Must have revolver..........

22-rimfire

Yeah, the original post DID say CENTERFIRE. I still think 22's are No. 1 must haves. I like Pythons, but they are so pricey that I hesitate to consider one a must have. Years ago, the Python would be on top of the list. Now I have to say, my Colt Trooper Mark III in 357 is a must have. if you want Colt quality and accuracy in a more affordable package. The Smith Model's 19 and 27 are right up there too.

gak

Colt Single Action Army (SAA) - either "4th Generation" (late 3rd) - post S3439xA or so (after March 2003), or 2nd Generation (1956-1976 or so). The above approximate serial number signified the return of the removeable cylinder bushing--otherwise gone since the 2nd Gen. Everyone should have at least one Colt SAA in their collection - any caliber, but the bigger bores are especially fine feeling/handling. The recent SAAs are again about as nice as they've ever made, and while far from cheap, did finally come down a bit - maybe with the popularity of cowboy action shooting (though many use cheaper Rugers, Italian clones and USFA Rodeos) and the premium US Firearms (USFA) knocking on their door - quality wise. With judicious internet searching one should be able to find one in the $1,150-1,300 range. You'll see new and even used (earlier) 3rds selling for that or more; with the "4ths" available there's no reason IMO for going for the earlier 3rds, with sellers of those hoping folks aren't noticing the newer batch.

I'm also with TWB on the S&W 65, esp with underlug/ejector rod shroud (believe it or not Lady Smith variant pre-lock to me is the way to go; best of the bunch--and they are rarer yet than "regular" no lug 65s), Hammer It on the .32 Mag Smith and Bill CA generally on the S&Ws.

wnycollector

As close as I can narrow it down is a .357 S&W N frame. I think it really depends upon your budget. You can find really nice 6" model 28's out there that wond break the bank. Or you can find a 3.5" model 27...that might set you back a few more dollars;)

savit260

Center fire must haves?

A Smith Model 19

and

A Single Action Colt.

Everthing else is just icing on the cake after those two.

Crosshair

RevolverLover

A 22 Long Rifle revolver. The Taurus 94 is about all that is available today new.

Don't forget S&W.
OK, I see they make the 317, but that is an aluminum framed Snubbie. Most people want something with a longer barrel and adjustable sights. They have made fine 22LR revolvers in the past.

CarbineCaleb

I did own a model 629-3 and it shot Loose within a Year and less than 500 Magnum Loads through it. I have a friend who had the same experience with his which is a Dash-4 series. I Prefer older Vintage guns in Carbon steel form as they seem to Handle long term durability better than my stainless one did. After this series I have heard S&W came out with an Endurance Package for the 629's.
Yes, but it's not the stainless steel that was at fault with your gun, and getting an earlier one wouldn't have helped either. The early design 29/629s simply didn't have enough holding them together. You want a later one, not an earlier one.

From John Taffin's Article:
Finally with a change of management, Smith & Wesson began to address some of the problems associated with the .44 Magnum Model 29. By now, both Ruger and Dan Wesson had heavy duty .44 Magnum sixguns on the market that were designed around heavy usage. The Smith & Wesson had a distinct disadvantage as it was built on a platform going back to 1908. Should they scrap it and start over? Or should they try to fix what they had? They opted for the latter and I am certainly pleased that they did. In 1988, the 29-4 was ushered in with two changes. The retention system on the yoke or cylinder crane was strengthened and studs within the frame were radiused to help remove metal stress. It was not enough. At the same time eight and three eighth's inch models were made available with integral scope mounts on the barrel rib.

The 29-4 lasted only two years to be replaced by the 29-5 in 1990. Now we began to see obvious outer changes in the Model 29 as the cylinder notches were made longer to prevent the bolt from jumping out of the notch upon recoil. At the same time the bolt was changed and the innards of the Model 29-5 were changed to provide a method of holding everything tightly together when the .44 was fired to prevent battering under recoil.

