here, and by no means an expert, but to me, the trigger felt the best on the Kimber, as well as the overall feel and balance.

So, what thinkest thou of the Kimber Custom II?

Martowski

I have a Kimber Custom Target from the late 90's; it's a great pistol.

While every brand has its fans, in general most of the major brands are going to perform similarly. Trigger pull is critical; a "decent" pistol with a nice trigger will do wonders for you. If I were you, I'd base it on fit, finish, and trigger as long as you're staying with the Kimber/Springfield/Colt/etc. line-up.

Bellasogno

"If I were you, I'd base it on fit, finish, and trigger as long as you're staying with the Kimber/Springfield/Colt/etc. line-up"

This is what I was doing, and thus the Kimber won hands down. Again, no expert, but the trigger felt like buddah compared to the others. No comparison, even to my relative newbie self.

jglsprings

The trick here is to make sure that the gun you get (springer, kimber, whatever) has the same trigger that you test fired. The difference between guns made by the same manufacturer is amazing. I watch people rent, borrow, examine guns then the gun shop brings out a different gun from the back and they never look at it.

We see stories on the forum about: "I just got my brand new gun home and it doesn't.... ".

Just take your time when you check out the gun you are going to take home. The brands you are looking at are all well made, make sure you don't get a Friday gun.

Sarge

If I've got 900 bucks to spend on a 1911, I'm bringing home something with a pony on the slide.

Bellasogno

I also handled the Colt. Not impressed at all, and ruled it out immediately. I guess I really didn't see what all the hype was about, after handling it.

Hawg

If I've got 900 bucks to spend on a 1911, I'm bringing home something with a pony on the slide.

There's something almost magical about holding a Colt and looking it it. Shooting one isn't that hot.

Sarge

Really... the last 3 1991A1's I've had ahold of were grouping 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 inches for five shots at 50 yards, improvised rest. That's basically their entry-level gun and one was a Commander. I'm not aware of a jam from any of those pistols yet and one is well over 4000 rounds.

Jason_G

I can't stand their big slide serrations and billboard rollmarks, but if I were looking for a 1911 under $900, I'd look seriously at the STI Spartans. You'd have a nice 1911, and money left over for some quality mags, ammo, or a nice holster.

Jason

Dashunde

The Kimber is nice, but I'd save more and wait for a Dan Wesson Valor.
Chances are it will ruin you for wanting another 1911... they are that nice.

Side note:
For years I was on the hunt for the nicest most robustly "perfect" pocket knife I could afford.
I fell in love with the Chris Reeve Sebenza at a knife show 15+ years ago but scoffed at it because of its $400 price and vowed never to buy it.
Well... many years and 30 Benchmades and Spydercos later I have 3 knives left; two Spyderco Dragonfly's and that darn Sebenza.
All the rest are gone and my quest for the "perfect" pocketknife has concluded.

My point?
Be patient, save, and buy what you really want from the start.
You'll save a ton of money in the long run.

KC Rob

I own 2 Kimber Pro Carry II's and you will be happy with the Custom II I believe. Both of my Kimbers are very accurate and well built guns. I also own 2 lower end Springfields (GI and MIL-Spec), so it is not a direct apple to apple comparison, but the fit, finish, trigger, etc are all better in my Kimbers. Colts are nice, I will probably adding one to my 1911 collection next, but just because it has a pony on the side does not automatically make it a better gun.

I also can not argue with the previous posters point about saving for a Dan Wesson. I hear nothing but great reviews about them, and the ones I have handled have been gorgeous guns. If you dont wont to wait to save up the extra $500 - $600 hundred you will need to step up to a DW, you will not be disappointed with the Kimber.

For that money I would suggest you look for a S&W E-series. If you look around you should be able to find one within your price range. Its the only 1911 I know of that is getting the nod from professionals as a duty ready gun.

I have a Kimber Custom II and its been a good gun for me but Kimber has been hit or miss on quality control and has poor customer service. Even though I like Kimbers and they can be "made" to work I would suggest passing on a Kimber.

Springfield makes a decent 1911 and I would suggest their Loaded over the Kimber Custom II. The STI Spartan would be another gun to look into; its affordable and they run very well. I haven't heard too much about the Remington R1 but I've only heard good things so far.

If this is going to be a range only gun I guess I really doesn't matter too much what you pick other than some run better then others, but if this gun will see some home defense or carry duty then I wouldn't look at anything less then the S&W E-series.

overkill0084

I'd recommend a hard look at the Springfield Loaded series guns. A lot to pick from and reasonably priced.
I'd buy a STI Spartan before a Kimber. STI has a solid rep for good customer service and I think the odds of needing it are less.
Simply personal preference, I'd save up an additional $250 and find a Dan Wesson Heritage.
As in all things, YMMV.

dayman

I've been very happy with my Kimber - I got the stainless II, but it's pretty much the same gun. Aside from all the internet angst, I don't know anyone personally who's had a problem with one.
I can't say anything about their customer service because, again, I don't know anyone who's ever needed it.
But, I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the other options either. Buy the gun you like the most.

Bellasogno said:
I also handled the Colt. Not impressed at all, and ruled it out immediately. I guess I really didn't see what all the hype was about, after handling it.
Funny, that's how I feel about Kimber. As someone else posted, they're all looks and no performance.

On the other hand, I own one new Colt (1991 Commander) and I've been able to shoot several more, and IMHO if you want a 1911 for $900 ... Colt is the only game in town.

Hunter Customs

For $900.00 you can get in to one of higher end Springfields, that or Colt is where I would spend my money.
In believe Springfield has the best warranty/ customer service in the business.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter

varoadking

Kimber has hype...Colt is all substance. You will come to know this with time...enjoy the journey.

varoadking

I can't stand their big slide serrations and billboard rollmarks, but if I were looking for a 1911 under $900, I'd look seriously at the STI Spartans.

:confused: STI has some of the largest sldie serrations and rollmarks in the industry... :confused:

Coltman 77

Quote:
I can't stand their big slide serrations and billboard rollmarks, but if I were looking for a 1911 under $900, I'd look seriously at the STI Spartans.
STI has some of the largest sldie serrations and rollmarks in the industry...
varoadking is offline Report Post

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read this. ;)