My 43rd year is giving me a dose of reality

deerslayer303

I used to read your guys posts about your aging eyes and iron sights and as most young bucks do, I thought MEH not me :rolleyes:. Well out of NOWHERE I can't see the sights on my Kentucky rifle quite as good as even LAST season. :eek: I've tried different colored paint and well that doesn't help. I put on my drug store READERS :rolleyes::( and I can see the sights, but my Far sight is toast with those on. SO does anyone know the size of the dove tails in a Traditions Kentucky rifle? And do you guys recommend any old man sights that are easier to see? I REFUSE to give up carrying that thing in the deer woods. A modern fang dangle rifle doesnt blow my skirt up to take deer with. I Love Anse and he has served me well.

:eek::eek::confused:CRAP I DONE GOT OLD QUICK!!! :D:D

gwpercle

Don't do as I have done .
Schedule an appointment with an eye doctor and get your eyes checked and if needed some prescription glasses .
I knew I needed glasses but put it off , drug store cheaters , painted sights , Hi-Viz sights red dot sights ...doing everything to avoid the dreaded eye doctor .
But my problem was Glaucoma ... high pressure damages the vision ... and once lost the vision doesn't come back . Eye Drops and a little laser treatment has finally stopped the vision loss ... but Oh Dear Lord I wish I had gone earlier and saved more of my sight ....
Please go get checked and make sure all you need is glasses .
Glaucoma doesn't hurt and you don't see it happening ... it sneaks up and steals your sight and it's gone forever .
And for vision problems ... prescription glasses are the best thing to fix them !
Gary

deerslayer303

gwpercle,
Thank you for the reply. I already wear contacts and have had to wear glasses since I was 5. I'm far sighted and it seems at the drop of a hat I can't see anything up close. So the sights on my boom stick are very hard to see. I do have an appt coming up. I don't know what they will do but hopefully some a new prescription will help. Not sure if they make Bi focal contact lenses :D. I think if I can get a better rear sight, It will help. The factory sights on a Traditions Kentucky although they work are not the greatest.

ocharry

Put some kind of peep on it...maybe a tang peep would work for you?? Short marbles??

Just a thought, but with a peep you dont really see the rear sight, only the front and the target...uh that ud be the deer..lol

Ocharry

Bob Willman

For those who already wear external glasses, stick-on bifocals work fine. They are flexible and can be cut to the required size. I place one in the upper left corner of the right lens so that it is in the line of sight when the rifle is shouldered. Select a diopter rating that makes the front sight sharp.

Bob
WB8NQW

bedbugbilly

As a "ancient old guy" - the only thing I can say to a young buck of 43 is that by now, you ought to be able to point that long rifle and hit what you're pointing by instinct! LOL

All kidding aside - it happens to everybody. I know our ancestors had the same issues based on original rifles I did work on years ago as well as original barrels I have owned. When a shooter's eyes began to give them issues, it was a common practice to move the rear sight further towards the muzzle. Might sound strange, but it was done. I built a flint Virginia style long rifle about 40 years ago and shortly after I finished the rifle, I noticed I was having eye/sight issues. I was down at Friendship talking with a friend who used to have a booth there - he had made the hand forget furniture for the Virginia style rifle I had made. He showed me an original Bean rifle that had had the war sight moved forward four times. A new dovetail had been hand cut each time and the old dovetail filled.

Long story short, we removed the rear sight from my rifle and he helped me try different positions bt taping the rear sight to the barrel with some tape he had until we found the position that allowed me to get the clearest sight picture. Once we found it, we marked it and he and I cut a new dovetail with tools he had. Once we got the rear sight installed in the new position, I went over to the line and bought a practice target and was amazed at the improvement. I filled the old dovetail once I got back home in Michigan - I ended up moving the rear sight two more times over a period of time.

As silly as it sounds, you might remove your rear sight and with some tape - reposition it and see if it gives any improvement in clearing up your sight picture. If not, easy enough to put the sight back where it is now and all you are out is a little time. Then you can go to a good eye doctor, get a good thorough exam - explain the issues you are having and see what they suggest.

