Most painful rifle kick you've personally experienced

Targa

I was a little to relaxed with my Mosin one time while bench shooting and had that steel butt plate slam into my collar bone....ouch!!! Not the hardest recoiling rifle I have ever shot but do to my lack of attention certainly the one that has hurt me the most.

hammie

I just recalled an incident from my mis-spent youth, and will have to revise my answer in post #4.

I was somewhere between 10 and 12, at my uncle's farm, and for some reason the adults were gone. My cousin and I decided to shoot my uncle's single shot, break open 12 gauge. If I recall correctly it was either a winchester or savage and weighed about 5.5 pounds. My cousin said that he thought the 12 gauge really kicked. (All we had ever fired were .22's and a .410). I was up first and thinking I was wise, I hitched the hard plastic 12 gauge butt plate tightly my shoulder, and then backed my shoulder up, hard against a stout tree.

All I can say is that I was probably lucky not to break my collar bone.

jmr40

Most recoil is between the ears. Lots of people convince themselves that certain guns kick a lot more or less than they really do. I've shot 300, 338, 8mm, 375, and 416 magnums and didn't find any of them objectionable. The worst rifle recoil came from one of the 1970's era Marlin 1895's in 45-70 with near 458 mag level re-loads. Those only weigh about 7 lbs and came with a curved butt plate with no pad.

Some stock designs make recoil feel a lot worse. While I wouldn't call it unpleasant any lever action in 30-30 or 44 mag hurts a lot more than the numbers say it should. When you start shooting hot 45-70's in that stock design it is no longer fun.

The absolute worst recoil was from 12 ga 3.5" turkey loads from a Remington 870 Supermag.

Tinbucket

most painful kick you have personally experienced

Ma Duce was hell for e to control and the one at Basic with shoulder stirrups left red sores for weeks.
A.45 CColt bear load 360 grain hard lead, in older Ruger Vaaquero. Load similar to Casul loading.
Bruised my hand an thumbs of both hands.
My Weatherby recoil doesn't bother me but I'e had to replace Leupold steel scope mounts because recoil caused the scope to cut the eye of two or three others. Eye Relief is proper for me and I'm pretty good size.
Remington 1100 with load of buck with one hand. Really messed up my wrist for a while.
M14 with duplex loads or2 bullets in same cartridge, on auto. Bruised my shoulder very badly. Steel checkered flat buttplate.
.44magnum Ruger with Hornady 300 grain bullets loaded to max and seated out to second thingamagig. Minds somewhere resting.
Recoil with Pacymer rubber grips leaves rubber on your hand and recoil isa bout like shooting my Rem 600 in 308 with one hand.

Wyosmith

For me it was a 4-Bore I made.
Depending on the powder charge it can go from super bad on the easy end to OMG on the other end.
Here is a picture of a friend firing it. I was behind the camera on this one.

I also built a 2 bore, but I would not fire it from my shoulder.

Dufus

Worse one I ever shot was a 1970 Rem 700 BDL in 30-06 with some 150 gr Speer Hot Cor over 50 gr H4895. Second worse was a 338 WM that I used to have.

I have a 460 Weatherby that has never hurt me. Of course I have never shot it off a bench.

mikejonestkd

It looks like we have a winner - Wyosmith, that is both awesome and awful at the same time...

My personal worst experience is 3.5" turkey loads out of a light weight mossberg 535 pump off the bench. After 10 rounds of trying to zero a red dot on it I called it ' good enough for gov't work '.

A close second would be a light weight TC encore in 375 H&H. The cartridge is painful, the stock design makes it even more so.

EIB0879

I had a Ithaca Single shot 12 ga when I was eleven. Thing would flat slap me down, literally. Ended up on my back in a duck blind one time after shooting it. My stepfather laughed that I needed to suck it up.

Then one Sunday we were squirrel hunting and my stepfather fell in a creek. He built a fire and was drying his clothes while I was relieving myself. My stepfather saw a squirrel and my shotgun was closest so he picked it up and took aim. When he shot, it spun him around.

That Christmas I had a Rem 870 20 gauge pump under the tree.:D

As far as rifles, I can shoot my 300 Weatherby about 6-7 rounds and I'm done.

Last edited:

Bigtimber

Shot a 375 H&H a few times long ago. Shot a lot of different guns over the years....a lot of different calibers I suppose.....but that one stood out the crowd for me anyhow lol.

USCS

S&W .500 with full house Cor Bon loads. Felt the shockwaves travel up my arms.
Damn thing hurt my feelings. Second would be my brother's Savage 110 in .270. That thing is brutal.

reynolds357

The hardest recoiling gun I have ever shot was a Mossberg pump 3 1/2" magnum. The hardest recoiling rifle I have shot is one particular Rem 700 BDL in .300 Win mag. There is just something about that rifle that hurts. I have shot .458 Win mag. with no brake. .416 Rigby without brake. .460 wby, and none of them hurt anything like that one particular .300 Win.

Hawg

For me it was a Hot loaded Siamese Mauser in 45-70. I'm not recoil sensitive and disdain recoil pads and this thing had about three inches of pad on it. I think I even sneered when he handed it to me.:D Three shots was all I wanted. I don't even want to think about how it would have felt with no pad. He was wearing a shooting jacket and putting a bag of lead shot between it and his shoulder and he wouldn't shoot it but three times.:eek:

emcon5

This:

left_full_m.jpg

cars

Marlin 45-70 with some 405 grain hot reloads. I had a long beard at the time and didn't notice that my beard was caught between my shoulder and the rifle but. Snapped my neck around. This was a couple years ago, it STILL hurts when I turn my head. :(
cars

2damnold4this

Not a rifle but I had the bright idea of toting a cheap, lightweight single shot 12 gauge for turkey season. The little Chinese made 12 has no recoil pad and one hot turkey load fired for patterning was enough to change my mind.

Dranrab

Of the guns I have owned, a 7600 35 Whelen with no recoil pad and a Marlin 1895G 45-70 with maxed out 405s were the hardest kickers, but they were bearable for a range session. I shot a qualifying course with a Winchester M70 375 H&H and didn't find it too uncomfortable. The most punishment I ever took was Remington 870s in a 20 or 25 round qualifying course. We were required to wear our type 3 life jackets and the gun kept sliding off of the life jacket and well out onto my shoulder. I bruised every time I shot that course.