My buddy wants to buy a gun back ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pahoo

I have traded and sold a number of firearms with a shooting buddy of mine. He most always initiates the request. I have told him to give me first choice on anything he wants to sell. So far there has never been a problem. That is not until now. He wants to buy back, one of them and he has never made a request like this before. I really don't want to sell it and if I do, I feel somewhat obliged to sell it for what I paid him. Whether I sell it or not, he is going to buy a new one, just like it. …….. :confused:

Okay, you might ask why he ever sold the one I have, in the first place. Well, we all know a number of shooters that go through guns like I go through socks. They don't want a collection and mostly buys what looks good at the time. Hard to let a buddy down and wondering how Y'all handle situations like this. and all input is always appreciated. … .:)

Be Safe !!!

DaleA

An A#1 dilemma in my book. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes. It really depends on how good a friend he is, what his attitude will be like (either way) and if you care.

If you do decide to sell it back to him at the same price play a mind game with yourself and convince yourself that, of course, it was the right thing to do and don't look back.

Pahoo

Very good friends !!!

It really depends on how good a friend he is, what his attitude will be like (either way) and if you care.

He is closer to me than my brother but that's not saying much. Let's just say that we have each other's back. ….. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Sharkbite

I once sold my best friend a 2 3/4” Smith model 66. Best darn shooting snubby ive ever seen.

I asked him a cpl years later if he wanted to sell it back to me. His response, a polite “no frickin way”. I just laughed and went out and got a new one.

2wheelwander

I bought a very nice handgun from an uncle. Mint/fair rice. He asked for years to buy it back. He politely asked, I politely declined to sell it back. It became an uncomfortable joke after a while.

However, he had a reputation for reselling things like this at a profit a month later. Still have it, never selling it.

HiBC

I've bought and sold among a few friends. We have an unwritten "code".

If you buy it,its yours. Free and clear. You can do as you please....unless there is a clear pre sale agreement .Then you keep your word.

The initial owner,who sold it to you,certainly can say "I'd sure like to get that one back if you ever want to sell it"

Then you consider it. But its uncool to put you under pressure.The price,as a courtesy,is often the same price,but that's up to who owns the gun.If I sold you an M-1 carbine in 1972 for $75,I would not expect a $75 buy back today.

That said,we generally hold to the COURTESY to give the original owner first chance.

You can make the free choice,...but then give it up with clear guts and no regrets. If you truly want to keep it,that friendship thing works both ways.

He ought not push it. Apparently new ones are available? If he is attached to THAT one,tell him you'll trade for a new one.

Last edited:
If he were a real friend, he wouldn't be putting you in this situation.

Were you interested in selling it before he asked? No? Then it's not for sale.

Nathan

This is definitely confusing to me, but I don’t know the gun or the friend. To me, if a friend wanted a replaceable gun in my collection, I would sell to to them for a fair price....basically street value minus 5-10%.

The challenge becomes, did he sell you a Glock for $300 or something ridiculous like that? That becomes tough because all you have in it is $300, but it is in no way replaceable for $300. I would tell him you like the gun and need to replace it. If the replacement is $550, I would sell him his gun back for $500 or help him get the replacement for $550 or cave in and split the difference.

No matter how it went, I wouldn’t ruin the friendship from my side, but them not owning up to having sold it would put a damper on my respect for that person. You really need to be looking at the actions of the friend. The money doesn’t matter, but a friend trying to cheat me out of money because they have an angle to does matter.

littlebikerider

I think HiBC had the most reasonable and balanced decision. Just let him know you aren't ready to let it go right now, but if/when you are he would certainly get first shot. And if you give him that shot, it would be nice of you to offer it for what you paid, unless you have put in $$ for more improvements.

jonnyc

I think it all comes down to:
"Whether I sell it or not, he is going to buy a new one, just like it".
Let him get a new one and then you two can flip to see who gets which.

USNRet93

How about this? I agreed to sell my LCP to a friend of my son's(I don't know her)..but while she was deciding, I got a new guide rod and springs for it..I'm gonna shoot it this Sunday..If I now like it, recoil wise..She has said she wants to buy it..BUT I may want to keep it..:confused:

USNRet93 said:
How about this? I agreed to sell my LCP to a friend of my son's(I don't know her)..but while she was deciding, I got a new guide rod and springs for it..I'm gonna shoot it this Sunday..If I now like it, recoil wise..She has said she wants to buy it..BUT I may want to keep it..
This is an entirely different situation. You have already agreed to sell.

rock185

Pahoo, I might tell such a "friend" that if I ever decide to sell it, I'll give you a call. Otherwise, are you in essence just renting guns to each other?

pwc said:
What is the price you put on his friendship?
A related question is what price the [alleged] friend puts on the friendship. From the opening post:

Pahoo said:
I really don't want to sell it ...
When the "friend" was selling, I assume Pahoo paid the asking price without any haggling. Pahoo doesn't want to sell. Essentially, the so-called "friend" now wants to back out of a deal that he initiated. The so-called "friend" is now abusing the friendship by trying to lay a guilt trip on Pahoo and coerce him into selling something he doesn't want to sell.

Comes to mind the saying, "With friends like that, who needs enemies?" A true friend would never do that.

Pahoo

Feeling obligated

I feel I need to clarify my previous post. My buddy and I have made an informal agreement that if there is a firearm that we intend to sell, we will give each other the first "offer". He has a couple of firearms that I would like to buy but only if he initiate the offer. I do not press him on anything he does not offer, to sell. In this case, he has not asked but has indicated that he wishes he had not sold it and will be looking for one at our next Gun-Show. The firearm in question, is still current …… :rolleyes:

At this time, I have no interest in selling it but feel somewhat obligated to do so. He is an Old-Salt and we are always doing favors for each other. The ball is in my court and regardless of what I decide to do, I don't feel it would jeopardies our friendship. Wish he had never offered it, in the first place. ….. :rolleyes:

When the "friend" was selling, I assume Pahoo paid the asking price
You are correct and even though I know how to negotiate. We never haggle in either direction. CORRECTION; He is a good friend and well respected... :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.