My Brand New Colt M1911-A1

Jonpod

I looked at this Pistol about 1 month ago at a local gun shop. I was really impressed with the tightness of the slide to frame fit, barrel lock up and barrel to bushing fit. The pistol grip is nice and smoothly rounded unlike the SA Milspec( which I find uncomfortable and awkward kooking). It appears to be quite true to the original including the patent info on the slide. Well, I couldn't exactly afford a $998.00 retail(especially since I have a Rock River Arms 1911 on order) so I traded a Ruger Red Label Sporting Clays O/U Shotgun for it on tuesday. So far I am extremely happy with my newest pistol. The only complaint I have is that some of the edges are quite sharp and dehorning would be nice but I'm not going to carry it so it is not really an issue. I am going to the range today so I'll be able to post performance later tonight.

Jonpod

I just noticed that the only sharp edges are on the slide. All of the edges on the frame are perfectly smooth.

stans

I think only Colt 1911's have such a nicely rounded front strap. All the other 1911's I have seen have a somewhat square-ish front stap. I once went to the trouble of modifying an Auto-Ordinance frame to duplicate the lines of the Colt. It made all the difference in the way the gun felt to my hand.

Jonpod

I went to the range last night. The first thing I have to say about the colt is; ouch! Got myself a nice little piece of skin missing on on my hand from hammer bite. Other than that the pistol performed flawlessly. 100 rounds fired and 100 empty casings. Not a single FTF or FTE. I used one box of S&B and one box of PMP; both hard ball. Accuracy was very good also. At 20 yards a 2.5" group was no problem. One thing was unusual though. The brass ejected more up and over my head than to the side. When I examined the spent brass I noticed that the mouth(where the bullet is seated) was shaped like a D. This is probably a sign of something that needs minor adjustment. I aslo think the gun might need a stiffer spring. I say this because my hand was numb from shock trauma this morning when I woke up. I will post pictures later because my wife left the digital camera at work.

IanS

Congratulations, you've got the REAL DEAL and Man! what a great family heirloom. Your kids should start being nice to you now.

As for hammer bite I guess its the "charm" of a classic Colt 1911.

To make shooting more pleasant a better grip safety is called for but a drop in part that would require NO MODIFICATION to the frame (and of course save the old one.) Or shoot it stock and get a 1991A1 model you can customize to your hearts content and take out the 1911A1 for special occasions. Anywho, I'm glad its a pistol that is being shot by an enthusiast and not packed away in grease as an "investment".

I can't wait to see those pictures! If you can, a close up of the classic rollmark and a shot from every angle? :D

Gravity

Ouch on those case mouths Jon.
Nice pics though.
Thank you for taking the time to put those up. Good coverage!

dsk

If the hammer bite bothers you, get a King's wide-spur and trim the edge down a little. You could also get an Auto-Ordnance hammer which better replicates the TRUE WW2 wide-spur Colt hammer. The long wide-spur was changed to the shorter one in 1939.

BTW, is yours a WKO or WK serial prefix? I am surprised to see the UNITED STATES PROPERTY stamp. All the ones I've seen up until now simply had Colt's recent address stamp in that location.

Last edited:

Borf

Are these things accurate reproductions (or re-releases? I guess) of the originals with respect to trigger stuff? Is the disconnect/transfer silliness in these puppies or are they "as originals"?

IanS

Wow! Thanks for going out of your way with those pics!

I'll take back what I said about the "charm" of hammer biting 1911's. OW!

But I'll have to disagree with our 1911 expert, dsk. I hope you don't do any permanent modifications to the gun. Whats the point of getting a retro model if you're going to update and modernize? You'll lose the investment aspect, its unique appeal, and I'll simply have to find someone else to envy. :p

cmomm

fantastic pics--you can really see the different parts well--what makes those cases do that and is it normal??---i have a daly 45 and a few of mine come out that way as well--thanks:D :D :D

dsk

The whole reason why I said go buy a King's hammer is so that you can leave the factory one intact for preservation's sake.

As for the case mouth dings, it happens when the case doesn't eject at the right angle and smacks into the lip of the ejection port on the way out. If the extractor hook isn't angled right or is allowed to twist this can happen. The whole reason why folks have been lowering and flaring the ejection port on custom 1911s is so this doesn't happen. Personally, I feel that getting bitten by the hammer spur and getting beamed by ejecting brass is half the fun of shooting an old .45! ;)

Elvis

Hi Jonpod,

Yeah, I did check out your post...after I submitted mine. Your post is most impressive. It appears you're quite satisfied with your new weapon. Would you recommend my purchasing one? What flaws, if any, have you noticed on/with your new gun besides it giving you a sore hand? Also, how does this weapon function with Plus P ammo?

I think I'm going out today to look for one.

Take care,
E

Jonpod

Yes Elvis I am very satisfied with my new Colt. As for flaws there are not any major flaws that I can find. There is one imperfection though on the underside of the barrel. The barrel has a black coating on it and there is a flake missing near the muzzle. I will try to get a photo here soon.
As for the plastic grips, as posted in the other thread by another member. I once had a 1943 issue 100% original colt that had the exact same plastic grips only nicely aged.

Elvis

Jonpod,

It is nearly impossible to buy ANY production gun w/o some type of imperfection. That which is depicted on you barrel is nothing of concern, at least to me. A few days in a holster and that small imperfection will be miniscule!

The beauty of a 1911 is plus p rounds are not necessary for defense work; however, I do live in bear area and when I hike I prefer to carry a handgun with dual utility: two and four legged critters!

I am very encouraged by your posts. I am going to look at one of these guns in the greater Los Angeles area.

A 1911 with 230 grain ball is arguably the best self defense battery one could hope for. I used to carry a 15 round 9MM with 147 grain W-W law enforcement ammo. This is a pretty damn formidable combo. I could have carried this off-duty as well, but I opted for an Officer's Model with 230 grain ball ammo. Say what they will about ball ammo, and it smaller calibers I would prefer less sure feeding hollow points, but in .45 caliber, I feel perfectly safe with ball ammo. I have worked with many cops who feel the same way. It is damn hard to argue with success.

Adios,
E

Elvis

By the way, don't let my moniker fool you. I did it in honor of the King. I registered just a couple days shy of what would have been is 66th birthday. The King of rock 'n' roll and the king of battle handguns...was an exquisite combination!

Adios,
E

Okay, now I'm pissed!!!

Arrrrgh!! Yours is marked "US Property". Mine says "Model 1911-A1 US Army". I didn't know they'd be doing this, or I'd have waited!!

On to the cosmetic imperfection you mentioned. I have one too. On the underside of the spring tunnel on the slide very near the muzzle end. I guess there was a little smear of oil there and the finish didn't adhere to it in that spot. Don't worry though, I've torture-tested mine and have had ZERO rust issues. Mine also has a 100% reliability record. Very satisfied overall, I know you will be too.

Shoot the daylights out of it. It was made to take it.

Regards,
Callahan

dsk

The Colt WW2 repro will work with +P and hollow point ammo just fine. Internally it is the same as any current Colt "O" frame pistol, minus the FP safety of course. The new barrel feed ramp profile is a surprise to many at first glance, but it works very well. It looks like a very shallow throat job but with a narrow divot at the 6 O'Clock position.