Move Over Perazzi

TheKlawMan

Yep. Big 5 Sporting Goods does it again.:p

I will get my Swiss Army knife, also from Big 5, and scrawl Perazzi on one and be shooting AAA, or is that Alcoholics Anonymous, over night.

Last edited:

Sarge

I'm not sure it's legal to put a synthetic stock on an over-under. Sort of like breeding parrots with buzzards... if there isn't a law against it, there probably should be ;)

zippy13

Perhaps an O/U with a synthetic stock is prohibited by the obscenity laws. If not, then at least by common decency.

TheKlawMan

Actually I was thinking of gettin one and inserting LED Xmas tree lights in the black synthetic stock. When I rarely kill a target I can push a button and not only will the lilghts flash for several seconds, but a siren sounds whoop whoop. Now that is class!

Technosavant

Heh, IMO, it doesn't look so bad. I'm not against the idea of synthetic stocks on a O/U- my thinking is that while wood does look better, good looking wood costs quite a bit. If a synth stock can knock a few hundred off the cost of the same gun, then it makes higher quality gear available to more people.

Technosavant

If it saved $100 over a $2000 dollar gun, no.

If it saved $100 on a $500 gun, maybe.

We're usually talking well over $100 on a $2000 gun. The high quality wood stocks can add hundreds of dollars to the price of a basic action; just take note of the cost differential between the basic Browning Citori and the top end ones... the difference is mostly in the stock; the grade of wood, the finish, etc.

IMO, we could do with more clay game oriented guns with more utilitarian stocks cut to the appropriate fashion; not every gun needs to be a conversation piece. If I were out buying a new O/U, I'd certainly be willing to opt for a gun with a straight comb synth stock over the grade III/IV beautiful walnut grain if it meant $300-500, which it can indeed mean.

Drummer101

But I thought that typically Browning offered the same gun with the different grades because of that. I would not think the lowest of the grades (for the same mechanical parts and regulation of barrels) would be that that much different.

oneounceload

IMO, we could do with more clay game oriented guns with more utilitarian stocks

Most of the guns made for SERIOUS competition ARE fairly plain with boring straight grain - because that is where the strength lies. Exhibition wood is gorgeous to look at - friend has a beautiful Beretta SO5 - and is on his third stock because the fancy wood grain and potential for small knots is high and they break more easily. P comp guns (Zippy's excluded) that I have seen and handled were not worth describing. There is more to the price than wood

BigJimP

Browning has a few models they offer in synthetic stocks vs more traditional wood...like these 2 models of the Cynergy O/U ....saving you about $ 620 between the synthetic and the wood version ...( not identical / but close )...because the comb on the wood stock is adjustable for cast - where the one on the composite stock is not.

http://www.browning.com/products/ca...rting-composite-with-adjustable-comb-firearms this one at $ 3,820 list

http://www.browning.com/products/ca...ynergy-sporting-with-adjustable-comb-firearms this one at $ 4,440 list ...

-------------------

I shoot a carbon fibre stocked Benelli Super sport model once in a while at clay targets ...and nobody is looking down their nose at me ...

Shotguns 11-10-08 021.jpg

/ but then I think more than the style of stock ....its about having manners on the field ( not talking when others are shooting, etc - respecting the other shooters - and showing good safe gun handling ..... But I will be the first to say if someone shows up at my skeet field with a "tactical" spec gun ... my assumption is they may be doing all kinds of things ...so I do watch them closely ( but remain friendly ). Not everyone shooting a $ 10,000 shotgun has good manners either ....there are a number of guys, that I don't want to squad with ....because they're always running their mouths, etc ...taking 2 shots at one target, etc ...( all bad manners, in my view).

But a nice stock on a gun ....is not a bad thing either ... ( here are a couple of my Trap guns ....and I like the upgraded stock on the blonde one ...) its part of why I bought it ( it was used ) ...and I enjoy it every time I pick it up.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67933&d=1299018573

If a shooter shows respect - follows the rules - I have no problem with him shooting a synthetic stocked O/U or semi-auto or a pump gun ...and if he has a good round ...I acknowledge it, just like I do for anyone on the squad !

TheKlawMan

The Big 5 Perazzi just gets better. I just noticed that for $359.99 the ad indicates that you get both 28" vent rib barrels (plural) and a 18 1/2" barrel (singular) for the O/U. I am going to start digging out the LED Xmas lights.

BigJimP

It's a combo kit ....:eek::eek:

You better check those barrels ...and make sure they aren't paper mache or something ...

But seriously, if it doesn't have a warranty --- and you really want an O/U at least look at the TriStar sold by Cabelas that does have a 5 yr warranty. I don't think the track record on Maverick is very good...

TheKlawMan

I am kidding about getting a Maverick, although a Maverick pump might do fine as a barn gun, but I have seen a picture of the O/U with what looks like an 18 1/2" barrel. As for what Big 5 is selling, it only has the 28" barrels and they screwed up their ad. As for buying a used quality gun, that is probably the way I will go after I have cut my teeth on the 870.

Last edited:

Saltydog235

Browning has a few models they offer in synthetic stocks vs more traditional wood...like these 2 models of the Cynergy O/U ....saving you about $ 620 between the synthetic and the wood version ...( not identical / but close )...because the comb on the wood stock is adjustable for cast - where the one on the composite stock is not.

I got a good buddy that got one of those Cynergy SHOT Show guns. Its got 28" backbored, ported barrels and 3 1/2" chambers. He uses it as his duck gun and its a load with those big shells. Dern thing is heavy as heck too.