Most painful rifle kick you've personally experienced

TXAZ

Like the title says, what specific make, model and ammo have you shot that was truly painful. I normally shoot a Barrett .50 BMG, which does an amazing job of managing the recoil with it's mass and efficient muzzle brake. Most high power rifles don't seem to do that.

For me it was a Weatherby 7mm Mag using 160 grain factory ammo. 2 shots and I was done.

Did anyone have an experience like this, where you lost control of the rifle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAIj-y4frao

So what rifle and ammo was it for you?

FrankenMauser

.450 Nitro 3-1/4" snaps my neck every time. (Sabatti double rifle that doesn't fit me.)

Other things can be uncomfortable (especially if not my rifle); but that's the only one that causes real pain.

Fla_dogman

My Remington 3006 7600 carbine. Kicks worse than anything else I've shot including 7mm REM mag and 300 weatherby.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

hammie

It was a sporter weight, 98 mauser chambered for .375 H&H. I was also shooting a 10.5 pound, .458 Win mag rifle, alternately with the .375 H&H. Believe it or not, the .458 Win Mag was way more comfortable to shoot.

T. O'Heir

BP load of 70 grains with a cast 405 grain bullet, out of a Trap Door Carbine. Should have been 55 grains, but there was no internet then.
A Barrett M82A1 .50 BMG weighs 32.7 pounds and is semi-auto. Even their bolt action is 23.5. A TrapDoor Carbine weighs 6. snicker.

doofus47

I was at the range once (wearing a tshirt) and I fired my 30-06 before I'd settled it into my shoulder. It doesn't have a pad and it whacked me right on the shoulder joint.

That brought tears to my eyes.

Otherwise, no.

aarondhgraham

.375 H&H Magnum

.375 H&H Magnum,,,
Dang near took my shoulder off.

Two rounds and I had enough of that bad boy.

I've fired some big cartridges in my life,,,
Nothing before had ever hurt me like that rifle did.

And I'm the kid that grew up on metal butt plated mil-surp rifles.

Aarond

Sevens

Mine was the aftermarket Katahdin .500 S&W Magnum barrel on a single shot T/C Encore rifle, running the Hornady 300gr FTX load. Rifle weighed very, very little and recoil was absolutely horrendous. I sent four shots down range.

Runner up was some whippy barrel synthetic stock, all too light Savage bolt gun in 7mm Rem Mag. That was brutal.

Deaf Smith

Toss up between a Ruger 77 .338 Winchester Magnum from a bench rest (my gun) and a Marlin 336 Guide Gun in 45/70 (again from a bench rest, my gun to!)

I've shot .458 WM and .416s off hand and they were no where near as bad.

Now OFF HAND shooting.... My Mossburg 12 Gauge 500 Mariner with 3 inch Buckshot. That is the most awful kicking long gun I've ever shot from any position.

Deaf

Ricklin

My old Hawken

My old T/C Hawken .50, a big heavy approx. 500 grain chunk O lead, and 110 grains of holy Black. The Hawken was fairly light.

Actually was very shootable from a standing position. The "slow shove" recoil was then pretty easy to soak up.

Benchrest was worse, but still tolerable. It was from the prone position that the rifle was truly brutal. That ol curved brass buttplate.....oy vay. My right shoulder looked like I had gone a couple rounds with Mike Tyson beating on my shoulder.

I quickly learned that best accuracy was attained with less powder. Had nothing to do with flinch, was more tolerable with less powder.

Boogershooter

Custom built 308. 5lbs 4 ounces. Second would be 12 gauge 3 1/2 buckshot from the bench remington 870 with 18 inch barrel. I own two 375 h&h's. I've shot alot of big bore rifles that have broke my grip loose but none hurt my shoulder like the two mentioned. In third place would be a winchester featherweight in .270. It had the pretty green laminated stock and I believe was a special run. My remington 700 in 300 rum knocks my hat off almost every shot but it doesn't hurt. I think the big bores hurt more the next day than they do at the Crack of the shot.

Lumber

Benelli Nova Tactical was the worst I've ever had. I'm a weirdly shaped dude (long torso and arms.)

It was my buddy's gun and I was thinking about getting one so we went to the range. I shouldered it and thought to myself "If I buy one of these I'm for sure going to have to get a longer stock"

I put one slug through it and the recoil cause me to basically punch myself in the sunglasses.

Blindstitch

I watched my dad shoot a single shot 12 gauge with a hardened recoil pad when he was trying to get me into goose hunting. He probably hadn't shot the gun in 15-20 years. When he pulled the trigger I remember seeing the coffee can he was shooting at go down. But he also fell to his knees holding his shoulder.

I hunted with the 20 gauge for another year till I bought a Mossberg 500 12 gauge to use.

That was probably in 1996 and I bet the gun hasn't been shot since.

Oliver Sudden

An eight bore muzzle loading rifle loaded with 265 grs of 1f Swiss and a 1095 grain bullet put my thumb to my nose hard enough to wet my eyes! The second shot I figured I would be ready for it but I got the same lesson. Shoulder hurt some but the center of my chest felt like it had been torn. Now I'm a graduate from Africa game rifle school, no more classes needed.

MikeGoob

V29Uu1G.gif

Blindstitch

For me it is probably the Winchester 94 in 30-30. Doesn't sound bad but that thin little stock and steel plate has bruised my shoulder more than once. I installed a Packmayr Decelerator slip on recoil pad giving more surface area and a more correct length of pull and I haven't had that problem since.

Always thought it was going to be uncomfortable to shoot 30-06, 444 marlin and 50 caliber black powder because of it. Turns out I was wrong because of that little bruiser.

NoSecondBest

A TC Omega 50cal with 100 grains of BH209, a three hundred grain bullet, and not enough eye relief. I was 63 years old and it was the first, and hopefully the last, time I ever got "scoped". Bled like a stuck hog as the old saying goes. I don't think the recoil was the worst ever, but the result was. I immediately went to 4" of eye relief on another scope the same week.