My buddy wants to buy a gun back ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwc

With your clarification, all that has been said before is nothing. If you don't offer no harm. No foul. You said he had guns you would like but only if he offers to sell. He has the same agreement. You did say he was going to buy another even if you didn't sell.....so, what's on TV?

Sevens

All this deep discussion, theory and philosophy...

Have we heard WHAT the gun is? If we are discussing polymer/tupperware dreck, hand it back with a smile. :D

Seriously though, I think it's squirrely of him to ask for it back but if you don't work with him, you may not have access to his future sales.

joed

I put a high price on friends, as you get older you find yourself with a lot less of them. If he is a good friend and you value his friendship sell it back to him and buy a newer one.

RC20

If he were a real friend, he wouldn't be putting you in this situation.

Were you interested in selling it before he asked? No? Then it's not for sale.

I could not say it better. You can figure out what you want to do.

I have an aquantance that I would like to buy a gun from. I have made that clear.

He wants some lessons in the breakdown of the bolt.

As soon as we can get together he will get that instruction, and it has nothing to do with if he sells me the gun.

I made my desire clear, he knows it, we leave it at that.

Sometimes friend do things that put us in a bind.

I had a forum friend in Australia that wanted me to send him some software. I hated to do it, but I told him it was on the proscribed list, I was not going to break the law doing it.

So, the first thing you tell your friend is, I don't want to sell it.

If he persists, then its, ok, I will sell it to you (put conditions on it if you want) - it has gone up in value, this is what I will sell it for.

I have brought some guns from my brother, he gets to set the value, not what he paid for them, but what he thinks they are worth. I either buy or do not. And while he has totally opposite political views, he is a good brother, a good citizen and a fine person. He has offered at one price and then raised it. I am ok with that, I can reject or accept.

You can sell it back, buy another one and move on. It sounds like that is where you are leaning.

We can give you ideas, but its your decisions.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I've bought and sold among a few friends. We have an unwritten "code".

If you buy it,its yours. Free and clear. You can do as you please....unless there is a clear pre sale agreement .Then you keep your word.

The initial owner,who sold it to you,certainly can say "I'd sure like to get that one back if you ever want to sell it"

Then you consider it. But its uncool to put you under pressure.The price,as a courtesy,is often the same price,but that's up to who owns the gun.If I sold you an M-1 carbine in 1972 for $75,I would not expect a $75 buy back today.

That said,we generally hold to the COURTESY to give the original owner first chance.

You can make the free choice,...but then give it up with clear guts and no regrets. If you truly want to keep it,that friendship thing works both ways.

He ought not push it. Apparently new ones are available? If he is attached to THAT one,tell him you'll trade for a new one.
This is pretty much how I handle things.
  • If I sold it to you, you own it.
  • If I bought it, it's mine, free and clear.
  • The buyer is always free to inquire about buying back.
  • The buyer is also free to inquire about buying any of my other guns.
  • The owner of a gun is free to decline to sell.

Would I appreciate a Right of First Refusal if you decide to sell? Sure, but unless we discussed that prior to sale, it wasn't part of the deal. If I bought it from you, I'll typically offer you first refusal as a courtesy before I sell, whether we discussed it or not. If you decline, or can't come up with cash or trade bait fast enough, I'm free to sell.

Pahoo, you said in your OP that you really don't want to sell. In your shoes, I'd just tell the buddy that I wasn't quite ready to let go of that gun, but that I'd let him know first if I ever got ready.

buck460XVR

Coupla things here.

First off, it sounds as if the gun is still in production and available. So either the OP or the previous owner can get another.

Secondly, this is an issue between friends, not just random strangers making a FTF gun sale. What's determines a legal sale is not what the question is. The question asked of us is a ethical one. Hard to give an answer with the little info given. The Op says he feels obligated to sell it back for what he paid for it, but also sounds a tad reluctant to do so. Was it because his friend gave him a heck of a deal far below what a new or similar firearm could be obtained for? Iffin it was fair market price, would the OP be as reluctant? I dunno. Does the previous owner want the gun back because he is having second thoughts about the selling price, or because he has decided he shouldn't have sold it and wants the gun back for less than what he can get another one? Is there more to it than price, such as sentimental value or some sort of customization?

