Moving From Black Powder to Pyrodex

ChasHam

I'm switching from 3F black powder to Pyrodex P in my stainless 7½ inch Ruger Old Army.

Anything I need to do differently?

Hellgate

If you use a lube wad under the ball/bullet you may get delayed ignition. Pyrodex likes to be compressed (3F/P). Instead of a BOOM! you will get a paBOOM!. When I eliminated the wads I got good ignition if the powder was compressed. After that I pretty much said to hell with it and went back to real gunpowder. All my Pyrodex (P or R/S) went into the shotgun to use it up.

rodwhaincamo

I don’t like the fouling from Pyrodex in my revolvers. It’s more of a sticky fouling. I also don’t like the performance as mine are sidearms for hunting. I used Triple 7 until I found Olde Eynsford.

Hawg

I never get delayed ignition using wads or sticky fouling and I use a lot of Pyrodex. The only thing I ever had delayed ignition with was an 1863 Sharps. The firing channel is long and has two turns. It never failed to fire but it sounded like a poorly timed flintlock. Pyrodex also has an undeserved reputation for corrosion. Just clean it like you would for bp and you will be ok.

Pahoo

Keep moving ???

Moving From Black Powder to Pyrodex
If I may ask; Why ???

I don’t like the fouling from Pyrodex in my revolvers.
If this is the reason, then may I suggest that you keep moving. There is not a big difference between BP and Pyrodex. As mentioned, try some 777 or other M/L replacement propellant. The last time I shot my Ruger Old Army, I used 777. Ya still have to clean but you might like working with it. .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

Pahoo

Missed That !!!

Pyrodex-- primarily for safety reasons...that, and Cabela's had it on sale for $19.99

Sorry Chas-Man, I almost forgot about you. There are always trade-offs when dealing with M/L propellants and safety is always high on the list. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

Hellgate

The Pyro-P is a fluffy powder and will compress quite a bit. You could probably fill the chambers to the brim and ram a ball down on top and still clear the mouth.

Pahoo

Yes but depends on your measure

Is Pyrodex safer than BP???
It depends on your perspective and how one makes this measure. ... :confused:
An important point to consider is that BP is classified as a Class-A explosive and Pyrodex as well as many others, are classified as an combustible mixture. There are numerous safety precautions when dealing with BP that do not need to followed, with the "others".

Be Safe !!!

Schlitz 45

Never had any issues using Pyrodex & switched over more than thirty years ago so I could shoot my revolvers I had at that time without the cylinder jamming up after a couple of reloads. Used R in my 54 Hawken to drop 2 deer during regular rifle season use for fun & it did the job nicely. Just got a Ruger Old Army in stainless & shot it for the first time last weekend using P & it cleaned up like brand new with minimal scrubbing. I do have a pound of 777 that I want to try side by side and shoot through the chronograph & compare it with Pyrodex. Also, used wonder wads for years & haven’t noticed any delay in firing when topping off 30/35gr pistol loads.

Road_Clam

ChasHam said:
I'm switching from 3F black powder to Pyrodex P in my stainless 7½ inch Ruger Old Army.

Anything I need to do differently?

Take your right hand and slap yourself across the face ? ;)

TruthTellers

Pyrodex is cheap for a reason and one of the few times I will ever say you get what you pay for.

I've decided to stick to either real black (which it's nice that Midway sells Goex now) or Triple 7, real black for the authenticity and fun and Triple 7 for the power and easier cleaning.

Pyrodex about ruined a Pietta percussion revolver I have. I had seen some videos (one was Nutnfancy) and they said substitutes don't need cleaning like black powder does. Shot it once and two weeks later I had a brown bore. Even after doing cleanings the same or next day, they never seemed to be enough when dealing with Pyrodex.

Maybe BP is the same, but I see no advantage to Pyrodex other than it being the bottom of the barrel in price. Although I do find it to be pretty accurate, but more than real BP? IDK, will find out when there's a warm enough day and I hit the outdoor range.

Hawg

Pyrodex is cheap for a reason and one of the few times I will ever say you get what you pay for.

I've decided to stick to either real black (which it's nice that Midway sells Goex now) or Triple 7, real black for the authenticity and fun and Triple 7 for the power and easier cleaning.

Pyrodex about ruined a Pietta percussion revolver I have. I had seen some videos (one was Nutnfancy) and they said substitutes don't need cleaning like black powder does. Shot it once and two weeks later I had a brown bore. Even after doing cleanings the same or next day, they never seemed to be enough when dealing with Pyrodex.

Maybe BP is the same, but I see no advantage to Pyrodex other than it being the bottom of the barrel in price. Although I do find it to be pretty accurate, but more than real BP? IDK, will find out when there's a warm enough day and I hit the outdoor range.
I never went two weeks but I have gone nine days after shooting Pyrodex with no ill effects.