My CCW must be revolver!

Cowart

Since i would prefer to shoot my first shot in SA mode I am not real found of the "hidden hammer"

The model 649 that was mentioned earlier has a shrouded hammer, not a hidden hammer. It can indeed be manually cocked to shoot in SA mode.

Another possibility is a model 625 in 45acp. It would allow reloading with full moon clips, without the expense of having a .357 model gunsmithed for clips. It is, however, an "N" frame, so it is not small. It is available with a 3" barrel from http://www.lewhorton.com/m242529.html

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
On that 649, is the "shrouded" hammer easy to cock? As in a SD situation would it be an easy one handed draw, cock and fire single fluid motion?
is taurus considered a real good firearm? When i bought my Ruger P-85 the taurus was trying to become a widely accepted handgun. This was shortly after the demise of the "satuday night special" stigma so many imports were wearing. I understand they have a lifetime warranty but hate to think I needed that warranty due to a failure in a SD situation. S&W lists these revolvers at 600-700+ bucks and the Taurus .41 in a silver finish was around 450-500 bucks. I don't have an unlimited bank roll to work with.
Brent

ATW525

On that 649, is the "shrouded" hammer easy to cock? As in a SD situation would it be an easy one handed draw, cock and fire single fluid motion?

First off, what you're asking about is extremely NOT recommended. Learning the double action pull is the best option if you're serious about carrying a revolver.

That being said, the answer to your question is yes. With some informal testing using my 638 I have no trouble cocking the hammer on the draw.

jetman

A couple of my favorite carry revolvers are both six-shooters. They aren't as easy to find but there are still nice examples to be had. One is the Colt Detective Special/Cobra .38 special revolvers. I personally prefer the alloy frame of the Cobra. Another of my favorite wheel guns is the Colt Magnum Carry stainless version in .357 magnum. It has enough weight to not be punishing to shoot the full power magnum loads and still the same external dimensions and similar weight to the Detective Special. I recently found a deal on a 2-1/2" Python, and it is a SWEET ..357 shooter. Not quite as easy to conceal with the full size frame but handles the magnum round very well, and nothing beats the smooth action of a Python. Here are a couple pics of mine. I haven't gotten pics of the Python just yet.

Jkwas

Seeing as how you're not afraid of Taurus.....

31382.jpg

Taurus 817 7 shot 38+p ultral light

31516.jpg

Taurus 85 ultra light 5 shot 38+p

Carrying a boat anchor around all day can get old. Start with an ultra light in 38 for CCW, then get a 38 or 357 for home defense and practice.

Sgt127

Theres been a pretty good supply of S&W K frame stainless model 64's and 65's, both three inch and 4 inch to hit the market lately. For under $400 you will have, what many consider to be, the definitive gunfighters gun. And, if you get tired of it, or get full use of the other hand, you will no have no problem selling it.

http://www.robertsontradingpost.com/
He has a bunch with great pictures so you can see what you are buying.

I like the .41, but, out of anything other than a full size N frame, I fnd the recoil miserable. A 3" K frame .357 is tolerable. And, honestly, you are certainly not unarmed with a full house .357 magnum if your most likely threat is two legged.

BillCA

Short answer is that no, it's not "easy" to cock in the manner you describe. It takes deliberate effort to do it smoothly.

But as previously mentioned, your first shot should be DA for speed. Cocking the hammer manually will only slow down your time from draw to first shot.

One way to shroud the hammer and still have it fairly easy to cock is to buy a 6-shot K-Frame (as mentioned above) and add a set of the old Bianchi Lightning grips (as pictured below). These seem to fit the older pre-lock K-frames better than the new ones. And they're actually comfortable.

M19LSNBL_1002M.jpg

S&W Model 19, .357 Magnum, 2.5" Barrel with Bianchi Lightning grips

If you can't find these and want a pair, I have a couple spare sets I can sell reasonably priced. :)

I'll second Sgt127's suggestion of a 3" Model 65. Medium K-frame, round butt for concealability, .357 Magnum, fixed sights, heavy bull barrel for balance. Everything you need with no frills. The Model 64 is similar, just in .38 Special.

Re: Calibers - if you polled people, I'd say that most who carry a 5-shot J-Frame .357 probably carry it loaded with a quality .38 Special +P load. Several reasons for this - less recoil than the magnum means faster follow-up shots; in urban areas, the .357 may be more of a liability if you miss; less noise which can be disorienting; less muzzle flash, especially from a snubby.