My false home alarm and what it taught me.

ZCORR Jay

I'm glad I came across this as I'm starting the process of shopping for my first home. We're in a fairly rural location but that doesn't mean bad things can't happen so I will be weighing the cost of a home security system. There will be the firearms and dogs but a system and especially one with zones seems helpful.

Davey

Jay,
I've learned quite a bit about installing a home alarm system on one's own. I use a Honeywell Ademco Vista 20-P. It's pretty much the standard when it comes to home alarm systems it seems.

If you got any questions feel free to send me a private message. I visit these forums daily.

bikerbill

I have yet to investigate a home alarm system. It's just my wife and I and a noisy beagle, who alerts all the time when animals wander by the house (often in our rural area) or even if people walk by on the street or the golf course behind our house ... Unless the dog drops dead at a badly timed moment, I can't imagine not knowing something is wrong thanks to him ... I would not try clearing my house (no need, since we have a 1911, pepper spray, a cell fone, flashlights and a large combat knife available in our locked bedroom ...

saands

(1) If I am ever able to build my own house, I will do the wiring so all the lights can be remotely controlled. Until then, it's not very feasible to re-do the wiring in the house to allow me to turn on all the lights at once. My feeling is that with time and increasing computerization of houses, this'll become more ubiquitous.

X-10 systems have been around for ~20 years that allow you to do this without any wiring changes at all ... they are not hacker-proof, but they would add this layer to your plan without spending a fortune or requiring an inordinate amount of work. They also have a car alarm style pendant that lets you turn on a couple of strategic lights wirelessly ... as in while approaching your front door from the outside.

Saands