Sgt.Fathead

Easy List to Compile

Me, I actually don't want a Python. Yes, I've handled one, yes, I've fired one. No, still don't want one. I would like:

Ruger New Model Blackhawk blued .357 Magnum 4 5/8"
Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk blued .44 Magnum 4 5/8"
Freedom Arms Field Grade Model 83 .44 Magnum 7 1/2"
Ruger Security Six blued .357 2"
Colt Diamondback blued .22 6"
Colt Detective Special blued .38 3"

There's so many more but that's just off the top of my head and in no particular order. I'd also like another Ruger GP100 4" .357 Magnum, maybe GunKote or the like in Flat Dark Earth with the Hogue overmolded grips and a Trijicon front sight.

RevolverLover

OK, I see they make the 317, but that is an aluminum framed Snubbie. Most people want something with a longer barrel and adjustable sights. They have made fine 22LR revolvers in the past.

Oh you mean like the S&W 617 that comes with adj sights with either a 4" or 6" barrel. ;)

HammerBite

• Colt SAA second generation, 7 1/2" .45 Colt: An American icon, in and out of production for over 130 years, the SAA could be called the "1911 of revolvers."
  • Ruger New Vaquero, 7 1/2" .45 Colt: A reasonably close replica of the above Colt, updated with safety features; can be carried "six up" and you never need to touch the hammer until you are ready to shoot.
  • Ruger New Model Blackhawk, any bbl., any chambering: A big, bad tough guy of single-action revolvers. Get two, and have Linebaugh do a conversion on one of them.
  • Smith & Wesson Model 27, 8 3/8" .357 Mag.: S&W created its own American icon with the .357 and the long Model 27 is an awesome example of the genre. The .357 Mag. is a very versatile chambering.
  • Colt Python, 4" .357 Mag: Colt wasn't any slouch in the .357 arena and the Python has acheived near legendary status. A 4" bbl. is a nice practical length.
  • Ruger GP100, 4" .357 Mag.: Ruger's greatly simplified double-action lockwork and ease of disassembly is worthy of representation in a revolver collection. Get a stainless one for greater practicality.
  • Smith & Wesson Model 60, 1 7/8" .38 Spl.: An archetypical snubbie and the first stainless gun.
  • Smith & Wesson Model 40 or successor, .38 Spl.: A snag-proof snubbie. Nice enough that S&W is bringing it back.
  • Smith & Wesson Model 10, 6" .38 Spl.: S&W's classic cop gun has been in production for over 100 years. Get an older one like the police carried in the '50s and '60s. Get a black tooled gunbelt and swivel holster to go with it.
I don't know enough about Colt revolvers to suggest Colt counterparts to the S&W Model 10 and the S&W snubbies, but there should be a couple more Colts in the list. My apologies to Colt aficionados.

clayking

I've got my homework to do.

For those .22 guys, I do own a S&W 617, Ruger Mark 111, S&W 41, although auto's and several riflles. Honestly, I don't really get a buzz shooting them, in fact the 41 is likely sold to a friend. I also have a Blackhawk, it's ok, but doubt I want another "cowboy" gun. Also one Taurus revolver in .45 ACP. I also have 4 Colt revolvers, Trooper V's & Pythons. A centerfire Smith is missing for sure. I'm to the point that I would rather one one really good gun than 3 so-so guns, quality, not quanity.

Believe me, the Colt Anaconda and Diamondback are both high on my list, despite the fact I wanted something other than another Colt DA. I figured lots of votes would be cast for Smith's, makes sense. Hammer it, true to form, you posted a couple that I liked, wax job and all.......... I only live about 25 miles from the renaissance guy.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Dan Wesson or Korth.

Keep 'em coming......................ck

wdelack

How about one of the Ruger Speed/Security/Service "Sixes"? The prices of these already appear to be on the rise.

And, dare I be different, a Dan Wesson revolver :D (there I mentioned it..,but I have 4 of them).

