Most accurate rifle for $700

SCgman

The sauer 100 xt is a very well made rifle that uses rem 700 long action bases. I hunt with a tikka t3 as well and the sauer trigger is a tad better. Both are top quality off the shelf factory guns.

Henry400

I'll throw the Cabelas/BPS FV12 in for consideration, can get the rifle and good scope for $700. I've got 3 of the FV12's, all are very accurate, even more so with handloads. They are on the ugly side with the tupperware stock, but still very accurate.
I second the FV12. Mine's in .22-250, topped with a Vortex Crossfire II.

Nathan

Well, put in the order yesterday,
1 weatherby vanguard series 2 223 rem wood stock w/twist rate of 1/14
1 weatherby vanguard threat response 6.5 creedmoor w/twist rate of 1/8
supposed to be in by the end of the week. finally getting a 6.5 creedmoor. I hope for the best. Will let ya know how things go.......

Sounds like you ordered what you wanted. Did you get them? Any results yet?

For the others here....what is going on with Tikka? Seems like this is the year of the accurate Tikka story. I knew they were ok, but every web forum has somebody thrilled with a new Tikka running up their post count!

My dad has a Tikka 270 WSM/Leupold Vari II that regularly shoots 1” 3 shot groups. That is fine, but my factory Savage 12 bvss 300 WSM likes to put up 5 shot 0.6” groups, so.....not really comparable rifles, I guess.

Last edited:

bill460

Well, put in the order yesterday,
1 weatherby vanguard series 2 223 rem wood stock w/twist rate of 1/14
1 weatherby vanguard threat response 6.5 creedmoor w/twist rate of 1/8
supposed to be in by the end of the week. finally getting a 6.5 creedmoor. I hope for the best. Will let ya know how things go.......

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Weatherby Magnum. For a sporter it's a pretty accurate rifle.

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread. But just so you know, Weatherby Vanguards are nothing more than rebranded Howa 1500's. Weatherby does not manufacture their own rifles, and haven't for years.

The Mark V Deluxe is currently made by ATEK Corporation in Brainerd, Minnesota. While the barrel and action for the Vanguard Series is still being manufactured in Japan by Howa.

There is nothing "wrong" with this. It's simply the way Weatherby has chosen to operate. I believe some of the older Weatherby rifles that came out of the Southgate, California plant were actually manufactured by Roy Weatherby. However, this was back when Weatherby was first starting out, and before they utilized the Mark V Action. Many of the older Southgate rifles were built on Mauser actions.

Weatherby used to offer the "MOA" version of the Vanguard. Basically all they did was test fire the new guns for accuracy, as they came in from Howa. Then they would segregate the most accurate one's, and charge a premium price for them. They would then embellish the floorplate of these rifles with "MOA" on the bottom, in order to distinguish them from the run of the mill Vanguards. I believe they also included a test target.

My older Weatherby Vanguard was purchased before the whole "MOA" deal was started. It came with a signed and dated test target as well. I don't know if the newer non "MOA" models do or not. When you get your rifles, let us know.

Weatherby's new Sheridan, Wyoming facility is little more than a office complex, along with a warehouse that contains a small assembly area. There is no manufacturing machinery in it.

darkgael

The problem, as I see it, with the Weatherby, is its slow rifling twist (1-14, IIRC). This limits your bullet choices to 55 grains or lighter. There are a great many very accurate (longer and heavier) that will not reliably stabilize in that rifle.

bill460

The problem, as I see it, with the Weatherby, is its slow rifling twist (1-14, IIRC). This limits your bullet choices to 55 grains or lighter. There are a great many very accurate (longer and heavier) that will not reliably stabilize in that rifle.

I'm not sure if the Howa, (Weatherby Vanguard), is a 1-14" or a 1-12" twist. Either way it's too slow. I don't remember if I posted this before, but I picked up this Marlin X-7 in .223 a few years back. It has a 1-9" twist, which makes the rifle far more useful.

I don't understand why more manufacturers don't understand this, and stop producing .22 caliber centerfire rifles with these uselessly slow twist rates? It doesn't make sense. Especially when almost every 5.56 MM / .223 AR-15 rifle has either a 1-9", or a 1-7" twist. Seeing as Weatherby is paying Howa to manufacture these rifle for them. They could specify any twist rate barrel they want.

This is my Marlin X-7 after I fitted it with a Laminated thumbhole stock I picked up on a closeout from Boyd's. It was a beautiful drop in fit, and the gun shoots ragged one hole groups at 100 yards in calm conditions for as long as you want to sit and squeeze the trigger.

I picked the gun up new in the box for $250.00, and the stock for just $100.00 fully finished. The scope is a Nikon P-223 with the BDC Reticle that allows you to shoot to 600 yards with no holdover.

I got rid of the cheap Aluminum Picatinny scope base the rifle came with, and installed a set of Warne 2-Piece steel bases, along with a set of Burris Signature Zee Rings I had left over from another rifle project. It all came together nicely, and shoots well.

aSR1Hlz.jpg

bobn

well, it is a matter of perceived want/need. personally I like the 1 in 12 in a bolt gun. 50 grain bullets blow up nice, kinda like a 222 rem mag in the day. but then I am a fudd/geezer.
…...of course my heavy Anderson barreled ar has a 1 in 8 for 75 grainers.
jmho. bob

ps second the weatherby vanguard version of the 1500 as a nice rifle in that budget range.

taylorce1

1:12 twist is fine for target shooting at 300 yards like the OP wants, and still good for most varmint and predator hunting if he wants to take that up. It'll stabalize the majority of 55 grain bullets and even a few in the 60 grain range.

Andy1

Check out Armslist for a while. You can find a decent Ruger #1B .223 if you're patient. There's one on there now for $750 and a .22-250 for $700.

dvdcrr

I've got a stainless Ruger 22" M77 Mark II 223 with 1-12 twist barrel. It will stabillize 60 gr. Partitions. That is a pretty potent round I have seen to 235 yds, and so I do not feel that the 1-12 twist is too slow for general varmint or sensible deer hunting.