Most accurate .223... LIGHT...bolt action??

grimjaw

The CZ 527 Carbine in .223 has a 1-12" twist, so the heavier loads might not stabilize as well. I can vouch for it being a light, well-balanced rifle, though. The American is slightly heavier and longer, but has a 1-9" twist.

jmm

FirstFreedom

one more thing - I like tiny's idea of the Rem model 7 - you said you want 22" barrel or longer though, for muzzle blast reasons. But I have to say that 20" in a .223 is not bad at all muzzle-blast-wise. In the GI ammo you have, those rounds are designed to burn most all the powder within less than 20" (after all, M16s with 16" bbl and M4s with 14.5" bbls are the standard now). So I'd run with the 5.25 lb model 7. Beautiful rifle. As for twist rates, fuh-get about it! You said this is for loads of GI ammo - it's gonna be 55 or 62, and will shoot fine out of any good modern rifle with 1 in 12 or faster.

Nevermind - I see it's a done deal. :)

USNairman

I'm pretty sure only the varmint kevlar model CZ has the 1-12 twist - all the other .223 are a 1-9. At least that is what CZ emailed and told me when I asked them what twist rates their rifles had.

Lavan

I stayed with Savage as I really like that Accutrigger. NO, it is not the prettiest gun in the world, but from what research I have done, most owners of the Savage are quite pleased with the accuracy. 1 to 2" at 100 will suit me fine. I also think that Nikon will help with the target definition.

I....really..... liked the Accutrigger on the heavy varminter but just made a mistake in getting a gun that is really only practical on a bench. Lugging it around just plinking could get very sweaty.

Being that it was a "mistake" (for my purposes) the "straight across...no extry money" was appealing also. Had I used my head the FIRST time, I probably would have bought a Tikka. But, I have my PURTY guns and this one is gonna be a SHOOTIN gun. Yeah, I know, you can have BOTH, but I've also had the disappointment of putting a teeensy scratch on a purty one.

A place for everything and everything in its place. :D

I'll let you know how it shoots.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
My Ruger 77 Mk II sporter in .223 has always given 1/2 MOA with 50-grain to short, stubby 70-grain bullets. After I installed a Timney trigger, it was easier. I've done no tweaking with the bedding.

I was killing prairie dogs to near-300 yards, a few weeks back. I figure that rifle's a keeper. :)

Art