Most authentic GI 45?

eastbank

i have a parked nm four ditgit 41xx springfield model of 1911-A1 that was given to me by a good friend many years ago and it has kept up against quite a few other makers,including colt. the sights are as the original and suck for older eyes, i did put packmyer signature grips on it. it eats every thing, but 180gr semiwadcutter cast bullets and has fired many hundreds of rounds with only a few hicups.

Thread drift. The question asked in the OP was:

JJ45 said:
Which production 1911A1 is closest to a GI 45?

Which maker sells a new 1911A1 clone that most closely compares to a military issue 1911A1? Grips, trigger, MSH, sights, etc.?

bamaranger

demand

I'm not sure there is the demand for the GI guns, the 1911, or the .45acp overall.

Guys who intend to carry and shoot the 1911 are an aging and disappearing species. Consider the 1911 advocates..(hey, I like that:)).....Cooper (gone), Askins (gone) Hackathorn (aging), Ayoob (aging), Clint Smith (aging).

The "way" is now striker fired, poly, 9mm. Bamaboy, 26 yrs and a serious trigger puller, has little interest in the guns, nor most any of his associates.
Too heavy, too complicated, not enough beans....we all know the criticisms.

The Turk and other import guns satisfy the limited demand in the configuration in which they arrive and most are more than happy with the price point I suspect we'll have to live with it.

JN01

attachment.php

I had an Auto Ordnance, looked pretty good. There are several different models, the 1911BKO does not have the huge ejection port. I changed the trigger to a GI style. https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/firearms/auto-ordnance-1911bko.asp

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Too heavy, too complicated, not enough beans....we all know the criticisms.

Personally, I have reached the point in my life where I don't much care about what my kids (or grandkids) don't like, and even less about what other people like and don't like,

I've owned several of the actual GI guns, and was an actual GI while it was still our service pistol. On top of that, I was MOS 45B20 Small Arms Repairman, so I handled, and inspected a LOT of 1911A1s, and even a handful of actual 1911s.

I've always been very impressed with the design. The very newest of the GI guns I encountered had been in service for 30 years, and nearly all were older. Guess how many I actually had to repair??

JJ45

Personally, I have reached the point in my life where I don't much care about what my kids (or grandkids) don't like, and even less about what other people like and don't like,

I've owned several of the actual GI guns, and was an actual GI while it was still our service pistol. On top of that, I was MOS 45B20 Small Arms Repairman, so I handled, and inspected a LOT of 1911A1s, and even a handful of actual 1911s.

I've always been very impressed with the design. The very newest of the GI guns I encountered had been in service for 30 years, and nearly all were older. Guess how many I actually had to repair??
How many, maybe as as a percentage?

44 AMP

Staff
Guess how many I actually had to repair??

How many, maybe as as a percentage?

I'll do better than give you a percentage, I'll give you the actual number.

2 were for the rear sight, and absolutely user caused damage (dropped on concrete/steel)

2 were for grip screw bushings, and nearly certain that was user caused, and the last one needed the plunger tube restaked.

I was Direct Support/General Support level maint (which meant I could do any work short of repairing the frame) for the 9th Infantry and later, the 2nd Armored Division, and I saw a lot of pistols during inspections. Damn few needed repair.

Done right, GI pattern 1911A1s are incredibly durable and the work. I don't know of anyone doing them today, but I haven't been following the market lately, sorry.

reynolds357

Which production 1911A1 is closest to a GI 45?

Which maker sells a new 1911A1 clone that most closely compares to a military issue 1911A1? Grips, trigger, MSH, sights, etc.?
I don't know if it's back in production yet, but the Remington 1911 was supposedly built identical to the pistols they supplied the U.S. armed forces. I have not looked at mine that close. I got two of them with serial numbers under 500 I'm their first year back. All I have done with them is oil them and make them safe queens.

RickB

The M1911A1s made during WWII were from Remington Rand, a typewriter company.
Remington the gun company, made M1911s during WWI.
The typewriter business had been spun-off many years prior to WWII.
That said, the modern Remington pistol was not a bad replica.

CZ made one that was pretty good, too.

JJ45

I'll do better than give you a percentage, I'll give you the actual number.

2 were for the rear sight, and absolutely user caused damage (dropped on concrete/steel)

2 were for grip screw bushings, and nearly certain that was user caused, and the last one needed the plunger tube restaked.

I was Direct Support/General Support level maint (which meant I could do any work short of repairing the frame) for the 9th Infantry and later, the 2nd Armored Division, and I saw a lot of pistols during inspections. Damn few needed repair.

Done right, GI pattern 1911A1s are incredibly durable and the work. I don't know of anyone doing them today, but I haven't been following the market lately, sorry.
Thanks...how much shooting was done with these pistols though?
I had a new Colt 1911 I bought in about 2000 ( O Model?) that needed the plunger tube re-staked after very little range time.

44 AMP

Staff
Thanks...how much shooting was done with these pistols though?

Who can say, other that it varied a LOT. Some saw quite a bit of use during their service life, some, very little. I'd venture to say that during peacetime, nearly all only got shot during yearly qualification, if that.

Some were in field use during WW I, WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. The last 1911A1s the govt bought for general use was in 1945.

And, its a given that the miliary never kept track of round count for small arms. For artillery tubes, yes, they did, but not for small arms. Number of rounds didn't matter, only passing the serviceability requirements.

Your 1991 Colt would have failed inspection with a loose plunger tube. Had it been a GI gun in service, it would have been turned in for repair, and the tube would have been restaked, or replaced and staked. A simple matter, really.

jar

Got a set of used US Issue 1911 grips and put them on the Tisas Model 1911A1 U.S. Army and I like the look and feel. The checkering is slightly finer and more aggressive than what came on the pistol, also a little darker and maybe just a hair more palm swell.

As purchased:

attachment.php

With issued grips:

attachment.php

Attachments

• vintage-issue-grips.jpg
    vintage-issue-grips.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 85

JJ45

Got a set of used US Issue 1911 grips and put them on the Tisas Model 1911A1 U.S. Army and I like the look and feel. The checkering is slightly finer and more aggressive than what came on the pistol, also a little darker and maybe just a hair more palm swell.

As purchased:

attachment.php

With issued grips:

attachment.php
That's a real nice finish, nice grips.