Crocodile Dundee

QUOTES:
"Yippee-ki-ay, MOTHERF***ER!"

"More input, Steph-a-nie"

"Get away from her, you BITCH!"
"That's it -- game over, man"

"In your dreams, Sleigh-boy"

"That's not a knife -- THIS is a knife!"

"Gort! Klaatu barada nikto" (Yes, I am old)

"Sir, suck my d**k!"

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning"
"Charlie don't surf"

"But ... but ... you're bl_e_ck!!" (RSA accent)

"Tower, this is Ghostrider requesting a fly-by"
"Negative, Ghostrider, the pattern is full"

Grayfox

Well you folks have already mentioned most of my favorites, but you missed a few.

The Mountian Men- Carlton Heston and Brian Keith "Shinin' times"

Jeremiah Johnson
The Right Stuff
The Longest Day
Stalag 17
The Ghost and the Darkness
The African Queen

Sci-fi:
The Thing (original)
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Jurrasic Park
The Lost World (JP2)
Escape From New York
Escape from LA (ya gotta love Snake Pliskin)

Comedy:
Undercover Blues
Milk Money
Jumping Jack Flash

Help, I'm reviewing and can't shut up! :)

sskraft

Man what a great list. You guys have come up with a couple of must see movies for this weekend. However, you seem to have missed a couple (but not many) so I submit

300 Spartans. If you like honor as a plot line and a bunch of guys with swords this is the pic for you.

30 Days a Peking. Heston and company and a lot of period weapons.

Just a couple, think of more when mind clears.

Bulldog

I can't believe no one has mentioned some of John Wayne's all-time classics:

-The Searchers
-The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance
-Hondo
-North to Alaska
-Rio Bravo
-Rio Lobo
-El Dorado
-The Undefeated
-True Grit
-McClintock

What about "El Mariachi" and "Desperado?" As corny as the story lines might have been, they were still cool flicks.

And how about "Heat" with Robert DeNiro and Al Pachino and "Colors" with Robert Duvall and Sean Penn?

Rob Pincus

WEll, I went out and bought Seven Samurai earlier tonight, believe it or not, I've never scene it... I'm sure it'll be wonderful.

I can't leave Media Play without at least two additions to the library, so I picked up Suicide Kings and A Better Tomorrow II... I'm very anxious to see the later and will watch it tonight.. I just wish the Imported DVDs were as cheap as the regular ones!

Mort-
Actually, I found the Spike Lee movie with Harvey Keitel (and almost bought it..) it was Clockers... great movie. (does anyone know a bad movie with Harvey Keitel in it?

BTW- In case some of you wonder why I don't hve many new movies in my list (saving, etc...) it is because I hardly ever go to the movie theatres. I have invested about 20 years worth of movie tickets in my home set-up.

Mort

The Seven Samurai is *amazing*. You'll be mesmerized.

As for Harvey Keitel movies that are bad, well, I was kind of wierded out by Bad Lieutenant. Keitel's prominently displayed penis aside, it just had a weird flow and odd climax (wait, it didn't have a climax).

Rob Pincus

Yes, I knew that Bad Lieutenant would come up. It is a freaky movie, but I think of it as the evil side of most of Harvey's borderline characters. It is my least favorite Harvey Keitel movie, because there is really nothing redeeming about him, which, going by the title, is what they were trying for. ;)

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited March 04, 1999).]

Bulldog

Bad Lieutenant made me want to Puke! It's the only movie I have ever seen during which I actually felt awkward.

Trevor

Another notable flick is the 1971 film _The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid_ about the James-Younger gang robbing a bank. The movie has a memorable scene when Cole Younger (played by Cliff Robertson) declares that guns, not baseball, are America's pastime. Of course, the scene is probably fiction, but I agree with the assertion.

Rob Pincus

A Better Tomorrow II gets the nod, but it is not as good as the original..,bringing Chow back as the long lost twin brother of his character that died inthe first movie is a real stretch!

As far as movies that made me want to puke,
I actually turned off both Leaving Las Vegas and Strippers and, no, I don't care to hear how they ended.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited March 05, 1999).]

Andy

Someone mentioned Tremors. That movie had a great line in it. "I'm completely out of ammo. That's never happened to me before." Makes me think of TFL :)

Enemy of the State was great too. Almost scary cus it ain't made up.

Andy

Flotsam

While not a movie, if you get a chance to catch any of the "Sharpe" series on PBS/History Channel, you'd probably enjoy them. The novels by Bernard Cornwell were excellent, and the series follows them fairly accurately. Great for those historical buffs.

As for great movies, I agree w/ most of what's been posted. Although, Harvey Keitel just tends to put me to sleep. :)

Sam

Kodiac

I just saw Enemy of the State the other night. Yeah it is scary - since really, our satalites are MUCH BETTER than the ones they show. Ours can read your EYE COLOR and tell the time from your wrist watch! DAMN! That is too much... I am no consiracy theorist - but your not really paranoid if THEY really are watching you!

------------------

Resistance is Futile

Q

Man Bites Dog and Meet the Feebles for those who like their movies a bit "off."

Someone mentioned The Deer Hunter already, and I'd like to reiterate. DeNiro said it was his most difficult and rewarding film. I'd tend to agree, but then, I like just about anything with DeNiro in it (except maybe Jacknife.) Taxi Driver is great, and seeing DeNiro with a Mohawk is kinda cool for those of us who were at one time "punk."

For good tearjerkers, the French film Ponette really struck me. See it with your wives.

And anything by Tim Burton is fun to watch... Who couldn't like a filmmaker who starts his movie Mars Attacks!, with a heard of flaming cows?

I'm also a sucker for Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's mostly for the line, "Do you think she's talented? Deeply and importantly? ... Do you think she is handsomely paid?"

=Q=

------------------
"Oh, grow up, 007."

JJB

And just in defense of the late, great Isaac Asimov (not his too liberal politics or preachy writing) don't blame him for the theatrical abomination Nightfall, the short story was good and the novelization was very good. He is reported as claiming he had no editorial input into the production or the script.

Other Sci Fi, A Boy and His Dog, thanks to Harlan Ellison; Forbidden Planet for some great old time sci fi And that classic desert war flick, Lawrence of Arabia.

and now my memory fails since the rest of you have listed most of my favorites.

Jim in IN

------------------
-- TANSTAAFL

[This message has been edited by JJB (edited March 06, 1999).]

DC

Moderator Emeritus
What, no Patton?

A Bronx Tale...Chazz Palminteri,DeNiro,Pesci and a ton of guidos of all shapes and sizes.
Ferris Bueller
Legends of the Fall
Heaven and Earth great samurai
Rob Roy
My Cousin Vinny
Fargo
Club Paradise

Rob Pincus

No Patton? HA! not only did I mention Patton.. He got his own line and succint "Period", cuzz I fel there was enough said. ;)

Good Catch on Ferris and Fargo!

------------------
-Essayons

Rob Pincus

Stanley Kubrick has died.

Pull out your copy of Clockwork, 2001 or FMJ and watch it in his honor.

He aparently has one more movie to be released: "Eyes Wide Shut"

Status
Not open for further replies.