Moving From Black Powder to Pyrodex

skywag

Dan Pawlak was a great guy. I flew him around when he developed Pyrodex.
7152793_orig.jpg

deerslayer303

I shoot whatever I have honestly lol. I don't really see a huge difference. The pistols shoot great with "P" and the Kentucky rifle doesn't give two craps what powder is in there. As long as you pour in 90-100 grains she will put the balls dang near in the same hole if I do my part. As far as cleaning it's the same method, my guns NEVER sit without being cleaned after shooting. They are cleaned the very same day no problems. Ballistol made into moose milk cleans up Pyrodex just as easy as BP. If I'm swabbing the bore at the range. Dawn makes light work out of any of it in a sink full of Hot water. Happy SHOOSHTING!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

5whiskey

Well to bring this one back, I chronographed some balls over pyrodex rs out of an open top colt clone yesterday and was really surprised at the numbers. 35 grains of pyrodex rs will launch a .454 140 gn ball to about 980 FPS. I use pyrodex rs because I had a good bit of it given to me. Otherwise, if I have to buy it, it will be Old E powder. A 35 gn charge of Old E powder gives me 1100 FPS out of an 1858 NMA. Grafs black powder is the slowest of all I tried at 890-910 FPS. SD numbers for all of them are in the upper teens, but all my loads are very accurate. I was really surprised as pyrodex rifle powder giving the velocity it did, I would have guessed under 900fps.

ThomasT

Grafs black powder is the slowest of all I tried at 890-910 FPS. SD numbers for all of them are in the upper teens, but all my loads are very accurate. I was really surprised as pyrodex rifle powder giving the velocity it did, I would have guessed under 900fps.

Is the Grafs you tested the old formula or the new stuff loaded for them by Goex since 2020? The old Grafs was supposed to be Schutsen powder. As soon as they have Grafs brand in stock again I was thinking about buying some.

5whiskey

Is the Grafs you tested the old formula or the new stuff loaded for them by Goex since 2020? The old Grafs was supposed to be Schutsen powder. As soon as they have Grafs brand in stock again I was thinking about buying some.

I bought it in 2018 I believe, so it’s the old formula if they changed in 2020. It serves well for most anything, being every bit as accurate as pyrodex and Old E as best I can tell. Just isn’t quite as fast, which honestly doesn’t matter unless I’m going to hunt with it in my rock lock. Then I reach for Old E (pyrodex, of course, is a no go in a flintlock)