Most authentic GI 45?

JJ45

Which production 1911A1 is closest to a GI 45?

Which maker sells a new 1911A1 clone that most closely compares to a military issue 1911A1? Grips, trigger, MSH, sights, etc.?

jar

The SDS Imports Tisas US Army 1911A1 is very close with only a few exceptions. The ejection port is enlarged and lowered to improve reliability and the hammer spur is slightly wider.

attachment.php

I have about 500 rounds through mine so far with zero failure to feed, zero failure to fire and zero failure to eject using 230 ball, 185 hp and 185+p hp. The sights are very true to the original, nearly useless. I have also had no issues using magazines from Checkmate, Ed Brown (likely made by Checkmate), MecGar and Wilson.

jar

Thank Jar, good to know... I'll check out the Tisas
Some other differences I forgot to mention. The magwell is slightly beveled to make inserting easier and more reliable but that is simply not something visibly seen. The plastic grips are slightly different color and the checkering is not quite as fine but they do look remarkably like the issued ones.

Siggy-06 said:
Auto Ordnance 1911A1
Specifically, the A-O model 1911BKO.

The problem is that the A-O has a lowered and flared ejection port. That takes it out of the running as a contender for being closest to a GI 45.

Jim Watson

That does indeed look close. The enlarged ejection port on these and other sorta-GI guns is unfortunate but is about all you can get.
The trigger is shorter than most, nearly as short as GI.

the hammer spur is slightly wider.

Early A1s had wide spurs, this one doesn't look far off.

jar

That does indeed look close. The enlarged ejection port on these and other sorta-GI guns is unfortunate but is about all you can get.
The trigger is shorter than most, nearly as short as GI.

Early A1s had wide spurs, this one doesn't look far off.
One big difference between the Tisas and the 1911 that followed dad home from his all expenses paid four year tour of the Mediterranean, North Africa, Italy and the Persian Gulf is that it doesn't rattle. The one that followed dad home was so loose it rattled even when stuffed in a sock in the back of a drawer.

Drm50

The best GI 1911s were boosted out of supply chain before they could be sent to fronts.
There are always exceptions but these are the guns that are original guns with matching parts. By the time my Generation were issued 1911s in RVn they had been reconditioned and reissued several times. Make no mistake there are still many of these guns to be kicked out of woodwork.
In most cases dads or grandpa’s 1911 was not their issue piece. The pistol is going to be issued to you, you are responsible for pistol. An officer is responsible for pistol at each level.
Poo runs down hill, not many are stupid enough to boost their own issue pistol. Back in world loosing a weapon was a big deal. Besides the red tape they would take it out of your pay. In Combat Zone they could be wrote off as combat loss. I would guess hundreds wrote of this way from RVn. I remember in 1950s when I was a kind a memorable argument in LGS over a GI 1911. Owner refused to take on trade at any value because of US Property markings. I think first time I herd adults yelling at each other.

RickB

The problem is that the A-O has a lowered and flared ejection port

It is very slightly lowered, maybe 1/8" - a lot less than the typical newer 1911 - but it's not flared.
The trigger is a bit too long, with visible pins, but that can be easily replaced with a proper one-piece trigger.
I used to advocate for the Springfield G.I., mostly because it has the forged frame and slide specified for the M1911A1, but it has some warts, too.

highpower3006

I think Colt may have made a decent clone of a 1911A1, I know they made some very nice reproductions of WWI 1911's.

The trouble I have with the current clones is the things that you can't change to make them look more authentic like the ejection port. Otherwise all you get is a modern 1911A1 that is parkerized. Unfortunately the market for original condition GI guns has inflated so much that most folks can no longer afford to buy a "real" GI 1911 and clones are about the only inexpensive option left.

I have been lucky enough to have a few WWI and WWII genuine USGI 1911/1911A1's.

1911A1 top to bottom:
1942 Colt
1944 R-R
1943 Ithaca
IMG_4021_Fotor%2Cfotor-XL.jpg

Last edited:

JJ45

Checked out a new Tisas like Jar's above on Gunbroker just to see one and it has a tag that says "forged frame and slide" also HDM (hardened before machined)....never heard this before (HDM) Not sure if the AO also has this kind of construction.

What if they machined before hardened? What is the difference? As I said, I never heard this before.let alone on a factory tag on a new gun

Last edited:

Jim Watson

Uneven thickness parts - like guns - might warp in heat treatment.
Lugers were soft fit, heat treated, and hard fit to suit their tight design.

RickB

I respectfully disagree.

I searched, looked at two dozen pics of what were supposed to be the 1911BKO, and none had a flared ejection port. Specs may have changed.

EDIT: It appears the Commander version has the flared port?

bobn

did the auto ordnance thing. no thank you. the worn out 45s aboard ship in the 70s were fitted up better than that. bobn

Last edited:

Hawg

I searched, looked at two dozen pics of what were supposed to be the 1911BKO, and none had a flared ejection port. Specs may have changed.

EDIT: It appears the Commander version has the flared port?
It may not be flared but it is lowered.

jar

Tisas also makes Commander size versions, the Carry which is an upscale more modern design ...

attachment.php

... but also what they call the "Tanker" that is closer to the early design. Even there the ejection port is flared and the backstrap is the flat design while the magwell is slightly flared but the finish and basic look is classic GI.

Attachments

• 1911-Carry.jpg
    1911-Carry.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,662

JJ45

Tisas also makes Commander size versions, the Carry which is an upscale more modern design ...

attachment.php

... but also what they call the "Tanker" that is closer to the early design. Even there the ejection port is flared and the backstrap is the flat design while the magwell is slightly flared but the finish and basic look is classic GI.
Thanks for the info. The article said the Tanker has a cerakote finish. Not sure if it's as durable as parkerizing