Good luck - and you're not getting old - it's like good cheese and wine - you improve with age!

horseman308

I'm also 43 and have terrible eyesight. Been wearing glasses since 9 y.o. and contacts since 13. This year I got progressive contact lenses, with my right/dominant eye set for distance and my left for reading up close. It took about 4 pair of trial lenses to get right but they're fantastic. With my bad eyes, I can't see more than 5 inches in front of my face without glasses or contacts, but with good lenses I shoot well enough to place or win many of my local BP matches.

My favorite rifles have rear tang-mounted peep sights, and my flintlock deer rifle had the rear sight moved forward. Both approaches work really well.

deerslayer303

BBB,
I got a good laugh at that first line. :) I will try what you suggest. Knocking that rear sight out is not big deal. I never really thought of moving it forward. You guys on this forum really impress me with the knowledge ya'll have. Heck about a year or so ago I thought my eyes sucked or the rear sight on this thing sucked, but as it turns out the dang rear sight was on backwards from the factory. SMH I flipped that sucker around and it was like a had a brand new rifle hehe.
Horseman,
I'll talk further with my eye doctor when I go back. And see if I can get some better lenses. Right now I have the same in both eyes. Thank you for the tip on the progressive lenses.

Jim Watson

John "Pondoro" Taylor discussed open sight placement on safari rifles.
He said the gunmakers were prone to set the sight too far back for the advertising value of a long sight radius. One of his last bespoke rifles had the sight special ordered well forward to accommodate his vision and anticipated changes.

5whiskey

I too have noticed that my eyes aren't quite what they once were, and I'm only 41 myself. I can still shoot irons pretty good, but I have mild astigmatism and the front sight post gets harder and harder to focus on. I have glasses. They help a bit. I can still shoot well but I kinda dread going in the deer woods during low light.

horseman308

Horseman,
I'll talk further with my eye doctor when I go back. And see if I can get some better lenses. Right now I have the same in both eyes. Thank you for the tip on the progressive lenses.

No problem. Beware that it's a bit of a weird feeling at first and took a few trial pairs. Of course, I've needed multiple trial pairs for my last several prescriptions, so that part might just be me.

My first flintlock had the rear sight moved forward by a previous owner. Turns out to be one of the better shooting rifles for me than many others I've used. Might be the forward position of that sight. Might not. But I'm not gonna argue with what works.

THEWELSHM

I had LASIK 11 years ago with a lifetime touch up warranty. The only issue I had was I have “mono” vision. Which reversed everything for me, so being right handed and left eye dominant I learned to shoot left handed with my wheel guns. Had a touch up on reading eye 2 years ago... what a blessing never looked back..I see like a Beagle..

Thewelshm

Pahoo

Keep on hunting

Slayer!!
It's a scientific fact that the leading cause of declining eyesight is "Too many Birthdays. I once took silent pride in shooting a Squirrel with my .36 Seneca at 60yds. Then I had to start wearing glasses and now have slight double-vision. I recall a scene from a Rocky movie where Rocky, started seeing double-vision, during fight. He asked Mitch, which one to punch. Mitch stated; The middle one. Well I now take shorter neck shots. ..... ;)

On SideLocks, I allow myself to go to Peeps and leave optics, to MML's.....:)

Be Safe !!!

deerslayer303

Pahoo,
Shoot the one on the middle, GOT IT! :) I'm gonna play with this moving the rear sight forward on Anse. I may look into some peep sights. I had an internal battle about whether or not I wanted to really sink time and money into this thing. I mean it is a bottom of the barrel Sidelock. But I guess it sure has put a many a country fried steak and sawmill gravy on the table so its a proven meat gitter LOL. Ole Anse and I are headed to the deer woods in the morning as a matter of fact. Thank you all for the help and advice.

BillM

Since you already wear contacts, try this. Sight distance vision in
your aiming eye, distance vision in your other eye and shoot with both
eyes open. Mono-vision. Talk to your eyeball doc and tell him what
you want to try, he will probably give you some trial packs of contacts to
play with.

Pahoo

Optometrists can do wonders

Traditions Kentucky rifle?
Personally, on this M/L, a peep sight is as far as I would go. You will probably have to drill and tap. As you have stated, this M/L has served you well and an Italian import. The only M/L. I have drilled and tapped, is a TC-Hawken model.

God luck and;
Be Safe !!!