My boy's first time at the range!

12GaugeShuggoth

Sounds like a good time for you and yours, congrats. I had the chance to take a young cousin of mine shooting this summer and we had a great time. Kind of a troubled kid, I think he smiled and laughed more during that hour and a half than I had seen him do in a couple years.

Nathan

We have a Savage Cub with a 4x rimfire scope on it which works well. My girls are 10 and 13 now and it still is a good fit. We have had it since the 13 year old was 6 or 7. They shoot it near rapid fire now with me holding a box of bullets off to the side.

The Savage Cub is a pretty good gun. It's trigger is a bit heavy and rough, but they can learn it well enough.

A red dot or low power scope is key to fun. Also, shooting at 5 - 15 yards is a good place to start. Aluminum cans are a fun first target after you sight it in.

welshgal2001

love your artical

Personal note I loved your article bravo, I want to see more like this, I have a daughter 11 and a son 8

My son loves my browning 12 ga, and wants to go hunting with me, But I don't think he's quite there yet, but does go clay shooting with me

My daughter loves pistol shooting and on the range is very good, more to the point loves taking my pistol apart n cleaning it,

have to ask, what size cal do you let your children shoot at the range?
what do you recommend ?

jimmythegeek

Calibers for Kids

Based on my experience with my kids, I'd start with a .22LR rifle, preferably single-shot or bolt action. Then they can move on to a .22lr semi-auto. When they get to the point where they won't just be missing more expensively, a mild centerfire will definitely be of interest. I made mine show they could put 10/10 in an 8" target at 25 yards before they got the expensive ammo. Not a real hard test, but it focused them a little. Good next steps would be M1 Carbine or AR in 5.56/.223. I think they have about the same recoil. I have a video clip of my boy shooting an m1 carbine for the first time... "Woah!" He dug it so much.

At any jump in caliber I start them with a single round for a couple of reps, especially in a semi-auto.

Pistols are fascinating to most kids, but few can hit anything with them. A narrow grip will fit their smaller hands. I found my CZ-Kadet, which is a full sized pistol with a grip large enough for a double stack mag, was too big for my 10 year old. A 1911 fits better. I think bringing the target *way* in, to 10-15 feet, is probably right for pistols. If you aren't on paper, you probably won't learn much from your target.

Since you were asking about calibers and not what I've been talking about, back to the boy: He shot and loved a Ruger GP100 with .357 ammo. I'm not sure what the specs on that ammo were. He did not love the 1911 with 230 grain bullets. Pretty sure the GP100 is a lot heavier and soaks up recoil better.

My 16 year old daughter likes .45acp. .30-06 intimidates her, just not her favorite. I've seen a clip of a 10-11 year old girl at Appleseed hitting a gong at 200 yards with a Garand, and liking it. Her form was great, though. I only saw two shots, so she might have developed a flinch later. I'd probably keep it to a couple of rounds per outing from a big boomer. Maybe the last two in the clip so she gets the "ping!" of the clip ejecting. My daughter also shoots her boyfriend's Mosin once in a while, a couple of shots every few outings. She'll shoot an AR all day.

I'm sure there are kids out there shooting 12 gauge slugs all day, too. I think introducing a heavier caliber a step at a time will let them find the right level of challenge where the recoil is interesting but not overwhelming. This means you have to have a good selection of guns! :D

It's a lot more fun with kids. Sometimes a bit stressful, I know I don't get to shoot much with all the supervision and support. The malfunction drill is "lay it on the table and get Daddy" at this point. We talk squibs and hang fire vs misfire, but I'm not sure they really *get* it yet. So I handle things while talking them through my process. "You had a 'click', but no 'boom'. Ok, it's been about 15 seconds, so let's eject the round carefully - watch my muzzle discipline and how I keep my face away from the chamber - and see if the bullet is still seated in the case. It is? Good, no squib. Did we get a light strike or did the firing pin leave a deep impression...."

Just my rambling thoughts when I'm supposed to be working. Take care! Safe and happy shooting, all.

smee78

Its silly how someones good time gets turned into someones gripe fest about safety "Dude! Where the hell is the eye protection for the kids?" I'm sure everyone is aware that good safety measures need to be in place but I would not canx a shooting trip if the eye protection was left at home. The safety police need to give it a rest.:rolleyes:

I'm glad the OP got to get in some quality time at the range, some of the best times I ever had was with the family at a friends out door range plinking.

That is really a special time with the family. I had the pleasure to take my 3 grandsons to the range to shoot pistols for the 1st time. It really does make you proud!

Mikef262

I only use eye protection when I am required to at a range, or somebody's property rule. I've never seen any use for them. I think people should practice maybe 3 shots at the end of each session, range allowing of course, without ear or eye protection with the gun they plan to use to defend themselves. Think about it, in a real self defense shooting you're not going to be putting on ear and eye protection. Ease up on the guy about eye protection!

Gbnk82

Congrats on your boys first trip to the range.i cant wait intil the day my daughter is old enough to take out shooting.i currently have a remington 597 .22lr that will be passed down as her first gun when she is old enough and mature enough to handle it..i think 9 is a very good age to learn i plan on teaching my daugheter at about 8 i learned when i was about 6 or 7 but iti all depends on maturity level..it has to be a proud day for a father and im excited for it to come im sure you where in your glory that day and you and your son will always cherish it..

trkkshotbry

That's awesome man. My 3 kids all started young (around 5) with my 22 rifle handed down through 4 generations now. Its a 1936 Savage 87A that starts off locked in single shot mode. My oldest daughter (11) can shoot very well and the youngest (5) can hit a half inch bullseye 7 out of 10 at 10yds. Thats great for a 5 yr old in my opinion. Theyve started watching each other for safety violations and its great to hear one of them remind the other to keep it pointed downrange.
Burning ammo and making memories is my favorite part of summer break with them.
It was awesome to watch my 11 yr old girl outshoot her older male cousin (13) in an impromptu shooting match last month. He started off talking smack but by the 3rd shot he had shut up and was eager for some coaching from Uncle Bryan.

Torch

Great pics and video. Looks like fun was had by all.

Anytime one of my kids has a gun in hand I break out the safety gear. One can never be too safe! :rolleyes:

attachment.php