Not sure about Korth or Manurhin.

bds32

The model 627PC is sweet shooter

DSC02456.jpg

no revolver collection is complete without the following...

at least one Snubbie... 38 special is the standard...I like 32 H&R Magnum...

a 4" - 357 Magnum double action... a 6" is also nice but, IMO the 4" is the ultimate in versatility... the classics are a plus, but I'm very happy with my stainless GP-100 as a shooter...

a 4-6" - 44 Magnum double action... gotta have a "dirty Harry" gun... mines been shortened as an "Alaska" gun, & is a full sized Dan Wesson ( now ) snubbie with a compensator

a single action revolver... I love my Blackhawks mine are in 30 Carbine, & 50 special

a big bore revolver ( yes I know the 44 mag "used to be considered" big bore ) I have a custom 50 Special Blackhawk, but a BFR in 45-70 is in my near future

A Black Powder revolver... I have a nice 1858 replica, & an old brass framed replica, & wish I could afford one of the stainless Rugers

& sorry... a 22 Revolver... wish I had an old Ruger with the 22 Mag Cylinder as well, but mines an old black German 9 shot in LR, & a stainless Taurus 8 shot 22 mag

& sorry again... a NAA Mini revolver... you choose "short", LR, or Magnum... Mines a "Snake Eyes Edition" in LR

lots of brands & models listed already, so I just listed the platforms, & what mine are...

Shakey357

Well, I have a Python so that's one off the list. And, I'm buying a 2 1/2 model 19 from my brother-in-law; so there's my "snubbie". I had a model 19 4 inch stolen years ago; replaced by a GP-100 4 inch SS.

So, what else is left...

A good 6 inch .357. maybe another GP-100 or a nice 7-shot 686.

A Smith 625 Jerry Miculek model (full lug with wood grips).

A nice .22 LR, maybe 6 or 8 inch. However, I have a .17HMR Marlin bolt action (accurate as heck). Maybe a Ruger .17HMR "companion" revolver.

From the used market: A S&W 686 CS-1 w/3 inch barrel. And, after seeing the picture; that Smith 627PC. Nice!!!

I skipped anything bigger than .357. I used to want a 44 mag (Redhawk); but I have so many .357's; why change?!?!

Ranger325

I think just about everything I would suggest has been covered, but may I add a flat-top Ruger Blackhawk in .357 and without a doubt the S&W M25-2 in 6.5" (.45ACP). Good Shooting -- :D

Regards,

357 Python

This is just my opinion but, I would say no collection would be complete without one of these. It has been used to protect and defend millions of people since it first came about. Many professionals carried it for their entire careers. To many folks, the sight of it means safety and security. There has been many upgrades of this one basic revolver. That revolver is the S&W Model 10. In all it years thousands of professional police officers, deputy sheriffs, marshals and other law men have carried and used this revolver to protect hundreds of thousands of people. When seen most folks consider it a "cop gun", a gun for good guys. It is a simple no thrills type but it is a hard worker when needed most.

Hawg

Other than the sought after Colt Python, what is another must have revolver to own -- to shoot -- not just to admire, although there's nothing wrong with beauty. Centerfire only, DA or SA, smooth action, accurate, 4-8" barrel, a pleasure to shoot, well, like the Colt Python. And to top it off, something that might even appreciate in value.............................ck

I think this fits all the criteria. Centerfire(.44spcl), DA, smooth(very smooth), accurate, 5 inch barrel and really fun to shoot, definitely appreciating in value. Everybody ought to have one but they're getting hard to find. 1926 S&W 3rd model .44spcl.

SW.jpg

hhb

Must have revolver

S&W Model 10 M&P 4". The workhorse! Doesn't have a rear sight to break off if you drop it. I did the revolver portion of the HR 218 quals today with mine, and it chewed a hole about the size of the mouth of a Starbucks coffee cup out of the X-ring.