Most accurate powder scale under $50?

burbank jung said:
I'm not sure about the Mass and Weight explanation. I think of weight as the downward force of matter by gravity. So aren't you countering the Weight of the powder to the weight of the counter-weights on the balance? Mass is amount of matter, right? So for example, your weight on the moon is less than on the earth. Your mass is the same.
burbank_jung is offline Add Infraction for burbank_jung Report Post IP Edit Message

The difference is that a balance will give you the same result on the moon as it does on earth, while a scale will say the object has six times less weight, from which you might erroneously conclude the mass had got six times lower. The scale result varies with gravity, while the balance result does not because it uses the same masses as the counterweights. Normally, we compensate the scale using calibration weights, which works on earth, but if you went to the moon and tried to do that, the scale would give you a calibration error notice.

In general, loading and shooting are concerned with mass. Powder mass determines the pressure it will produce, which won't change on the moon. Bullet mass is needed to calculate momentum and kinetic energy and determine the reaction force the powder builds pressure against. On earth, gravity is consistent enough to generally use weight as a surrogate for mass as if it were the same thing. It varies about 0.7% with high values at the tops of mountains because, despite the increased distance from the center of the earth, the density of rock is higher than the average ground, so its gravity is greater. The low points are over deep parts of the ocean because water's density is lower than rock's (why rocks sink).

In the United States, though, the variation is only about 0.2%. That's an error of 0.1 grains of powder out of 50. So even if you dragged your scale up atop a major mountain without recalibrating it with a standard check weight, your powder charges would only be light by that much when you weighed them at a gravity low point.

BJung

Thanks Uncle Nick. Your comments are like the guy with the camp flood light that illuminates knowledge in the darkness...

olduser

Stay away from the "National Metallic" brand from Midway USA. I have a Gem 20 and it seems to be more than adequate for reloading. I do hate the automatic turn off feature.

I actually got one the National Metallic scales when it was on sale for $25 because I needed the high load limit for a project. I've been pleasantly surprised by how stable mine is. I've left it on for over a week with no drift or calibration change. It disagrees by 0.1 grain on the high side with a better scale I have, but that's the worst of its sins.

That said, with inexpensive scales you are often in a catch-as-catch-can situation, where one copy of the scale is great and the next copy drifts like a leaf on the wind. So I won't make a blanket recommendation of the NM scale. I only have proof that it is possible to get a good one.

Metal god said:
For what the OP wants it for IMHO a digital scale is best . No way I’d want to adjust a beam scale every bullet , piece of brass or anything I need to way multiple pieces that are likely to weigh different amounts with each piece . I use the cheap Lyman digital scale for that very thing but the linked scale by hawndog looks good .
I agree -- for the purpose described a digital scale is the only way to go. And that's coming from someone who owns two digital scales but only uses a beam balance for reloading, and who owns a digital caliper but always uses a mechanical dial caliper.

The reason is exactly what Metal god said: with a beam balance if each piece is even slightly different in weight (or mass -- whatever you choose to call it), you have to move at least one of the sliders to weigh each and every piece. With a digital scale, you just put the piece on the platform and read off the weight.

hounddawg

just an update on the Gem20. According to a forum member on another gun forum the latest firmware on the Gem20 provides a way to disarm the auto shutoff. It did not work on my scale's version however