To me it comes down to how much of a friend this is, and how much I value the friendship and any significant circumstances. The OP states that this is not a one time transaction, but one of many. History of selling prices and opportunity to have first dibbs, could mean more to me, than just one firearm. I have helped friends out during hard times and happily sold their guns back to them for what I paid. If a friend sells me a gun and it appreciates significantly since I bought it, I would certainly expect that friend to expect to pay more for it than what he sold it for. Friendship goes both ways. Iffin the friend gave me a hell of a deal outta friendship, that too goes both ways. Good friends are hard to come by. Over the years I have seen deals like this diminish too many. Have seen how a deer or a hunting place has turned best friends into enemies, because of greed or mis-understanding. Sometimes the drifting is subtle, and not immediately noticeable. But in the end, the cause is generally understood by all.

Just sayin'......

1stmar

Good friends are harder to come by than most guns. What is so unique about this firearm that it cant be replaced?

buck460XVR

Not one single thing, other than the cost difference between used vs new. ….. :confused:

....and is that difference as much or more than the value you put on the friendship?

Again, we're seeing very little of the big picture. How good a friend this guy is, whether or not you think think your decision one way or the other will affect the friendship and what the difference between what you paid (what he probably expects you to sell it back to him for) and the cost of a new gun is. Are you looking for advice or direction, or have you have already decided what to do and just want us to confirm your choice?

Again, good friend who is having second thoughts, I wouldn't have to think twice........I sell it back for what he sold it to me for.

Random acquaintance that wants the gun back for what he sold it to me for because he wants to make more on it from someone else, I'll just keep it.

2wheelwander

I'll add a bit more. 20 years ago I sold a '67 Camaro convertible (strong #3 car) to a long time friend. It was his first car, sold it to his BIL, I bought it from the BIL. Gorgeous car.

Sold with the caveat I had first right of refusal. He put some work into it and sold it for 3 times what I sold it to him for on eBay without so much as a call to me. FWIW, I sold it to him for exactly what I paid for it after he and his wife tried to haggle me down for a month.

We're still friendly, but fool me once. . . . .

Spats McGee

Administrator
Not one single thing, other than the cost difference between used vs new. ….. :confused:

Be Safe !!!
In that case, I think part of buck460XVR's post bears repeating:
buck460XVR said:
. . . . How good a friend this guy is, whether or not you think think your decision one way or the other will affect the friendship and what the difference between what you paid (what he probably expects you to sell it back to him for) and the cost of a new gun is.
In any event, good luck with the decision.

Dano4734

My brother in law sold me his model 29 44 mag back in the 80’s five years later asked to buy it back and I politely said it’s my best deer hunting gun. He said I understand and then bought himself a ruger

Pahoo

Whatever, I decide, will not effect our friendship

Again, we're seeing very little of the big picture. How good a friend this guy is, whether or not you think think your decision one way or the other will affect the friendship and what the difference between what you paid (what he probably expects you to sell it back to him for) and the cost of a new gun is. Are you looking for advice or direction, or have you have already decided what to do and just want us to confirm your choice?

He is a valued friend and that is why making this decision, is not easy. A couple of important points some of you might have missed; one is that he has not asked if I want to sell it and I really don't want to at this point. If he ever asks and offers twice what I paid and I decided to sell it, it would be for what I paid him for it. Whatever, I decide, will not effect our friendship, I will make sure of that. …… ;)

Be Safe !!!

Pahoo said:
A couple of important points some of you might have missed; one is that he has not asked if I want to sell it ...
That's not the impression you conveyed in the opening post.

If he has not asked, I fail to see the problem. Continue to enjoy your firearm.

buck460XVR

That's not the impression you conveyed in the opening post.

^^^I agree.

This statement in the OP kinda told me the friend has asked to buy it back. It also showed us your initial reluctance to. It has seemed to me from the first post your mind was already made up. Still, this is a question of your ethics, not ours. What is right in your mind is not gonna be right in every one else's mind.

He wants to buy back, one of them and he has never made a request like this before. I really don't want to sell it and if I do, I feel somewhat obliged to sell it for what I paid him.

Mal H

Staff
Pahoo - you've gotten enough input on what is a personal matter, and not really a firearm issue even though one is involved. The decision is solely yours, so there is no need for additional discussion on the matter.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.