Muzzle sweep at CCW course today

dawg23

And whenever I hear the instructors from Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, etc on Tom Gresham's show, they all indicate they are much happier teaching people who have no experience because they don't have to unlearn bad habits.

You are mixing apples and onions here. When you go to Thunder Ranch, or Gunsite, or Tactical Response, or Rangemaster, et al you will spend anywhere from two to five days learning how to shoot.

They have time to teach you "by the numbers." A CCW class will rarely, if ever, have enough time to take you from "zero to 60."

airdog

learning something here

I'm pretty much a newb to shooting. admittedly. been to the range once since purchasing my pistol and am planning to return next week. shot 100 rounds without shooting myself or other range attendees, so I felt pretty good about that. I kept muzzle awareness, and pointed down range, even when loading my magazines to continue. Don't own a holster yet.

I plan to sign up for the ccw course soon, after some more range time and confidence with my pistol. I haven't heard of any familiarization courses for beginners other than the CCW course. I have read the NC DoJ regs regarding permits, transportation, etc and spoken to a couple deputies regarding what I should do if I have my weapon, after passing a ccw course. For now it will sit in the back seat locked and in plain sight, same for my ammo/supply bag.

Only 1 range near me so I might be one of those I read about earlier with limited experience.

Is there anything yall might recommend to prepare myself, that I can do "self training?"

thanks in advance,
Les Owens
Bath, NC

OnTheFly

airdog said:
shot 100 rounds without shooting myself or other range attendees, so I felt pretty good about that.

I like that. A very straight forward and simple goal. :D

airdog said:
Is there anything yall might recommend to prepare myself, that I can do "self training?"

With what you have done, you are already light years ahead of the gentleman I was speaking of. Post #60 above lists what I would suggest you do to be ready for the course.

Fly

Deaf Smith

I teach CHL classes and I've twice had students sweep me with a gun. Both thankfully were unloaded.

How? One woman who did not have any experience (yet she was quaifying with her son's 1911 .45) had the weapon in her hand and no holster (and one of my favorite sayings of Jeff Cooper is, "a holstered gun is a safe gun".) Well she waved it!

The second incident was a security guard who, when asked were one of the students extra ammo was, he pointed were it was with his pistol!

So I wear a bullet proof vest while teaching. And now you know why.

Many many of the students I teach have very little skill with handguns. I do what I can with the time I have to get them up to speed. Never heard of any of them having a AD or injuring someone (and I hope I never hear it!)

Glenn E. Meyer

I once took a course from a very, very, well-known instructor. A student asked a question about draw stroke and the instructor then said: It goes like this - and then drew on the group. A look of ultimate horror went over his face.

Mental lapses happen among all. I also know a very well known instructor who shot his dashboard. One of the top instructors of all times, left a gun loaded which led to an ND.

Let he or she who is with sin, fire the first shot.

workinwifdakids

I remember that class I took in college, where a world-famous math professor stood on stage in front of 300 people writing small numbers in chalk (which he stood in front of), while muttering and whispering in some Asian language. Then he'd stand to the side and say, in broken English, "Well, you know." And then he'd erase it all.

This topic is much the same, I think: People assume that the person with the most knowledge ought to be teaching it to others. One person has perfect knowledge but can only effectively transmit 10% of it; the other only knows 80% of the material, but can really teach 100% of what he knows. Which is the better teacher?

Here's an interesting question: erase everything you know about firearms, and pretend you were starting from scratch. Furthermore, pretend you'd grown up to be fearful of - and intimidated by - firearms. Where would you start? Whom would you ask?

With firearms, as with everything, we see everything so clearly from our perspective. Active recruitment to pass on a lifetime of safe firearms enthusiasm means that we look at it from the other man's perspective, and ask if we can make things more available, and less intimidating, without sacrificing safety.