• .357mag

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • .44mag

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • other please specify

Votes: 10 4.7%

• Total voters

sakeneko

I think that there's too much ambiguity in the question to answer it well. I carry a .357 revolver -- that's what it is chambered for. I usually carry it loaded with .38 +P for self defense, and about 80% of my practice is with .38 special rounds, although I carry with .357 magnum on occasion (usually when hiking/camping) and practice with .357 magnum enough to stay used to it.

So is that .38 sp or .357 magnum on the poll? I answered .357 magnum because that's the caliber of the gun, but I can see that .38 special would have been an equally valid answer.

I answered .357 magnum because that's the caliber of the gun, but I can see that .38 special would have been an equally valid answer.
It's common to confuse "caliber" and "cartridge."

If we're talking about the most popular revolver cartridge for carry, it'd be .38 Special, hands down.

treg

I voted 38's.

IIRC there use to be a member here who's signature was something like; "Most talk 45's, shoot 9's and carry 38's."

Same here.

Wish I could give credit where credit is due on that sig line.

I do carry my .357 stubbie stoked with .38's more than anything for CCW, although the .44 Special goes when mode of dress allows it to hide.

ETA: I find it surprising that 9mm revolvers are not far more popular than they are.

Last edited:

458winshooter

38 for carry

I think the 38 spl would be the most common carried.It is an effective round when not loaded with a round nose bullet and can be handled well by anyone.Even in a small frame snubbie recoil is not hard to overcome.Follow up shots are quicker,and ammo is found pretty much everywhere.