• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 66

RRR

More pix

Prototype Naval carriage made of pine 2X12. Ita a little to tall(2in.) and a little to long (6-8ins).You wheels are hard to cut by hand(by mine anyway ) My first so you know. The real carriage will be made of white oak or wallnut maybe mahogany with brass trim and wood or cast iron wheels.

Attachments

• Picture 126.jpg
    Picture 126.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 524
  • Picture 127.jpg
    Picture 127.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 56

Hawg

I know you said it's 2 inches too tall and 6-8 inches too long but the carriage looks really big for the tube. Can't quite put my finger on exactly where tho.

phantom_890

Redleg.

As a modern day Field Artilleryman it's amazing to see how far artillery has come. Cool post. King of battle, HOOAH!.

arcticap

That's a pretty good prototype. :)
Here's some navel cannon pictures from some Deep River, CT Ancient Musters which serve as examples:

mariners%203.JPG

attachment.php

DSC_0013.JPG

mariners%202.JPG

mariners%20with%20guns.JPG

Hawg

Here's a pretty decent pic that gives a lil more detail.

Cannon_HalfScale31.jpg

Naval carriages are designed and constructed according to a forumla set forth by the diameter of the bore of the cannon. 2" bore is 2" cheeks. 8" bore should have 8" cheeks. Wheels should be 4 times the bore for the front wheels and 3-1/2 times the bore for the rear wheels.

RRR

Hawg

The tube is to far back bout 2 inchs also. So move the tube up(did allready) cut it off about 8 inchs shorting it about 3 it will look bout right(I hope so anyway).

Hawg

The tube is to far back bout 2 inchs also. So move the tube up(did allready) cut it off about 8 inchs shorting it about 3 it will look bout right(I hope so anyway).

It's all in how pc you want it to be. You're the only one it has to please. I'm planning a mountain howitzer myself but it won't be pc. It should look pretty close for the uninitiated tho. :D

RRR

More pix

First of all. Hardwoods(White oak) is really really hard to work with!!!!!! So I figger I did ok with just hand tools. After all its is only my thrid go at a cannon carriage. Now all I need is a old transmission jack with good wheels I will be good to go! This will be my "shooter" carriage. The next one will be made from Walnut it will be the show carriage.

Attachments

• Picture 127.jpg
    Picture 127.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Picture 126.jpg
    Picture 126.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Picture 125.jpg
    Picture 125.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 48

Hawg

Looks good. Might could find some old steel hand truck wheels. I've got a pair but you can't hav'em.:D

RRR

Wheels!!!My cuz made for me.

New wheels!!

Attachments

• Picture 135.jpg
    Picture 135.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture 137.jpg
    Picture 137.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 40

arcticap

That's a mighty fine looking carriage, and your cuz made some great looking wheels. It's all nicely painted and stained too. Very well done! :)

RRR

Thanks to all.(well most anyway :p) The cannon is a blast!! Sorry for the cheap pun:eek: Found a nice load 300grains of RS and 3-6 ozs of projectile good sound and fair range with BB's just need me a cannonball sinker mold "Do it 4,5 and 6 oz" @ 1.05,1.14 and 1.20 my bore in 100ths is 1.19. So its going to be thick patch,thin patch and Hmmm I will figger that out at a later date.:)

RRR

Ammo with scale

Ammo pix from left to right golf ball,cannon ball,50 cal.ball,36cal.ball and 44 mag bullet(.429)

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 21