Must have revolver..........

clayking

Other than the sought after Colt Python, what is another must have revolver to own -- to shoot -- not just to admire, although there's nothing wrong with beauty. Centerfire only, DA or SA, smooth action, accurate, 4-8" barrel, a pleasure to shoot, well, like the Colt Python. And to top it off, something that might even appreciate in value.............................ck

capnrik

You will get a lot of different answers.....but I would hate to know I had to go through life without a Smith and Wesson K-22 or a Model 29. Both are wonderfully crafted weapons.

Crosshair

A 22 Long Rifle revolver. The Taurus 94 is about all that is available today new, but there are other used rimfire DA/SA revolvers and plenty of new rimfire SA revolvers.

Diesel1

Gp 100

I don't know about appreciating in value but a 4 or 6 inch Ruger GP 100
is one of the must have guns in my opinion. It's handsome, accurate and incredibly strong.

22-rimfire

Tops on my list are the 4" 22 Colt Diamondback and the Model 17 or 18 Smith (K-22 -22LR also).

Making this a bit more generic, I think every shooter who likes revolvers should own a quality 22 revolver. There is no substitute. And I don't mean buy a Ruger Single Six. They're okay but not tops on the list.

Since we now have factory revolvers to 500 S&W, the 357 mag seems a bit tame these days. Revolver shooters should own a quality 357 revolver. You take your pick from the Colt, Smith, and Ruger lines.

oldironman

Ok boys and girls, as much as I might agree with you're selections, he did say centerfire - not rimfire.
I vote for the S&W 686 and the model 66.

ooreach

taurus CIA .357 or .38, for pocket or home, laser sights, plenty of holsters to choose from, light but not mule kickin' light with full .357's and BIG pocket sized.

TWB

1 vote for the S&W model 65, unfortunately (fortunately, considering that damnable lock) out of production.

twb

Archie

Based on your criteria...

...another must have revolver to own -- to shoot -- not just to admire, although there's nothing wrong with beauty. Centerfire only, DA or SA, smooth action, accurate, 4-8" barrel, a pleasure to shoot, well, like the Colt Python. And to top it off, something that might even appreciate in value...
My choices would be, in order of preference:

Smith & Wesson model 27 with 3.5 inch barrel.
Smith & Wesson model 19 with 4 inch barrel.
Smith & Wesson model 19 with 2.5 inch barrel.
(All these would be the old style, pinned barrel and recessed chambers type.)
Colt Single Action Army in .45 Colt.
Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk, preferably a flat top. I'd prefer the .44 caliber, but I just found and bought a .357.
The Ruger 'small' .44 Magnum - without the dragoon trigger guard.
Good replica of Colt SAA in .45 Colt. (I've seen the Beretta Stampede and it looks really nice.)

All these have classy lines; all are good shooters and fun to shoot - as long as you don't feel the need to constantly shoot earthquake loads - and they will all appreciate in value if you keep them up.

BillCA

Archie - good list...

The Model 19 is a "must have" simply because it is so finely balanced in either the 4" or 6" barrel.

Let's also not forget the workhorse N-frame Model 28
M28_02.jpg

If you want to be different, you can always find one of these;
M57L_1086M.jpg

S&W Model 57 - .41 Magnum

Hammer It

Hi
In a center fire revolver I would have to say an -N- Frame S&W is hard to beat and so is a K-Frame. Let's face it they were the ones that came out first with the .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum and the .44 Magnum ahead of all the rest. They are well known for accuracy, smooth actions and durabilty. Let's start out small in caliber and work our way up since you did not say what Caliber you desired. I would have to have all the Ones shown if I didn't all ready have them..Hammer It.

The S&W Model 16-4 In .32 H&R Magnum Caliber. These are hard to find and a Ball to shoot.

DSCF5795.jpg

The S&W Model 19-4 in .357 MagumThe Last of the Pinned and recessed series

DSCF6232.jpg

The Model 27 with a 5" Barrel. This is the Grandson of the original Registered Magum that changed center Bore History back in 1936.

DSCF0340.jpg

The Model 57 in .41 Magnum that came out in 1964 also as the First .41 Magnum in a revolver

3e098fea.jpg

The Model 29 in .44 Magnum that S&W Introduced back in 1956

570f9d95.jpg

The S&W Model 25-5 in .45 Colt Caliber

DSCF0965.jpg

Hammer It

The 629 and 686 two of the best work horses ever made, not just safe queens!!

Hi
I have never owned a 686 so can't speak for them, But I did own a model 629-3 and it shot Loose within a Year and less than 500 Magnum Loads through it. :mad:I have a friend who had the same experience with his which is a Dash-4 series. I Prefer older Vintage guns in Carbon steel form as they seem to Handle long term durability better than my stainless one did. After this series I have heard S&W came out with an Endurance Package for the 629's. One was enough for me and I shoot all I own, I do not have any safe queens,:rolleyes: I just take care of what I have since it Can't be bought anymore. ;)Hammer It

joshua

I must have a S&W 617, 6 shot 22lr or if I can find one or a K22 in good condition will also do. Another must have is a 4 5/8" Ruger Super Blackhawk.
josh

Baba Louie

Since you state centerfire only, how about another Colt, like a Diamondback? I haven't seen their prices go down lately (nor do I expect to). If you like Colt, there's always the P series SAA's, maybe a Gen 2 in .357? Everyone needs a Detective Special. (try to find a 3")

Obviously the pre war or post war P&R S&W's as others have suggested, but might I suggest a Model 10 in 2-1/2" or 3" just due to the scarcity (but the 10 is soooo common, values probably won't go up until S&W decide to drop new ones from their factory lineup and even then it'll be awhile). Or any N-Frame pre-lock in 3" or 5" bbl length (again, scant production runs in those sizes) for that matter.

The choices are mind boggling. But don't overlook .22's. Cheaper to feed, fun to shoot, the good older ones ain't exactly cheap and are only increasing in value.